Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Football screw jobs against MSU

vCash

Biggest Football screw jobs against MSU

Here are my picks:
    1- Dick Pace : Even UM coach Steve Sloan knew that it was a terrible call. He laughed and said sarcastically, "Great call."

2- BYU in Starkville: Their refs called the game and they were trying to keep BYU alive for the National Championship game. Really awful. I was glad that BYU lost their next game to get knocked out of the title game

3- SEC Championship game 1998 : the sister of an SEC ref wrote the CL and said it was horrible.

4- Upig in Little Rock 1999: Jack Cristil said, "The officials are a disgrace to the SEC."

5- 2013 vs UM: it was 11 versus 18 and we won.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Delete
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I was at the Dick Pace game. Easily the worst screw job ever.

Another that sticks out to me is versus Houston on 2009. Used their refs, who allowed them to hold blatantly all day long, and only called a couple of meaningless penalties against UH in the last minute or two, as I recall. They attempted 52 passes and didn't get called for holding once. They also got away with defensive pass-interference, one that resulted in an INT for them. But the worst call was the one on us for passing beyond the LOS. It wasn't remotely close to being over. I am still pissed at Mullen for not challenging that call, as it would have set us up with a first down inside their 10, I believe. Instead, we gave the ball back on downs, as I recall.

vCash
    Egg Bowl 2013 was worst in the past few years unless you count us playing kentucky in basketball.

How we got almost every bad call, while at home, while trying to get bowl eligible.....well, those refs must not be fans of scientology.

vCash
    What about Baton Rogue 2001?

vCash
    How did 1999 @ Bama not make this list? The phantom hold on Pig Prather's punt return should easily make the list on its own merit, much less all the other bullshit calls whenever you're playing in T-Town on top of it. Hell, I can STILL hear the Bama fans laughing about that "hod."
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I'll just leave this here.....

vCash
    Yeah the no call on John Wall's goal tending in game 1 was shit-tastic, then, he gets a no call lane violation in game 2. Complete shit show.

vCash
    Number 1 is Dick Pace. It was flat out cheating. That's the bottom line.

Number 2 was BYU. They were trying to get BYU into the BCS for the millions of dollars it would have brought in. It was obvious- nobody misses holding calls like that night. If the game had been called properly, we would have won by 2 TD's
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I remember a game in Death Valley where they gave the Tigers 5 downs. Also a game down there where they took a down away from US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Yeah the no call on John Wall's goal tending in game 1 was shit-tastic, then, he gets a no call lane violation in game 2. Complete shit show.
    Complete screw job. My post was football related. We could have another thread on hoops.

In baseball, the home Florida series when the got mad at our catcher's signal to Polk when the call was bad. The ump told our catcher he was going to call balls no matter the pitch and we walked a few in route to a Florida comeback win. Yeah, the ump was suspended by the SEC, but it remained a loss.

Everyone get bad calls, even Bama suffered thru Upig getting a 5th down in Tuscaloosa, but we get way more than our share.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    My Dad always told me about some game in BR against LSU in 60s or 70s where we had a the ball driving for game winning score. Our receiver caught a pass, took 2 or 3 steps and then went out of bounds. They called it incomplete!

I was at the BooYoo game in 2001. It sucked.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Mother Nature blowing a field goal back has to fit in here somewhere.

vCash
    Tim Nelson hanging on to Tee Martin's ankle for dear life, Martin looking to pass the ball, tackled by Kevin Sluder, 15 yard roughing the passer. That was one of the biggest single screw jobs I've ever seen.

Geezer
    vCash
    Yep, and good ole Mike Stuart called both games and guess who called the Ky vs Wisconsin final Four game. Mike Stuart. Makes you wonder sometimes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastdoglover View Post
    Yep, and good ole Mike Stuart called both games and guess who called the Ky vs Wisconsin final Four game. Mike Stuart. Makes you wonder sometimes.
    "Mike Stuart and Rick Stansbury are jaw to jaw" One of my favorite TV quotes from that season. Mike tried to **** us on that play too. He has never been a friend to MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    I was at the Dick Pace game. Easily the worst screw job ever.

Another that sticks out to me is versus Houston on 2009. Used their refs, who allowed them to hold blatantly all day long, and only called a couple of meaningless penalties against UH in the last minute or two, as I recall. They attempted 52 passes and didn't get called for holding once. They also got away with defensive pass-interference, one that resulted in an INT for them. But the worst call was the one on us for passing beyond the LOS. It wasn't remotely close to being over. I am still pissed at Mullen for not challenging that call, as it would have set us up with a first down inside their 10, I believe. Instead, we gave the ball back on downs, as I recall.
    Tyson Lee was 2-1/2 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he threw that pass. That was a huge WTF moment in MSU sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Tyson Lee was 2-1/2 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he threw that pass. That was a huge WTF moment in MSU sports.
    What made that call bad, was it was compounded by all the other shitty calls we were on the wrong side of; i.e., Bump's TD return against Bama called back; Brandon McRae stripping the ball after Tyson's INT against Florida non-call, which would have given us a touch back.

Are there any more during that stretch I'm forgetting?

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    What made that call bad, was it was compounded by all the other shitty calls we were on the wrong side of; i.e., Bump's TD return against Bama called back; Brandon McRae stripping the ball after Tyson's INT against Florida non-call, which would have given us a touch back.

Are there any more during that stretch I'm forgetting?
    Touchdown against LSU in 2009 that would have won the game and put us in a bowl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slickdawg View Post
    Tim Nelson hanging on to Tee Martin's ankle for dear life, Martin looking to pass the ball, tackled by Kevin Sluder, 15 yard roughing the passer. That was one of the biggest single screw jobs I've ever seen.
    I think it was third and long too. I knew it was over after that. Saw an article once that said UT winning that game was worth seventy million to the conference.