Thread: Strange Eats

vCash

Strange Eats

I think there was a thread about strange dishes that you've eaten, but I couldn't find it. I recently took a trip to Korea (my 2nd) and was surprised by some of the meals. I had a chance to try some unique dishes that were surprisingly good. The one thing that really stood out was the cow heart. It was absolutely delicious. It was cooked on the table Korean BBQ style. I also had 2 different cow stomachs. One was pretty good, but extremely chewy. The other was tender, but had a really strange texture.

Anyone else have any strange, but surprisingly good meals?

vCash
    I don't know if it would be considered strange as much as different but I want to fry "sea spiders". Fast forward to 2:35 to find out how to cook and what a sea spider is

vCash
    fried twinkies are a gift from above.

I consider myself a pretty diverse foodie, but I really haven't tried anything too crazy. I love ethnic food, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, etc... but the dishes are usually just a variation on chicken, beef, shrimp, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    fried twinkies are a gift from above.

I consider myself a pretty diverse foodie, but I really haven't tried anything too crazy. I love ethnic food, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, etc... but the dishes are usually just a variation on chicken, beef, shrimp, etc...
    Thai simply can not be beat .... I've had BBQ beaver and fried water moccasin ... as far as the cow goes - I have to stop at the organs
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    BBQ raccoon thighs, squirrel brains and eggs, and fried rattlesnake were...interesting. Out of all of them, I'd choose the coon first if I had to eat any again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I don't know if it would be considered strange as much as different but I want to fry "sea spiders". Fast forward to 2:35 to find out how to cook and what a sea spider is

HA! I was wondering through that whole video, "What the hell is a sea spider!?!". Never heard of doing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    BBQ raccoon thighs, squirrel brains and eggs, and fried rattlesnake were...interesting. Out of all of them, I'd choose the coon first if I had to eat any again.
    my great grandmother preferred scrambled squirrel brains over scrambled eggs. Funny how the old folks used to save everything. My grandfather tells stories about catching possums and fattening them up for about 2 weeks on grain.... I think i'll pass.

vCash
    On a trip through the jungle in Gabon Africa, a roadside barbeque had grilled a gutted monkey whole. I stayed with the spam we brought, but the locals do eat them.

vCash
    When I was in England, we went to the Borough Market and I had some fresh uni (sea urchin) from a seafood vendor. It was amazing.

Though not strange, but at that same vendor I also had THE BEST oysters I've ever eaten (and I'm from the coast); they were salty, briny, little nuggets of ocean joy. I'm normally either a hot sauce or cocktail sauce guy, but for those bad boys, I just used a couple of drips of lemon juice. Fuc'n'hell....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    When I was in England, we went to the Borough Market and I had some fresh uni (sea urchin) from a seafood vendor. It was amazing.

Though not strange, but at that same vendor I also had THE BEST oysters I've ever eaten (and I'm from the coast); they were salty, briny, little nuggets of ocean joy. I'm normally either a hot sauce or cocktail sauce guy, but for those bad boys, I just used a couple of drips of lemon juice. Fuc'n'hell....
    I'm an oyster snob. I hate it, but it's true. From the gulf and won't eat gulf oysters. Have to be up the eastern seaboard in cooler waters for me to enjoy them. Absolutely love the northeastern oysters.

I can guarantee you that you were eating local oysters out of cooler water. Try some the next time you're in the northeast and you'll love them too.

Banned
    vCash
    I've had squirrel brains, surprisingly pretty good. If i kill it, i am going to use all i can, I figure I owe it that much. Remove the eyes if you wish, roll in flour fry like frying the rest of the squirrel (tongues ain't bad either).