Thread: Tried a new redfish preparation

vCash

Tried a new redfish preparation

I enjoyed the one I prepared in the weekend cooking and drinking thread so much i decided to do the same method again but change up the ingredients a bit. Starting off I sauteed some finely chopped jalapeno in olive oil and also added in a few table spoons of liquid hickory smoke. First step in making smoke jalapeno butter.

Next I slowly melted some butter over low heat so it wouldn't break. Added the sauteed jalepenos with the smoke flavor and put in the cooler to harden back up.

Next I got my redfish and foil and seasoned both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. Added a little granulated garlic, paprika, sliced yellow onion, and a squeeze of lemon. Cut the now hardened smoked jalapeno butter into a few pieces and placed on top of the filet.

Put the wrapped fish on the grill for a few minutes and got the finished product.

It was pretty good but needs a little more tweeking. It had a very smokey smell and you could catch hints of that flavor but it wasn't overpowering. The japs were perfect. Cooking them for a minute released some of the heat but left the flavor of the pepper. It had a nice smooth warmth in you mouth but not hot. The biggest thing I want to change is going heavier on the lemon. If I could have gone heavier, the first tasted to hit your mouth would have been a sweet citrus which would have made it perfect. I'll do that next time. I might even try to do it with pineapple. Also, if I wasn't just throwing this together, I'd love to puree the japs. Still a solid serving of redfish and lets me know what I need to do to make it really good.

vCash
    looks incredibly tasty ... I love anything with jalapenos, and now I know how to work them in with fish (other than fish tacos) ... nice post Beast
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Looks good. I'm going to grill some snapper on the half shell tonight and top with a crawfish sauce. I'd appreciate any of your favorite fish recipes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaterCowbell View Post
    Looks good. I'm going to grill some snapper on the half shell tonight and top with a crawfish sauce. I'd appreciate any of your favorite fish recipes.
    You literally cannot mess up anything on the half shell. Just decide if you want sweet (citrus fruit & salt & pepper), savory (garlic, onion, peppers, s&p), or spicy (jalape?os, cayenne pepper, etc..., s&p). And you can baste any of those with lemon butter as it cooks. I'd recommend it.

vCash
    Beastman, when you say you cooked it "a few minutes", how many minutes did you actually cook it? And on what temp do you cook it on? Looks incredible. I don't have a lot of experience grilling fish, but I'm looking to try some things, and yours always look great

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Beastman, when you say you cooked it "a few minutes", how many minutes did you actually cook it? And on what temp do you cook it on? Looks incredible. I don't have a lot of experience grilling fish, but I'm looking to try some things, and yours always look great
    It's actually hard to tell you exactly because the grill I cooked it on is calibrated where the top is 550 and the bottom isn't that much (commercial grill). I put it in the middle and checked it at 8 minutes and it was done. I probably could have pulled it at 6 but mine wasn't dry at all. I'm actually trying to figure this grill out for this cooking method. It's trial and error
    Last edited by BeastMan; 06-03-2014 at 10:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    It's actually hard to tell you exactly because the grill I could it on is calibrated where the top is 550 and the bottom isn't that much (commercial grill). I put it in the middle and checked it at 8 minutes and it was done. I probably could have pulled it at 6 but mine wasn't dry at all. I'm actually trying to figure this grill out for this cooking method. It's trial and error
    Gotcha. Thanks

vCash
    "Beastman, when you say you cooked it "a few minutes", how many minutes did you actually cook it? And on what temp do you cook it on? Looks incredible. I don't have a lot of experience grilling fish, but I'm looking to try some things, and yours always look great"

I don't ever think about the time on mine, but once it's white and you can flake it off with a fork, it's ready. Of course, that's easier to do when it's not wrapped in foil.

Beastman, that looks great. I need to change things up a little. I rarely add anything more than butter, lemon and onions. The jalapenos may be a nice addition.