Thread: Bayou Classic Cypress Grill

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash

Bayou Classic Cypress Grill

Anyone have experience with one of these? Bayou_Classic_Cypress_Grill.jpg
    My groomsmen surprised me with this and I'm itching to try it out. Any tips, tricks, or general advice I need to know before I use it? I know that I need the lump charcoal and to avoid lighter fluid.

vCash
    Very good grills. Congrats on the purchase. I would suggest calling Paul at Paul Anthony's Market in Jackson. He's a certified Bayou Classic dealer and knows all the ins and outs. Also a great guy. If anyone is looking for one, is call him first. One thing I know you have to do is break it in at a lower temperature to cook the ceramic. After it's properly broken in, you can cook at the high temps. You're gonna love it.

vCash
    Thanks, I may just go by his store because I need a cover anyway. Do you own one of these grills? If so, did you leave it in the stand that it came with or did you do something more elaborate? I'm thinking of building a prep table around it for more space.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Looks like a green egg knock off. If so you will enjoy the hell out of it. I'll get into some booze later today and try to give a few things I learned from having mine for 4 years.

vCash
    Thanks, I used it the other night for the first time and cooked some ribs and chicken wings on it. No complaints so far. It's simple to use and the meat was some of the juiciest I've ever had. Do you use any sort of wood chips in yours? I want to in mine, but I'm afraid that I'll be stuck with using one type of wood forever since they seem to season really well. Is your GE just on a stand or do you have an outdoor kitchen setup?

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    On a stand. No worries on the chips. Will only get the flavor from the chips you smoke not the seasoning of the grill.

Does this product have something similar to what the egg calls a place setter? It basically turns it into a convection grill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Does this product have something similar to what the egg calls a place setter? It basically turns it into a convection grill
    Not that I see, does it go in the grill itself? I wonder if I could use a GE brand in mine?

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Yes it does. Go to the egg website and look at the accessories to get an idea of what it is. It may fit your grill. To me it's a must-have. I NEVER cook chicken with out it. Any kind of chicken cuts. Use it for ribs, pork, basically anything that could get dry. Hell I use it with my burgers.