Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strick says we've reached out to Notre Dame

Banned
    vCash
    If we played Notre Dame, we would rip their tiny ball sacks open and forcibly feed it to them..............Yeah, I been drinking, but I still think we could hold our own with the Irish.

vCash
    Georgia, Florida, nor South Carolina will schedule ND. Why would they? Those teams already have their OOC game what would they get from that game? Nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post
    Georgia, Florida, nor South Carolina will schedule ND. Why would they? Those teams already have their OOC game what would they get from that game? Nothing.
    Yep. We're one of the few SEC teams it makes some logical sense for ND to play. As you say, UGA has GT, FL has FSU, and SCar has Clemson. Don't see any of them wanting to add ND with those teams already on the schedule every season.

ND will want no part of Bama after the can of whoop ass that Bama opened on them in the NC game a couple years ago. Doubt they'll want any of Auburn or LSU, either. That leaves us, aTm, UT, Mizzou, Arkansas, Vandy, UK, and the BearSharks as viable options for ND. Of that group, I'd say the only 2 teams that might be more attractive to ND are aTm and Mizzou. If we're forced to schedule a "power conference" team every year, then we should schedule a team like ND who'd be no better than a middle of the pack SEC team. Plus, I'd love to beat the piss out of that constantly overrated but continuously fellated program.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Completely agree. He may be "one of us" and a true Dawg, but he's sucked hard as an AD. Look no further than the bullshit we keep having with Adidas. And not getting a 2-for-1 from USM. And scheduling Okie State in what was regarded as something of a mild rebuilding year. Really, he's only done the minimum that any semi-competent AD would have. He badly needed to be an AD somewhere else before taking over an SEC program.
    Didn't Byrne set up the USM series?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This may be true, but, no matter if Notre Dame would ever play us or not, you still have to contact them and make the offer. By contacting Notre Dame, we are putting ourselves in a position where we have completely plausible deniability when we end up scheduling a crappy team.

EX: Lets say in the next few years, we just happen to get very lucky and make the College Football Playoff. Instantly the media, the Big 10, Pac 12, etc will cry foul at our non-conference schedule. But, by Stricklin making it public that we have contacted Notre Dame, now we can say, "Hey, we tried to schedule better teams, but they wouldn't play us. How can you blame MSU, and take away this wonderful opportunity from our student athletes when they nor the administration had any control over what our non-conference schedule was. All we can do is ask the top teams to play us. What do you want us to do?"

Good move by Stricklin no matter how unrealistic it is. It provides an out and the ability to blame our schedule on others.

Stricklin actually showed some mild political savvy with this move.
    That and it will show the SEC that we are at least trying to do what they want us to do- and unless Notre Dame does something completely unexpected- how difficult it is for us to do a home and home with a Big 5 school.

I still think we are going to be destined to play a bunch of kickoff classics until the SEC expands or does away with that dumb rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    I really don't. I'm just kind of thinking that way about the Domers. I think they see us as a "CUSA school." I just really don't think there's anything we could do to interest them. They might do a 1 (Starkville) for 2 (South Bend) with us but not sure I'd want that.
    don't know why ... it's not like they are a perennial power house like Bama or LSU ..... so they played for the title a few years ago and have a championship back in the eighties or something like that .... we saw what happened when they played bama
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Completely agree. He may be "one of us" and a true Dawg, but he's sucked hard as an AD. Look no further than the bullshit we keep having with Adidas. And not getting a 2-for-1 from USM. And scheduling Okie State in what was regarded as something of a mild rebuilding year. Really, he's only done the minimum that any semi-competent AD would have. He badly needed to be an AD somewhere else before taking over an SEC program.
    Can you imagine how he'd look right now had Byrne not hired Mullen & Cohen???? Those two hires have allowed him to grow/learn on the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo352 View Post
    Can you imagine how he'd look right now had Byrne not hired Mullen & Cohen???? Those two hires have allowed him to grow/learn on the job.
    as Mullen has had to do
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    With your apparent lack of wit, you'd probably have trouble getting a date with a Jennifer Aniston transvestie look-alike.

I guess Oregon would never schedule a home & away with us, either. Oh wait, they did.

And we'd never get a powerhouse program like Miami in the 80's. Oh wait, we did.

What's with you guys who seem to think so little of our value that we couldn't, as an SEC team on-the-rise, with a potential Heismann candidate leading us into a season with the potential to compete for the SEC, look at all attractive to a program that is actively and publicly seeking an SEC opponent, presumably one they probably feel they stand a good chance of beating, but not being of Vandy or UK quality?

As others have pointed out, they came to Mississippi in '77 to play Ole Miss, 6 years after Ole Miss' previous appearance in a poll. A time ND was consistently at or near the top of the polls.

While they may decide not to engage us, don't give me this sad sack shit about us not being worthy or attractive enough.
    Our program is better than our own fans give it credit for being. Notre Dame would be honored to compete against one of the oldest programs in college football. It remains to be seen whether they take advantage of the opportunity. I've always wanted to play them, so I hope they do accept the challenge from us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    don't know why ... it's not like they are a perennial power house like Bama or LSU ..... so they played for the title a few years ago and have a championship back in the eighties or something like that .... we saw what happened when they played bama
    Yes, you and I know that, but ND alumni don't. As long as they get to have their cake and eat it too... as long as they get be independent yet not in other sports, mucking up and holding the whole expansion issue for the other Big Fivers... as long as they have their NBC deal... they are going to want big opponents and want them in South Bend. Road trips for big opponents only. Although...they play some "not big opponents" on the road but many of those are old rivals and a few are areas they want to recruit. They are not trying to recruit Mississippi. They will not come here. They need to guarantee 7 home games for revenue (AD and/or president has stated this). I want this, but it's not happening.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    I find it interesting that the majority of the talk about who they want to play is mostly teams from the SEC East. I know recruiting is a big part of it but wouldn't they be better off credibility wise to take on a team in the toughest division in D1? Whether they will take us on or not at leat its out there. And I'm guessing we were the first ones to accept their challenge? it's not like DWS is a 15,000 seat venue either. It would be a prime time game if for no other reason than its ND vs SEC which gives not schools their much desires PR points

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Didn't Byrne set up the USM series?
    Yes. But for some insane reason I will never understand, some of our fans just assume Byrne was a god and Stricklin is a bumpkin with an IQ of 80.

And what BS with Adidas? The fact that we are their flagship baseball school, or the fact that he's renegotiated the deal with them to give us a much more advantageous relationship?

Or just the fact that some of our fans don't like our style of jersey sometimes?

In the grand scheme of things, our style of jersey is probably Priority # 3,451 of an AD.
    Last edited by smootness; 05-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yes. But for some insane reason I will never understand, some of our fans just assume Byrne was a god and Stricklin is a bumpkin with an IQ of 80.

And what BS with Adidas? The fact that we are their flagship baseball school, or the fact that he's renegotiated the deal with them to give us a much more advantageous relationship?

Or just the fact that some of our fans don't like our style of jersey sometimes?

In the grand scheme of things, our style of jersey is probably Priority # 3,451 of an AD.
    I agree. Yes. Adidas has put out some crappy looking jerseys, but that's an "art-direction" thing that could swing around 180 degrees. I like the fact that they consider us one of their, if not their, "Oregon". If true, that means they're looking to sink a ton of their focus & money on us in order to compete with Nike. Their willingness to invest in us is far more important than whether or not their art department is sucking wind. Changes in the art department can be easy. Replacing the kind of benefit we get from having one of the world's biggest brands of sporting goods investing in us is damn near impossible.

vCash
    I agree. Yes. Adidas has put out some crappy looking jerseys, but that's an "art-direction" thing that could swing around 180 degrees. I like the fact that they consider us one of their, if not their, "Oregon". If true, that means they're looking to sink a ton of their focus & money on us in order to compete with Nike. Their willingness to invest in us is far more important than whether or not their art department is sucking wind. Changes in the art department can be easy. Replacing the kind of benefit we get from having one of the world's biggest brands of sporting goods investing in us is damn near impossible.
    I HATE crappy unis, but you make a good point. I'm fine with Addidas I guess, I just want better designs. If we're gonna be "their boy" I want the best not crap that looks like we're their lab rat.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    This would be the baddest ass thing ever. And you don't know till you ask. If you don't think my ass will be in south bend you're crazy. The Texas series was incredible, this tops even that. First game of the year, last game of the year, or anywhere in between.... 1 for 1, 2 for 1, whatever, book it.

vCash
    With your apparent lack of wit, you'd probably have trouble getting a date with a Jennifer Aniston transvestie look-alike.

I guess Oregon would never schedule a home & away with us, either. Oh wait, they did.

And we'd never get a powerhouse program like Miami in the 80's. Oh wait, we did.

What's with you guys who seem to think so little of our value that we couldn't, as an SEC team on-the-rise, with a potential Heismann candidate leading us into a season with the potential to compete for the SEC, look at all attractive to a program that is actively and publicly seeking an SEC opponent, presumably one they probably feel they stand a good chance of beating, but not being of Vandy or UK quality?

As others have pointed out, they came to Mississippi in '77 to play Ole Miss, 6 years after Ole Miss' previous appearance in a poll. A time ND was consistently at or near the top of the polls.

While they may decide not to engage us, don't give me this sad sack shit about us not being worthy or attractive enough.
    Wonder how ND would feel about scheduling us now?

Banned
    vCash
    Wonder how ND would feel about scheduling us now?
    You just bumped your own thread from May. Haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    I HATE crappy unis, but you make a good point. I'm fine with Addidas I guess, I just want better designs. If we're gonna be "their boy" I want the best not crap that looks like we're their lab rat.
    How will you feel when we win a National title in the Adidas 100 year unis? I personally like those as well as any of the Nike unis. Also MState on the helmet will be linked to us. Too much brand recognition to ever bring back MSJ Nike logo.

vCash
    I'd rather we schedule a scrub from a P5 than a team with a known ability to be a contender from time to time. Let's don't Rich Rod/WV this up.

(Although when we signed the WV deal, there was no indication WV would be a nationally good team when gametime came up.)

vCash
    shouldn't Notre Dame be reaching out to us?