Thread: What are some reasons you hunt/fish/gather?

vCash

What are some reasons you hunt/fish/gather?

Fishing is my favorite getaway/stress reliever but one of my favorite things is stocking my freezer and then having a fish fry for friends and family. I love having get-togethers where everyone can enjoy the fruits of my fishing. There is something inside me that makes me enjoy gathering food by natural means and not just going to the meat isle at the grocery story.

vCash
    crawfish boils are my baby. love doing them.

I like white water rafting. adrenaline rush is killer. as an ex-halfway-decent athlete that doesn't do drugs, it's hard to find a good adrenaline rush anymore.

vCash
    Getting out hunting early in the morning and hearing the woods wake up is one of the most enjoyable things out there for me. It is a nice way to clear your head and get some fresh air. I love eating the animals I hunt so that is an added bonus. I try and hunt with my dad, grandpa, brother, or sister as much as possible and when hunting with any of them it is a great time whether we get anything or not.

vCash
    The closest thing to Heaven on earth is: daylight, on the lake by yourself, topwater, 5lb+ bass smashing the lure... thank you Lord!

vCash
    Not sure where to even start on this...

There's nothing quite like the smell of a harbor in the morning, the sound of outboards firing up in the dark, seagulls squawking as they crash on bait, the feeling of a trout smoking a jig & then hearing him flop, at a speed you wouldn't believe possible, in the bottom of the boat or seeing the sun come up over the water. My fishing memories are covered by all the senses. Also, the complete silence of paddling in the marsh and feeling all alone is great.

I also probably do more deep thinking in a deer stand than any other place on earth. Hearing and watching the woods come alive in the morning is great.

As mentioned by others, I really love to eat fish & game that I caught or killed myself. I really enjoy preparing it for others that don't usually get to eat it.

vCash
    I'm more into the camping scene than shooting stuff scene. I've not killed does before because I didn't feel like cleaning them or dealing with them. I used to be a pretty decent inland fisherman but I haven't been hardly at all since college and am not nearly as good as I used to be based on my last 0-fer trip.

I love having an isolated camp ground 10 miles into the back country with only a handful of people within earshot of where you're sitting looking up at a clear night sky with a pull of single malt from a flask. that and a decent fire is about is good as it gets to me.

vCash
    because I'm just good at it
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

Banned
    vCash
    Mostly all about the food to me, that's the only reason I do any of it. I don't necessarily consider any of it fun. If on the water, I'd rather be drinking beer and floating. I'd rather be playing golf. Deer hunting in the winter is OK, it's fairly relaxing. But I only kill them for the meat. I go fishing for the meat, I plant my garden for the vegetables.

vCash
    I love everything outdoors and I try to pass it all on to my son. I want him to be able to provide in the most primitive ways if that situation ever occurs where we have to. Mostly I love what some of the others have stated. Looking up at the sky littered with stars and seeing a few falling stars, I love that. I could light a fire in my pasture and drink beer every damn night if my wife would let me! Sitting in a tree stand and watching and listening to the woods come alive like WeWillScrewItUp posted.......nothing like it! Throwing a cast net in the surf and catching bait for fishing. Wading in the low tide with a light and flounder gig. Setting jugs on the Rez and loading an ice chest with catfish. I just LOVE the outdoors!!!!!

vCash
    It's fishing for me. I like being on the water. Bass fishing I love the competition. Crappie like having the fish fry and sitting around.

vCash
    Amen DownwardDawg