Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overall Secondary Rankings ESPN

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Why? Because they rated Ole Miss higher than us? 5th is honestly a little higher than I would've thought. We have a lot to prove at Safety going into this year. For the record, I think we can be a top 5 secondary, but I'm surprised that ESPN recognizes that. OM has a good secondary too. Conner, Elston (sp?), and Pruitt are legit. I don't know that I would have them at #1 though, because I dont know what they have behind those 3.

BUT - to the bigger point, people on here are freaking out at every list. Phil Steele, Athlon, Lindy's, Sporting News, and ESPN have all been called out as being biased, uninformed, lazy, stupid, etc. Just take the lists for what they're worth; almost nothing. They are preseason lists for entertainment purposes. They won't look anything like the post season lists. Everything I've seen says we are middle of the SEC to top third. That means we're very talented and that we have a chance to surprise a team or two and finish in the top 5 of the SEC. Let it play out and quit getting pissy at everyone that's not on our jock.
    You're correct. I had a knee jerk reaction and admit I was wrong. If you would read further, you'd see that.

I'm with you, I think tsun will be stout in secondary. Just like us. SOME people on the board cannot fathom that the bears can be good too. Which is why their either kids or Gene's regulars.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblyh View Post
    What is this higher pass defense you're talking about?
    http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Por...l/confonly.htm
    I am glad this shit head got banned. Looks like a couple of black bears got through the cracks. One you were able to curtail pretty quickly but this dumb ass had an account since what September? You be slacking Coach.

vCash
    Ehhh, we have some sensitive people on here. They give both us and OM credit, which was probably earned. If these guys were good enough to seperate the top 5, they wouldn't be writing for ESPN. They would be scouting or making money for an NFL team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Exactly

the OM Secondary is not better than ours- but they are good at Safety. Nobody disputes that.

OM should be very on D also this season- they just won't be State or Bama good.
    Exactly. TSUN will have a very good defense (and secondary), probably top half of the SEC. I never said they wouldn't. I'm not that ignorant. They have very good safeties (Prewitt, Conner, and possibly Alford/Hampton, etc.), but I think state will have a better secondary and defense as a whole because they are deeper and more experienced. Specifically and to this thread, I think State will have a deeper, more versatile, and experienced secondary (maybe not the same top end talent as TSUN.) All I was saying is going off of last year's stats there isnt much of a discrepancy between the two secondaries. With that being said State and Ole Miss lose the following:

Ole Miss

Collins: 20 tackles .5TL 1 fumble recovery
    Sawyer: 11 tackles 1 INT

they also will be without Chief Brown and Bobby Hill this year:

Brown: 38 tackels 1 fumble recovery 1 INT

These guys started a combined 8 games.

State

Whitley: 55 tackles 5 INT

Now I get that Whitley's loss probably hurts more in that he had more impact and he was a starter, but it's not like Ole Miss loses less or brings back more from last year. And again, they were 8th in the SEC in passing yards allowed and State was 5th. I don't see how I am being seen as a troll or ignorant when I am mostly bringing facts....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner2 View Post
    Exactly. TSUN will have a very good defense (and secondary), probably top half of the SEC. I never said they wouldn't. I'm not that ignorant. They have very good safeties (Prewitt, Conner, and possibly Alford/Hampton, etc.), but I think state will have a better secondary and defense as a whole because they are deeper and more experienced. Specifically and to this thread, I think State will have a deeper, more versatile, and experienced secondary (maybe not the same top end talent as TSUN.) All I was saying is going off of last year's stats there isnt much of a discrepancy between the two secondaries. With that being said State and Ole Miss lose the following:

Ole Miss

State

Now I get that Whitley's loss probably hurts more in that he had more impact and he was a starter, but it's not like Ole Miss loses less or brings back more from last year. And again, they were 8th in the SEC in passing yards allowed and State was 5th. I don't see how I am being seen as a troll or ignorant when I am mostly bringing facts....
    Losing a starter vs them losing a few backups isn't really the same thing I dont think. Also just lookin at passing yards allowed is a little short sighted.

They also add Shepard if his dumba$$ can pass and as much as I hate to admit it I think he'll be pretty good.

vCash
    Shepard isnt a dumbass. No need to say that. He has a disability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    Shepard isnt a dumbass. No need to say that. He has a disability.
    He's a dumba$$ bc he acts like a dumba$$. It ain't got nuthin to do with his disability. Not to downplay his disability but that dont make him immune to makin bad decisions. I wasnt saying nothing ill about his disability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RState View Post
    He's a dumba$$ bc he acts like a dumba$$. It ain't got nuthin to do with his disability. Not to downplay his disability but that dont make him immune to makin bad decisions. I wasnt saying nothing ill about his disability.
    How does he act like a dumbass?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    How does he act like a dumbass?
    A buddy of mine showed me his instagram. Go check that out and report back to the group about what you think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstate88 View Post
    So what are you saying exactly? that our secondary is bar none better than OM? can you elaborate on why we still gave up 8 more TDs passing? Just trying to wrap my head around this logical argument
    If you watched state at all last year, you'd know we got better and better as the year went on. Our numbers were inflated by a terrible game vs lsu. Our secondary was very, very good by the end of the year

vCash
    A buddy of mine showed me his instagram. Go check that out and report back to the group about what you think.
    Care for me to screenshot half our teams twitter / instagram? Id imagine we couldnt field a starting 22 if we didnt allow college students with social media to say "dumbass" things

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If you watched state at all last year, you'd know we got better and better as the year went on. Our numbers were inflated by a terrible game vs lsu. Our secondary was very, very good by the end of the year
    THIS

This is the same problem that we're having in the Dak vs Bo debate. The problem with using stats to decide these questions is that stats disregard talent and weight against young players that improved as the year went on last season, but may not have been near their current level of production when the season started.

To any sane person, Dak is far more talented of a QB than Bo Wallace. It's just not close. However, because Dak was getting his feet wet last year and operating within an offense that wasn't committed to him, his numbers don't quite represent the quality of QB he is I was at the end of last season.

OM could also use this argument for Conner, but using 8 TD passes last season to say that OM's secondary will be better this year, is very very weak and not really relevant. Look at talent levels and ability. If you are unable to do that, then you probably have no business trying to rank this stuff.

Banned
    vCash
    Losing a starter vs them losing a few backups isn't really the same thing I dont think. Also just lookin at passing yards allowed is a little short sighted.

They also add Shepard if his dumba$$ can pass and as much as I hate to admit it I think he'll be pretty good.
    Shepard is completely overrated. My nephew went to Holmes last semester (just transferred up to EMCC & is living in Starkvegas now) and told me MULTIPLE times that he wasn't as good as the media and crootin sights say.

vCash
    I think someone said on here a few days ago that Shepard is back in California instead of at Holmes earning credits. If that's true, then he's most likely not planning on playing for Ole Miss this fall.

vCash
    Well he was good enough for our coaching staff to want.....Ill trust our coaches over your nephew.

vCash
    I think both us and the Bears have pretty good defensive backfields, but Ole Miss first is a big stretch. Prewitt is the real deal. However, he still gets lost in space a lot during the times I've watched him. Conner still has much to prove. Their corners are suspect. We should be fairly deep with Rashun Dixon being a wild card.
    Last edited by msudawg1200; 06-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I think someone said on here a few days ago that Shepard is back in California instead of at Holmes earning credits. If that's true, then he's most likely not planning on playing for Ole Miss this fall.
    I don't think he realistically had any chance of qualifying. It was a pipe dream no matter who he signed with. He actually had to do more to catch up then Dontae Jones did but at least Jones applied himself when he had to. This guy had no chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner2 View Post

Ole Miss

State

I agree with you.

They have two good starters at safety and some other players, but I think our depth sets us apart. One of the articles actually said we have five corners and five safeties ready to play.