Thread: College officiating...

vCash

College officiating...

Curious as to some thoughts as to why there is such a major drop off from MLB to college, especially SEC, umpiring? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall noticing as big a difference in football and basketball as there is in baseball. Granted I am more of a baseball guy so I notice the differences more readily. Some football guys may think college refs suck in that sport too?

Is it that in baseball all the good umps are in the minors of pro ball? College umps are just the old coots that couldn't cut it calling the pro game? I'm not sure the case. It it is embarrassing how consistently bad college umps are. One would think that with more and more televised games there would have to be some type of accountability for how shitty they are.

vCash
    Well, we all including me shouldn't expect the college guys to be as good as the pros. Still pisses me off when they do something ridiculous.

I think baseball is policed a little less than the others because it's not as big of a sport as far as the NCAA goes.

One rule I really don't like is the one where if a manager argues with an umpire in college, the school gets fined heavily and the coach is automatically suspended for the next game. I might be off on the semantics of that rule- but my point is they've given the umpires way too much power in college. They need to do away with that rule.

Like yesterday, Tony Walsh blows that call and now he's going to call anything in the zip code a strike on Detz and Vickerson because he can the rest of the game. It's ridiculous. I guarantee you that if we were in the Big Leagues and Tony Walsh made that call, it would have been on MLB Network and they would have blasted him.

I'm not sure if the college umpires can cut it at the college level to be honest with you. If we had replay in the college game, we hang 12 on Ole Miss Tuesday.

vCash
    Sitting in CF, on the fence, we have about as good a view of pitches as you can have. And I have to say, Walsh was a total buffoon yesterday. It was as poor a job of plate umpiring as I've seen in a while. That was a big topic of discussion on our trailer. Terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Sitting in CF, on the fence, we have about as good a view of pitches as you can have. And I have to say, Walsh was a total buffoon yesterday. It was as poor a job of plate umpiring as I've seen in a while. That was a big topic of discussion on our trailer. Terrible.
    I'm not trying to imply we lost due to umpiring, but when you're already a bad hitting club, not knowing where the strike zone is only magnifies it even more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgSaint View Post
    I'm not trying to imply we lost due to umpiring, but when you're already a bad hitting club, not knowing where the strike zone is only magnifies it even more.
    Yes, and we have all reiterated time and again how we have no margin for error with this team with regard to pitching & defense. Well, you can add a third dimension to that requirement. Umpiring. If they are off their game it puts us in a bigger hole than we are usually in.

vCash
    I'd say there is a huge drop in officiating the NFL compared to SEC Football.

And I think a lot of the shit you see in baseball officiating are pissing contests and ego flexing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well, we all including me shouldn't expect the college guys to be as good as the pros. Still pisses me off when they do something ridiculous.

I think baseball is policed a little less than the others because it's not as big of a sport as far as the NCAA goes.

One rule I really don't like is the one where if a manager argues with an umpire in college, the school gets fined heavily and the coach is automatically suspended for the next game. I might be off on the semantics of that rule- but my point is they've given the umpires way too much power in college. They need to do away with that rule.

Like yesterday, Tony Walsh blows that call and now he's going to call anything in the zip code a strike on Detz and Vickerson because he can the rest of the game. It's ridiculous. I guarantee you that if we were in the Big Leagues and Tony Walsh made that call, it would have been on MLB Network and they would have blasted him.

I'm not sure if the college umpires can cut it at the college level to be honest with you. If we had replay in the college game, we hang 12 on Ole Miss Tuesday.
    Tony Walsh did a shit job at the plate yesterday. The A&M catcher was literally setting up in the right batters box and the idiot called those strikes even though they were in the right batters box. He had to have been one of the worst inconsistent umps I have seen this year.

vCash
    Its because of how much people care and TV.

When Alabama and Auburn are threatening to burn each other's campuses down, and all the games are on TV, the SEC is forced to be better football. In baseball, where many people don't care and where most of the games aren't on TV, the pressure isn't on the umpires to perform at the same level.

That being said, in the Egg Bowl, MSU has two turnovers that weren't called and not reviewed. SEC football officiating is brutal as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Its because of how much people care and TV.

When Alabama and Auburn are threatening to burn each other's campuses down, and all the games are on TV, the SEC is forced to be better football. In baseball, where many people don't care and where most of the games aren't on TV, the pressure isn't on the umpires to perform at the same level.

That being said, in the Egg Bowl, MSU has two turnovers that weren't called and not reviewed. SEC football officiating is brutal as well.
    Dead on. "Caring" is a motivator, for sure.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Dead on. "Caring" is a motivator, for sure.
    I see what you did here.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Easy nfl selects from the college ranks and nba the same. In mlb you work your way up from ump school to rookie league to a aa aaa and then the bigs. College baseball umps have no steps after that