Thread: now that's a grouper

vCash

now that's a grouper

nice Warsaw -

297-pound grouper caught in Gulf of Mexico
    Published June 04, 2014FoxNews.comFacebook118 Twitter49 Gplus7
    massivegrouper.jpg
    Houston-resident Cullen Greer pulled in a 297-pound Warsaw Grouper while fishing about 30 miles off of Mississippi.Cullen Greer/KETK
    A Texas man fishing about 35 miles off the coast of Louisiana reportedly hauled in the third largest grouper ever caught on a hand crank according to Louisiana records.

KETKNBC.com reported that Cullen Greer, 28, from Houston, caught the 6-foot, 6-inch, 297-pound Warsaw Grouper using small tuna as bait, after a 30-minute fight sometime in May.

Greer, who was on an overnight fishing trip out of Louisiana with business colleagues, was fishing near an oil rig and at first thought he was snagged early Saturday morning.

"I told the captain, "I think I'm stuck," he said. "He put a couple of cranks on it and said, 'Yeah, that's a fish."

The fish gave him a strong fight, but eventually ballooned and its massive dark body floated to the surface.

"It was unbelievable," he said. "Even though we were going for grouper, we had no idea what it was."

GOBLIN SHARK CAUGHT OFF KEY WEST

The fish is considered one of the largest groupers ever caught. According to the report, a 359.1-pound grouper was caught back in 2008.

Greer's catch needs to be verified by the Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association and would reportedly be the fifth-largest ever brought back to a Louisiana port.

The Warsaw Grouper is commonly found on the Gulf's rocky floor.

Greer said the fish had more meat on it than he could ever pack onto the plane home. So he distributed some of the meat to boat hands and the boat's captain.

"I'm getting married in a few weeks and I told my fiancee that we should use some of the meat at our ceremony," he said. "That didn't go over so well."

Fox News' Edmund DeMarche contributed to this report
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Monster grouper. Can't imagine catching one that big

vCash
    I think I'd be scared if I saw that hit the top of the water.

vCash
    The guy on river monsters caught one in a canal somewhere in south Florida. I thought they stayed way offshore

vCash
    Warsaw's usually do stay way off ... Goliath can be found inshore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Warsaw's usually do stay way off ... Goliath can be found inshore
    Maybe that's what it was. Just know it was big

vCash
    Why would you keep that thing? Id assume you would throw that back?

vCash
    It was a Goliath

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    Why would you keep that thing? Id assume you would throw that back?
    Grouper is delicious and as far as I know, the big ones are still great eating

vCash
    That is a monster grouper. I would love to catch one of the giant Goliath's inshore. I watched a show where they were using fairly large stringrays as bait and just tossing them next to some pilings by hand. They were very close to shore. The line they were using looked about as thick as weedeater string.

vCash
    that grouper is offensive. this thread should be locked.***