Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Thread

vCash
    Goal, Arjen Robben. FIVE to one Dutch. Could this be a passing of the world football torch from Spanish to whoever wins this season? Either way, would hate to play Spain next.

vCash
    Listen to these fans….

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would likely cause a Spain v Brazil second round game if Spain goes through. Correct?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    Goal, Arjen Robben. FIVE to one Dutch. Could this be a passing of the world football torch from Spanish to whoever wins this season? Either way, would hate to play Spain next.
    I honestly didn't view Spain as serious contenders this year coming in. I figured they'd definitely get out of the group, which now looks like a challenge, but I thought the quarters or possibly semis was absolutely as far as they could go. Guys like Xavi weren't overly athletic at their peak, and you just can't consistently beat world-class opponents at this level without some youth and athleticism to give you a spark.

I don't expect the Dutch to compete, either, though this win is certainly impressive. I think it's going to come down to Brazil, Germany, and Argentina.

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would likely cause a Spain v Brazil second round game if Spain goes through. Correct?
    Yes, whoever finishes 2nd in that group. I think that might be Chile, though.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    #1 A vs. #2 B
    #1 B vs. #2 A

So if Spain is the #2 from B and Brazil is the #1 from A, then yes.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I agree with most of that, except argentina. Weak defense, Messi hasn't shown up big enough internationally yet. They have the potential, certainly, mainly bc of the five names in attach, but I don't expect much more than a quarter final from them.

Just look at Spain as an example. All the attacking ability in the world, but terrible defense today and they are being hammered. Problem is, this defense is proven as being a good one (barring today), and Argentina's is proven the exact opposite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    #1 A vs. #2 B
    #1 B vs. #2 A

So if Spain is the #2 from B and Brazil is the #1 from A, then yes.
    And I don't see anyone knocking off Brazil in that group. Croatia is, to me, the second best, and they just got beaten pretty handily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yes, whoever finishes 2nd in that group. I think that might be Chile, though.
    Would surprise me. Would pick them to go through most groups, though. Just don't think they match spain well. But very possible now, especially with the goal difference Spain needs to make up.

vCash
    5-1 Netherlands FT

Group B Standings:

Netherlands 3 pts
    Spain 0 pts
    Chile and Australia yet to play.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I agree with most of that, except argentina. Weak defense, Messi hasn't shown up big enough internationally yet. They have the potential, certainly, mainly bc of the five names in attach, but I don't expect much more than a quarter final from them.

Just look at Spain as an example. All the attacking ability in the world, but terrible defense today and they are being hammered. Problem is, this defense is proven as being a good one (barring today), and Argentina's is proven the exact opposite.
    Argentina's defense is definitely weak, but I think their attack is so strong it won't matter against most of the teams they'll face.

And I think Messi's problem has mostly been coach and scheme. Maradona was a complete joke as a coach and had absolutely no idea what he was doing. Their current coach has built the team around Messi in a way that fits him, and he tore it up in qualifying. I expect him to compete with Neymar (and now maybe Van Persie and Robben) for the golden boot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Argentina's defense is definitely weak, but I think their attack is so strong it won't matter against most of the teams they'll face.

And I think Messi's problem has mostly been coach and scheme. Maradona was a complete joke as a coach and had absolutely no idea what he was doing. Their current coach has built the team around Messi in a way that fits him, and he tore it up in qualifying. I expect him to compete with Neymar (and now maybe Van Persie and Robben) for the golden boot.
    Well, as a Madrid fan, I hope that doesn't happen haha. But you're right, that offense will cruise through the group. The big test will be when they see a team with a staunch defense, can they posses and defend enough to win? I don't really think so, at least I haven't been convinced yet. Weak defense, average midfield, great attack. Most of their best guys (Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi) are final third players, and I think that will make it hard for them to win a WC. Di Maria is the only real creator, so I just don't see them having enough possession to allow that offense to outscore a really good team.

vCash
    Australia and Chile are coming onto the pitch now. Final match of the day and the second match of Group B will begin in approximately 6 minutes.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Australia and Chile are coming onto the pitch now. Final match of the day and the second match of Group B will begin in approximately 6 minutes.
    Very excited to see Chile. They have some big names, some good history, but mostly I'm excited bc they kinda play a "dumb" style. Don't care who they are playing, they are going to attack and see what happens. They should be involved in some very dramatic games IMO

vCash
    Ref, do you know where this game is? Just turned to it, stadium looks really English in style

vCash
    Ref, do you know where this game is? Just turned to it, stadium looks really English in style
    ARENA PANTANAL, CUIAB?, BRAZIL
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Thanks. It's loud and exciting. Seems like a good number of Aussies there. This is going to be an underrated game. Not huge names but it'll be very up tempo. If you're trying to flip a non soccer fan, show them chile

vCash
    Goal alexis sanchez. 1-0 chile after 11'

vCash
    I think I said something about chile being exciting?? Wow. 2-0 chile another goal two minutes later

vCash
    Australia with a header response! 2-1 Chile at the 34' mark.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner