Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying shrimp off the boat

vCash

Buying shrimp off the boat

I'm in biloxi this weekend and leaving Monday morning and was hoping to stop by the docks and get some shrimp. Can anyone help me on which marina is the best to go to? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

vCash
    Behind the Hard Rock.

Wherever you end up going, let us know how the size/prices were. I need to get a bunch before I head north for the 4th.

vCash
    Not only the marinas but if you see a van with Asian women in them (they're usually everywhere roadside), they sell fresh shrimp too. Usually the husband and sons shrimp and the woman sell roadside for extra cash. Any Marina should be pretty easy to find some shrimp but folks roadside are usually selling the same thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Not only the marinas but if you see a van with Asian women in them (they're usually everywhere roadside), they sell fresh shrimp too. Usually the husband and sons shrimp and the woman sell roadside for extra cash. Any Marina should be pretty easy to find some shrimp but folks roadside are usually selling the same thing
    +1. This is what I usually do, since the same woman has been selling down the road from my house for years. White van with the back doors open and a hammock = shrimp. From my experience they usually charge a little more, but they can pop the heads off for you faster than I thought possible.

vCash
    The shrimp were a little small which is to be expected early in the season. They were going for 4.50 a pound for the jumbos and 3/lbs for the regulars. I went ahead and got some since I'm not sure when I will be back down this way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    The shrimp were a little small which is to be expected early in the season. They were going for 4.50 a pound for the jumbos and 3/lbs for the regulars. I went ahead and got some since I'm not sure when I will be back down this way.
    Cheaper than I thought. May have to venture down there Thursday morning.

vCash
    Since I have got home and started the deheading process I'm pleased to see that many of the shrimp are larger than I thought. Not sure when I will get the chance but I can't wait to put some on the grill. May not be until the 4th but I can sure taste them already.

vCash
    Picked some up at the Pass harbor this morning for $3.50/lb.

vCash
    Why are y'all popping the heads? If you're boiling them, do it with the head on.. makes them taste better...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    Why are y'all popping the heads? If you're boiling them, do it with the head on.. makes them taste better...
    I agree with crawfish ... never tried it with shrimp, now I'm curious
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Just the way I have always done it. Next time I get some I will try it.

vCash
    Good looking skrimps

vCash
    Anybody have any recommendations for buying shrimp in Gulfport? Have to run from one business meeting on the coast to another in Jackson and don't have time to run to Biloxi or the Pass.

vCash
    I agree that the head does add to the taste, but mine taste just fine without and are much easier to eat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I agree that the head does add to the taste, but mine taste just fine without and are much easier to eat.
    I've never felt the head adds to the taste, but I feel like it's basically nothing to dehead them while you're eating, but a pain to do it before hand. If I can get the people on the boat to dehead them, I do that, or if I am doing something besides boiling them, I'll dehead them prior to cooking. But if I'm boil them, I barely notice them when I eat them.

vCash
    Last edited by NashvilleStache; 07-03-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Double post

vCash
    Where is the best area in PCB for direct purchase, if possible? Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleStache View Post
    Where is the best area in PCB for direct purchase, if possible? Thanks.
    Don't know if it's the 'best', but if you go to the harbor you will see a few boats selling them. Not my usual place but last time I went the boats were on the docks coming from the east side (not the Shaggy's side). They've done so much work that may have changed. Can also get oysters there although probably not now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Don't know if it's the 'best', but if you go to the harbor you will see a few boats selling them. Not my usual place but last time I went the boats were on the docks coming from the east side (not the Shaggy's side). They've done so much work that may have changed. Can also get oysters there although probably not now.
    This is correct if he's talking about Pass Christian, but I assumed he meant Panama City Beach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I've never felt the head adds to the taste, but I feel like it's basically nothing to dehead them while you're eating, but a pain to do it before hand. If I can get the people on the boat to dehead them, I do that, or if I am doing something besides boiling them, I'll dehead them prior to cooking. But if I'm boil them, I barely notice them when I eat them.
    If you have larger shrimps you can suck their head fat out just like a crawfish. That's why I prefer them heads-on.

(I know, this sounds dirty.....)