Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

vCash

Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

Grilled chicken with green beans and slaw to kick off the weekend. What do y'all have on tap?

vCash
    boiling 200 lbs of crawfish tomorrow. should be fun.

vCash
    Just ripping into a pot roast i put on last night with carrots, onion, garlic, shallots and potatoes.

Just poured a glass of lagavulin garneshed with a Japanese ice cube.

About to watch lone survivor and wait until tomorrow when the last of the CMA crowd FINALLY starts to leave.

vCash
    Educate me on a Japanese ice cube

vCash
    The wind has laid down on the coast so I'm high-tailing down after work. Gonna wet a line on Sunday

vCash
    I cant figure out how to post a pic.

Inbox me your cell and ill text it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Educate me on a Japanese ice cube
    I was just wondering the same thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    The wind has laid down on the coast so I'm high-tailing down after work. Gonna wet a line on Sunday
    Good luck. Water is dirty dirty in close. Didn't have time to get out to the islands today. Caught a bunch of school trout and a few decent ones this morning. It started a little windy this morning, then laid down flat calm, then got nasty after lunch.

vCash
    A couple Hopzillas, watching baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Good luck. Water is dirty dirty in close. Didn't have time to get out to the islands today. Caught a bunch of school trout and a few decent ones this morning. It started a little windy this morning, then laid down flat calm, then got nasty after lunch.
    You're right. I did my normal arriving in the p.m. routine. I waded in front of Wally World at sunset to check the conditions more than anything. Got 2 week strikes but didn't hook anything. I'm now drinking a canned miller fortune in the condo watching baseball. We'll be at the Marina at 5

vCash
    love the ice balls. the good ice ball makers are ridiculously expensive though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    love the ice balls. the good ice ball makers are ridiculously expensive though.
    I've wanted one of those Death Star molds for a bit now

vCash
    didn't know they had one. it's pretty cheap comparatively. sure it doesn't work nearly as well as the table top ones, but the ice should hold the same.

vCash
    Mine was $10 at bed bath and beyond and works perfectly

vCash
    Headed back to the metro with a cooler of fish and miller fortune cans. Haven't seen those anywhere else except the coast. I think it's even better in the can

vCash
    seared tuna with wasabi paste & peeled shrimp as appetizers ... main course = (wife) grilled yellowfin, (me) grilled halibut with bacon crusted grilled squash, grilled asparagus, garlic toast polished off with fresh strawberry shortcake .....special dinner for my wife for her very last day of teaching after 30 yrs .... #retired@age53
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    seared tuna with wasabi paste & peeled shrimp as appetizers ... main course = (wife) grilled yellowfin, (me) grilled halibut with bacon crusted grilled squash, grilled asparagus, garlic toast polished off with fresh strawberry shortcake .....special dinner for my wife for her very last day of teaching after 30 yrs .... #retired@age53
    30 years of students? wow. pass along a big congrats and thank you from the ED crew. that's commitment, and they sure as hell aren't doing it for the money.

vCash
    thanks Hack .... the best part about the whole thing is I just sent a resume to Ocean Springs ...I'm so ready to get away from Atl & go home ... home is Jones County but I'm looking to go coastal or maybe even Mobile .... been here the last 30 yrs my sentence is up !!
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    30 years of students? wow. pass along a big congrats and thank you from the ED crew. that's commitment, and they sure as hell aren't doing it for the money.
    Money's not that bad. In MS the cash value of a teacher's retirement package at 53 after 30 years of service is going to be around $450,000 if they don't get an inflation adjustment on their pension. You put two teachers together and you end up with both of them retired at 53 with $1M or more in value in their pension in a state that doesn't have a particularly generous state pension compared to other states. And that's ignoring the potential healthcare benefits that some retired teachers get. Lots of couples have jobs that people think are higher paying and realistically aren't going to be able to generate that kind of stash by age 53, even if they lived on a teachers salary the whole time.

Of course this is assuming the teachers actually get those pension payments which could be an interesting question in some states going forward, but just pointing out that teaching is a lot better compensated than people realize, and shouldn't be discouraged from going into it because of money. It's true that your cash compensation up front won't make you feel rich and you probably won't be taking european vacations on two teachers' salaries, but it's still a plenty good financially and will make you a millionaire in lots of states.