Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phil Steele's Top 15 QB Units

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDawg View Post
    Either way you look at it, those are good numbers by Wallace, and they trended up, showing improvement. If he continues that trend, he'll be a damn good QB. I don't care if he got those numbers with bubble-screens and shovel passes, he posted those numbers, so he deserves some credit for it.

Dak has much more upside than Wallace, but he's still somewhat unproven. He's carrying a lot of hype because of his performance against Rice, but Rice is still Rice. Until Prescott performs at that level against some upper tier teams, he's not going to get the recognition some of you are wanting.
    Against SEC (only) competition:

Wallace- 204/317 64% 283 PYPG 17 RYPG (300 Total yards per game). 1.25 total TDs per game and 1.125 INTs per game

Prescott- 100/171 58% 181 PYPG 88 RYPG (269 Total yards per game). 1.67 total TDs per game and .83 INTs per game

In sum, while Wallace had a higher completion percentage and passing yardage, it is obvious that he was throwing shorter passes (more attempts per game and less yardage per completion), but still throwing more interceptions and accumulating less touchdowns. Also a huge advantage to Dak in the running game. Wallace only scored 2 rushing TDs against SEC competition, with all 2 against Vandy.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully01 View Post
    I agree with what someone said on here earlier this year that with Wallace's arm at full strength he will have more interceptions and a lower completion percentage this year. It's easy to put up numbers when you throw screens to Laquan Treadwell nearly half the time. Those short passes are easy to complete and usually low risk for getting picked off. I think that we will see the Wallace of two years ago where he had as many INTs as TDs. He doesn't have his precious go to receiver anymore either. Moncrief is a bigger loss then they realize.
    I agree about Moncrief, but bottom line is without Wallace they probably aren't bowl eligible in either of the last two years. He's an above average QB, not sure why our fans don't want to admit the truth. I think he was actually better in 2012 than in 2013. Is he better than Prescott? Probably not. Can I see why the national media would rank them similarly at this point? Sure.
    Last edited by Goat Holder; 06-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    Either way you look at it, those are good numbers by Wallace, and they trended up, showing improvement. If he continues that trend, he'll be a damn good QB. I don't care if he got those numbers with bubble-screens and shovel passes, he posted those numbers, so he deserves some credit for it.

Dak has much more upside than Wallace, but he's still somewhat unproven. He's carrying a lot of hype because of his performance against Rice, but Rice is still Rice. Until Prescott performs at that level against some upper tier teams, he's not going to get the recognition some of you are wanting.
    Bringing up the USC game when knowing what he was going through personally is bad form. His mother was dieing of cancer. His mother died of cancer the week of the A&M game. Knowing what we know now looking back on things, it's a wonder he did as well as he did or even played at all in those games. Those are difficult obstacles for anyone to go through much less someone his age.

He is a warrior and an awesome guy. There are reasons he is looked at as a dark horse Heisman candidate. IMO, I think Dak will have a record setting year this year. He just has IT. He is a natural born leader and the football team loves playing with him. He has all of the intangibles Bro Wallace does not which is why Dak will have the much better season and win us 10+ games.

vCash
    And how many of those games did State win? The media typically doesn't care about moral victories, much like yourself. He also didn't play much against LSU, didn't play against Bama, played terribly against USCe and played very little against OM. All of that missed time against quality opponents tells me he still has some proving to do.

Also, you should never tout someone's offensive performance against TAMU's 2013 defense. That was a joke of a defense. Note to any Sensitive Sally's: I'm not knocking Dak with that previous statement; I'm just stating how terrible TAMU's defense was.
    there's more to Daks career than just games played last season ... he had playing time the year before that as well
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post
    I agree about Moncrief, but bottom line is without Wallace they probably aren't bowl eligible in either of the last two years. He's an above average QB, not sure why our fans don't want to admit the truth. I think he was actually better in 2012 than in 2013. Is he better than Prescott? Probably not. Can I see why the national media would rank them similarly at this point? Sure.
    He is an above average quarterback but he is no leader.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    And how many of those games did State win? The media typically doesn't care about moral victories, much like yourself. He also didn't play much against LSU, didn't play against Bama, played terribly against USCe and played very little against OM. All of that missed time against quality opponents tells me he still has some proving to do.

Also, you should never tout someone's offensive performance against TAMU's 2013 defense. That was a joke of a defense. Note to any Sensitive Sally's: I'm not knocking Dak with that previous statement; I'm just stating how terrible TAMU's defense was.
    And what has Wallace actually proven against upper tier teams? That shit offense barely had a pulse against defenses worth a ****. The LSU game was an anomaly and Metts worst game of career, throwing 3 INTs into his scoring endzone. Bro was shut down by us and Mizzou to close out year, after defenses figured out how to stop him. Do you think the rest of the SEC is ignoring the game tapes of those two defensive performances?

On flip side, auburn was Dak's first start of career in one of most hostile environments in SEC, only to lose because the defense went full ***** on the last drive. Dak had us in position to win that game if Collins nuts up and doesn't go prevent. Dak was also splitting time and playing through injury because Mullen insists in using a mini me RB in the read option offense. Dak was the power back last year a majority of the time. You can't use your QB that way and expect 0.00 injuries. Now that JRob and Shump will get a majority of carries, we won't rely on Dak to shoulder the power running load. To a logical mind, all of these things combined with the experience returning on the entire team, one would suspect Dak will leave Bro in the dust in 2014. Not to mention the experience coming back on defense which should be able to keep games low scoring, thus allowing us to run our offense the way it's designed. Opposed to having to air it out and play catch up.

Phil Steele is either a complete moron or too GD lazy to do a little research on last year, watch some games, and know who teams have coming back. Either leave OM and those other lesser QB's off or put our group ahead of OM. Phil is basically saying a QB who striggles to complete further than 15 yards downfield and a guy who has barely played are better than a QB group that consists of a preseason Heisman list and betting odds QB and a So. backup who held his own the last two games of season, one of which was against Bro. Anyone who takes Phil seriously after this and him ranking us #34, is on the same moronic level as Phil. I stopped taking this clown serious years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    And what has Wallace actually proven against upper tier teams? That shit offense barely had a pulse against defenses worth a ****. The LSU game was an anomaly and Metts worst game of career, throwing 3 INTs into his scoring endzone. Bro was shut down by us and Mizzou to close out year, after defenses figured out how to stop him. Do you think the rest of the SEC is ignoring the game tapes of those two defensive performances?

On flip side, auburn was Dak's first start of career in one of most hostile environments in SEC, only to lose because the defense went full ***** on the last drive. Dak had us in position to win that game if Collins nuts up and doesn't go prevent. Dak was also splitting time and playing through injury because Mullen insists in using a mini me RB in the read option offense. Dak was the power back last year a majority of the time. You can't use your QB that way and expect 0.00 injuries. Now that JRob and Shump will get a majority of carries, we won't rely on Dak to shoulder the power running load. To a logical mind, all of these things combined with the experience returning on the entire team, one would suspect Dak will leave Bro in the dust in 2014. Not to mention the experience coming back on defense which should be able to keep games low scoring, thus allowing us to run our offense the way it's designed. Opposed to having to air it out and play catch up.

Phil Steele is either a complete moron or too GD lazy to do a little research on last year, watch some games, and know who teams have coming back. Either leave OM and those other lesser QB's off or put our group ahead of OM. Phil is basically saying a QB who striggles to complete further than 15 yards downfield and a guy who has barely played are better than a QB group that consists of a preseason Heisman list and betting odds QB and a So. backup who held his own the last two games of season, one of which was against Bro. Anyone who takes Phil seriously after this and him ranking us #34, is on the same moronic level as Phil. I stopped taking this clown serious years ago.
    Actually Wallace is the only QB on TSUN's roster than has ever played D1 football... Thats how retarded this is

vCash
    Old Dominion?! Huh? I don't get it. I can see Wallace as propaganda for the Bears, but Old Dominion?

vCash
    This may be PS worse article this year so far. And that is saying a lot..

