Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He's a fantastic player, I just don't like the way he plays. It's not just the diving, he just seems like an absolute turd. The whole Dutch team plays dirty for the most part. I still remember the flying scissor-kick in the 2010 Final. Robben, de Jong, Van Bommel...that just seems to be the way they always play.
    I wouldn't out him in that category. He's a skilled guy and never been called dirty to be honest. Those two play like bulls in a china shop tho. de Jong and Van Bommel play with the philosophy of either the man or the ball will get by them, but not both. That 2010 final was dirty. They knew they were severely out skilled and had to try to beat up the Spanish. Almost worked

Banned
    vCash
    How do these Spanish and Dutch players all communicate with an Italian referee?

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Dawg View Post
    How do these Spanish and Dutch players all communicate with an Italian referee?
    I believe everyone has to communicate in English on the pitch. Official language of FIFA if I remember right.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    The way Spain play is such a double edged sword. The possession breaks down so many teams but can get them into trouble. What makes them great also makes them vulnerable

vCash
    Spanish keeper with a yellow for confronting the official a little bit too much....
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    Ahhhh this is crazy, US Open, World Cup, Omaha, NBA Champ and MLB baseball all going on today through the weekend and beyond.

Banned
    vCash
    4-1!!!! The rout is on!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    I believe everyone has to communicate in English on the pitch. Official language of FIFA if I remember right.
    English, Spanish, French, and German are the official languages. They try to assign referees that are multi lingual and speak both teams language. Like the military, you can get paid more if you speak more languages

vCash
    Wow....what an embarrassing goal to give up for the Spanish. Van Persie with possibly the easiest goal of the World Cup. 4-1 Netherlands at 72'
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Casillas looks worn out from a long season and short break after the CL final. Really out of character for him to lose focus. One of the best of all time. He doesn't have it today

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    The way Spain play is such a double edged sword. The possession breaks down so many teams but can get them into trouble. What makes them great also makes them vulnerable
    I don't think they were vulnerable when they were at their peak. But Xavi isn't quite what he used to be, and most of their guys are at the top of a downward descent. They're just not quite as good as they were; how long have these guys been playing together? Wasn't it Euro 2008 when they broke through? So 6+ years? You just can't stay in peak form that long.

What is scary for the rest of the world is that Brazil are favorites now, and they're going to be a much better team in 2018. Neymar, Oscar, Bernard, Lucas Moura...all their attacking talent is going to be in the middle of their prime, all 25-26 years old.

vCash
    One cool thing about soccer is the fans. One of the few sports where fans arguably get louder in a blowout. Turned from Dutch fans cheering for a win to Dutch fans just having a giant party. It's really cool

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    One cool thing about soccer is the fans. One of the few sports where fans arguably get louder in a blowout. Turned from Dutch fans cheering for a win to Dutch fans just having a giant party. It's really cool
    I'm curious of how many American fans came down to Brazil for the World Cup.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think they were vulnerable when they were at their peak. But Xavi isn't quite what he used to be, and most of their guys are at the top of a downward descent. They're just not quite as good as they were; how long have these guys been playing together? Wasn't it Euro 2008 when they broke through? So 6+ years? You just can't stay in peak form that long.

What is scary for the rest of the world is that Brazil are favorites now, and they're going to be a much better team in 2018. Neymar, Oscar, Bernard, Lucas Moura...all their attacking talent is going to be in the middle of their prime, all 25-26 years old.
    Brazil and Belgium will be scary in the near future. And a lot of these spaniards have been playing since and even in 2004. Surprised they didn't go for a bit more youth on the bench

vCash
    Second time the Spanish have ever given up 4 goals in a World Cup match. Last time? 1950 vs. Brazil (6-1 loss)
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    I'm curious of how many American fans came down to Brazil for the World Cup.
    I'm sure quite a bit. I think it would be the epitome of fandom to go to a WC. Its a month long Super Bowl. Man that would be so cool

vCash
    Van Persie is subbed out. 2 goals in 78'.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I don't know if any bars do this, but if I owned one in a big city, i would sell the favorite beer of each country during their games as a promo. That would be cool IMO

Banned
    vCash
    Robben is awesome

vCash
    5-1 Netherlands!!! Robben with his second!!!!! 79'. This is EMBARRASSING!!!!
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner