Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strick says we've reached out to Notre Dame

vCash

Strick says we've reached out to Notre Dame

Wanted to make sure this didn't get lost in the other thread. We've contacted them about scheduling them in football. Haven't heard back yet.

I'm really impressed with Scott, and am glad we've got one of our own at the helm. Whatever you think of any specific moves, he is true maroon through & through!

vCash
    Let's just hope notre dames response isn't: " Are you the school that had the noose hung around that statue?"

vCash
    I think they want to play UGA to open up GA recruiting.

vCash
    That game will never happen IMO.

Shotgun made a great point in the other thread.

ND would get little value in a win over MSU...

My guess would be a beatable UGA or Florida interests them most.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    I think they want to play UGA to open up GA recruiting.
    That appears to be their first choice, but they did say they wanted "an SEC team". If Georgia doesn't want it, then they're gonna have to look at other fertile recruiting grounds in the SEC. Not sure Les wants to do it, given he's already mad about having UF as his permanent. Bama has already kicked that ass badly, so not sure ND is ready to go there again yet. Sure, there are other options, like Florida, but Florida is already flooded with recruiters.

Hell, if Kelly's really interested in having an SEC opponent, and wants one fairly regularly, why not rotate a few in over the years. They'd probably look at us as a more "manageable" win, yet still get exposure in the South for playing an SEC team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    That game will never happen IMO.

Shotgun made a great point in the other thread.

ND would get little value in a win over MSU...

My guess would be a beatable UGA or Florida interests them most.
    If that's the case then our response should be, "you scared, bro? We're right here. Come get some unless you're scared. Change you're tampon and come on down."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    If that's the case then our response should be, "you scared, bro? We're right here. Come get some unless you're scared. Change you're tampon and come on down."

Exactly! Treat it like Notre Dame threw down the gauntlet, then started back-tracking when we picked it up. PR win.

vCash
    Hopefully he doesn't schedule them for our first game***

I'm sure he's a good guy and a true bulldog, but I have not been impressed with him at all.
    Last edited by jimbo352; 05-22-2014 at 06:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    Exactly! Treat it like Notre Dame threw down the gauntlet, then started back-tracking when we picked it up. PR win.
    Yeah!!! Anyone. Anytime. Anywhere. ****
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Let's just hope notre dames response isn't: " Are you the school that had the noose hung around that statue?"
    To which, we would reply, "We forgave you for having sex with young boys..."

vCash

vCash
    I contacted Jennifer Aniston about a date but haven`t heard back yet. If you`re impressed with Stricklin wasting his time "reaching out" to a team that wouldn`t schedule us in 1 million years then you`re pretty easily impressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I contacted Jennifer Aniston about a date but haven`t heard back yet. If you`re impressed with Stricklin wasting his time "reaching out" to a team that wouldn`t schedule us in 1 million years then you`re pretty easily impressed.
    Not when we win the NC this year*****

vCash

This may be true, but, no matter if Notre Dame would ever play us or not, you still have to contact them and make the offer. By contacting Notre Dame, we are putting ourselves in a position where we have completely plausible deniability when we end up scheduling a crappy team.

EX: Lets say in the next few years, we just happen to get very lucky and make the College Football Playoff. Instantly the media, the Big 10, Pac 12, etc will cry foul at our non-conference schedule. But, by Stricklin making it public that we have contacted Notre Dame, now we can say, "Hey, we tried to schedule better teams, but they wouldn't play us. How can you blame MSU, and take away this wonderful opportunity from our student athletes when they nor the administration had any control over what our non-conference schedule was. All we can do is ask the top teams to play us. What do you want us to do?"

Good move by Stricklin no matter how unrealistic it is. It provides an out and the ability to blame our schedule on others.

Stricklin actually showed some mild political savvy with this move.

vCash
    With your apparent lack of wit, you'd probably have trouble getting a date with a Jennifer Aniston transvestie look-alike.

I guess Oregon would never schedule a home & away with us, either. Oh wait, they did.

And we'd never get a powerhouse program like Miami in the 80's. Oh wait, we did.

What's with you guys who seem to think so little of our value that we couldn't, as an SEC team on-the-rise, with a potential Heismann candidate leading us into a season with the potential to compete for the SEC, look at all attractive to a program that is actively and publicly seeking an SEC opponent, presumably one they probably feel they stand a good chance of beating, but not being of Vandy or UK quality?

As others have pointed out, they came to Mississippi in '77 to play Ole Miss, 6 years after Ole Miss' previous appearance in a poll. A time ND was consistently at or near the top of the polls.

While they may decide not to engage us, don't give me this sad sack shit about us not being worthy or attractive enough.

vCash
    With your apparent lack of wit, you'd probably have trouble getting a date with a Jennifer Aniston transvestie look-alike.

I guess Oregon would never schedule a home & away with us, either. Oh wait, they did.

And we'd never get a powerhouse program like Miami in the 80's. Oh wait, we did.

What's with you guys who seem to think so little of our value that we couldn't, as an SEC team on-the-rise, with a potential Heismann candidate leading us into a season with the potential to compete for the SEC, look at all attractive to a program that is actively and publicly seeking an SEC opponent, presumably one they probably feel they stand a good chance of beating, but not being of Vandy or UK quality?

As others have pointed out, they came to Mississippi in '77 to play Ole Miss, 6 years after Ole Miss' previous appearance in a poll. A time ND was consistently at or near the top of the polls.

While they may decide not to engage us, don't give me this sad sack shit about us not being worthy or attractive enough.

That series was played 1980-1983. Between 1970 and 1979, THE U won 42 and lost 67 with their best season being a 6-5 campaign. "National Powerhouse" Miami did not schedule a 4 game home and home with us. Mediocre at best independent Miami did.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo352 View Post
    Hopefully he doesn't schedule them for our first game***

I'm sure he's a good guy and a true bulldog, but I have not been impressed with him at all.
    Completely agree. He may be "one of us" and a true Dawg, but he's sucked hard as an AD. Look no further than the bullshit we keep having with Adidas. And not getting a 2-for-1 from USM. And scheduling Okie State in what was regarded as something of a mild rebuilding year. Really, he's only done the minimum that any semi-competent AD would have. He badly needed to be an AD somewhere else before taking over an SEC program.
    Last edited by War Machine Dawg; 05-22-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I wish this could happen. I just think from ND's point of view there's nothing to be gained from playing us. Georgia or TAMU or Tennessee or even SC would play them in a heartbeat. SC or Georgia would be "all excited" and sold out to play them just like we would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    That series was played 1980-1983. Between 1970 and 1979, THE U won 42 and lost 67 with their best season being a 6-5 campaign. "National Powerhouse" Miami did not schedule a 4 game home and home with us. Mediocre at best independent Miami did.

noticed you didn't say anything about oregon. I also didn't mention a few other teams we scheduled that were damn good at the time, though not historically great like ND.

Guys, we are not a CUSA team. Stop thinking like we are.

vCash
    noticed you didn't say anything about oregon. I also didn't mention a few other teams we scheduled that were damn good at the time, though not historically great like ND.

Guys, we are not a CUSA team. Stop thinking like we are.
    I really don't. I'm just kind of thinking that way about the Domers. I think they see us as a "CUSA school." I just really don't think there's anything we could do to interest them. They might do a 1 (Starkville) for 2 (South Bend) with us but not sure I'd want that.