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully01 View Post
    Bringing up the USC game when knowing what he was going through personally is bad form. His mother was dieing of cancer. His mother died of cancer the week of the A&M game. Knowing what we know now looking back on things, it's a wonder he did as well as he did or even played at all in those games. Those are difficult obstacles for anyone to go through much less someone his age.

He is a warrior and an awesome guy. There are reasons he is looked at as a dark horse Heisman candidate. IMO, I think Dak will have a record setting year this year. He just has IT. He is a natural born leader and the football team loves playing with him. He has all of the intangibles Bro Wallace does not which is why Dak will have the much better season and win us 10+ games.
    I agree with everything you said, but the media isn't concerned with reasons, excuses, explanations, etc. They're concerned with the stats and the outcomes of games.

I realize that was a damn near impossible situation in Columbia for him, but I'm willing to bet a majority of the media don't know about his personal struggles; they only know he had an unusually large amount of turnovers and played poorly.

vCash
    I agree with everything you said, but the media isn't concerned with reasons, excuses, explanations, etc. They're concerned with the stats and the outcomes of games.

I realize that was a damn near impossible situation in Columbia for him, but I'm willing to bet a majority of the media don't know about his personal struggles; they only know he had an unusually large amount of turnovers and played poorly.
    That's the problem 90% of the media don't do their job.
    And btw
    28-43 with 3 int
    15-100 and 2 tds rushing
    In the USCe game
    Isn't that bad a line considering the circumstances he played under..

vCash
    I didn't read the whole article on each team , I saw where he had OM and I laughed. I read it and laughed again when I saw the name Buchanan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
    6. Auburn Tigers
    Nick Marshall did not join the Tigers until the fall last year, but adapted quickly to the offense and got better each week. He threw for 1,976 yards, completed 59 percent of his passes and had a 14-to-6 TD-to-INT ratio. He also ran for 1,068 yards, and was the trigger man for an offense that averaged 501 yards per game. This year, I look for him to be an improved passer and his backup Jeremy Johnson (PS No. 13) is now an experienced sophomore.
    I still don't understand all the love for Nick Marshall as a legitimate quarterback. I mean these numbers are pretty bad, especially considering the team averaged 501 yards per game. He was pretty awful early in the season, and then got a little better and just didn't crap the bed. His numbers are comparable to Dak Prescott's, except Dak was sharing the load for a good part of the season with Tyler Russell. I'm not saying State or Dak for that matter should be ranked higher, I just think it is a bit silly or sad that this is considered cream of the crop this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner2 View Post
    Against SEC (only) competition:

Wallace- 204/317 64% 283 PYPG 17 RYPG (300 Total yards per game). 1.25 total TDs per game and 1.125 INTs per game

Prescott- 100/171 58% 181 PYPG 88 RYPG (269 Total yards per game). 1.67 total TDs per game and .83 INTs per game

In sum, while Wallace had a higher completion percentage and passing yardage, it is obvious that he was throwing shorter passes (more attempts per game and less yardage per completion), but still throwing more interceptions and accumulating less touchdowns. Also a huge advantage to Dak in the running game. Wallace only scored 2 rushing TDs against SEC competition, with all 2 against Vandy.

Dak's per game numbers are highly skewed by the amount of time he shared with other QB's.

vCash
    hahahahaha hahahahaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by codeDawg View Post
    Dak's per game numbers are highly skewed by the amount of time he shared with other QB's.
    Exactly. Dak had more yards and TDs per completion while throwing less INTs. AND he had ALOT more rushing yards and TDs in less time.

vCash
    I think it's good that people don't know what we have at QB. Let them stay in the dark until it's time.