Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biggest Football screw jobs against MSU

vCash
    Everything mentioned here are definitely legitimate gripes. However, M.Fillmore's #1 & #2 are easily the biggest overall screw jobs. Without question. I saw both first hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    How did 1999 @ Bama not make this list? The phantom hold on Pig Prather's punt return should easily make the list on its own merit, much less all the other bullshit calls whenever you're playing in T-Town on top of it. Hell, I can STILL hear the Bama fans laughing about that "hod."
    Was at the game Dawg. Could not agree with you more. Great call.

vCash
    1. Dick Pace - my first Egg Bowl - that walk across the parking lot afterwords taught me to despise TSUN.
    2. Auburn - Cam Newton and the complicit press that allowed them to indite MSU by association. The above posted 'First Down'. The smug 'things are back to normal' after last year. Their imprisonment of an American Bald Eagle for circus tricks. A noble university would have set it free. Cam Newton, Cam Newton, Cam Newton. Listening to our coaches headsets. Bobby ****ing Lowder. Pat Dye. They are the single most corrupt program in the conference.
    3. SEC Championship Game
    4. Dick Pace a thousand times DIck Pace - the image of John Fourcade in the end zone AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    5. The damn wind at the Egg Bowl....that was one of those drunk moments where you are instantly sober and hungover. Thankfully I have since retired my liver from that level of abuse.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    I think it was third and long too. I knew it was over after that. Saw an article once that said UT winning that game was worth seventy million to the conference.
    Mike Slive gets a million dollar bonus if a SEC team wins the national championship, that should put some of the screw jobs in perspective.

vCash
    The reason I think the biggest is the Houston game is think of the ramifications of what that loss did. It cost us a bowl game. We win that game if the correct call is made. We get to 6 wins, get to a bowl game to get a potential 7th, and in Mullen's first year we possibly go 7-5 instead of 5-7. I think that would have drastically altered the national perception of our program and could have been huge for us on the recruiting trail. Would also be 5 bowls in a row.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 04-08-2014 at 07:17 PM.

vCash
    By officials, BYU.
    BYU RT pulls our DE to the ground by his arm. Ref looks at them and looks away.

Within a few minutes MSU throws a completion on 3rd down with no holding. Flag comes out, holding MSU.

I don't normally get annoyed at FB refs, it's a tough job. Those guys should never have called another NCAA contest.

By Satan:
    Wind blowing FG back against OM. I was there and still can't believe it.

In basketball, the last 15 minutes of the home game against UK in 2010 was as bad as I can remember.

Banned
    vCash
    Last season's EB was freaking awful. They took one int and one fumble away from us.

The 2009 Houston game is probably the worst, though. That was inexcusable.

Auburn 2011 gets honorable mention. I still think Vick broke the plane before they stopped us at the goal line a couple of plays later. Not to mention that first down an inch behind the sticks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    The reason I think the biggest is the Houston game is think of the ramifications of what that loss did. It cost us a bowl game. We win that game if the correct call is made. We get to 6 wins, get to a bowl game to get a potential 7th, and in Mullen's first year we possibly go 7-5 instead of 5-7. I think that would have drastically altered the national perception of our program and could have been huge for us on the recruiting trail. Would also be 5 bowls in a row.
    Should've/could've thrown the red flag on top of the yellow one.

vCash
    He asked the line judge how close it was, and he said "it wasn't close coach". So in a close game, Dan was probably saving the flag for later. I don't know what the dudes in the box were looking at, or if they even told Dan to challenge or not.

vCash
    In the 1992 Bama game, we were leading in the 4th quarter when we sacked Barker and he fumbled around midfield. Official runs in seconds later and calls incomplete after we had recovered. They punted and we fumble the punt. Completely changed the game and they go on to win the national championship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Yeah the no call on John Wall's goal tending in game 1 was shit-tastic, then, he gets a no call lane violation in game 2. Complete shit show.
    Under Ron Greene, Peck dunks on an inbounds play to seal the win at Rupp. The Refs wave it off call a foul on Peck and we lose by a point. Ky wins the SEC and we come in second place. They are the only team to make it to the Dance ( only one team per conf). We don't even go to the NIT and Greene gets pissed at Tyler and leaves.

vCash
    Not the worst, but the Egg Bowl last year was awful. If we lose that game, people probably consider it the worst. Not only did they miss two turnovers, they had instant replay that they didn't use. That's what I don't understand.

vCash
    There was a game when I was at State and I remember a specific bad call, one called by a ref I knew to have children at the time currently attending MSU... In a year where MSU was fighting Arkansas, the ref's alma mater, for a favorable bowl...

It's impossible to find a referee without a bias in the south. I don't care how levelheaded or honest the ref is, he's biased towards certain schools. To boot, we have a commissioner who has not only a personal incentive to see the favorites win... The multi-billionar dollar corporation he runs needs the favorites to win to keep those multi-billion dollar contacts coming in every 15 years.

ETA: The fact that the SEC doesn't have full-time referees and other leagues do tells you everything you need to know.
    Last edited by esplanade91; 04-08-2014 at 11:48 PM.

vCash
    I've always said there are only 3 MSU sporting events that I KNOW cheating occurred.

The BYU game, the Bama game in 1999, and then the year we got Tubby a T and beat kentucky (can't remember the year). We cheated the shit out of Kentucky that game. Lol

Also Gibson didn't cross the goal vs LSU in 1999. I don't think we cheated there, the refs just blew that one. Thank God they didn't have instant replay back then.

vCash
    I've never seen video evidence that Gibson was down before the goal line. Most seem to think he was though. However, LSU player clearly dropped the ball early before entering the endzone in 2000 overtime game. Their streak should be one less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Also Gibson didn't cross the goal vs LSU in 1999. I don't think we cheated there, the refs just blew that one. Thank God they didn't have instant replay back then.
    Almost every film angle was inconclusive, but there was one angle that sure looks like Gibson scored. I saved in on an old VHS tape I have buried in a closet.

I have been on many a high school and college sideline. I can tell you that when a 6' running back runs into a mob of 6'4" linemen at the goal line it is very difficult to tell if the runner scored from the goal line near the sideline.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade91 View Post

ETA: The fact that the SEC doesn't have full-time referees and other leagues do tells you everything you need to know.
    There are some full-time college basketball refs but they work three or more conferences and they work 5 or more hoop games per week during the hoops season. There are no full time college football refs unless they have some other source of income. The refs at the BCS title game were paid $2,100 each. Assume that as a high pay level and multiply by 13 games and you get $27,300.

Most NFL refs work another job and they are the highest paid football refs. I read an interview with an NFL ref and he said he also has a pension from another job. I know a guy who is an NFL ref and his starting pay (it was before the most recent labor contract) was $85,000. The longer they ref in the NFL the more money they get.

I talked to a Juco ref who told me that after he backed out the costs of his registrations, equipment and camps and if he counted his travel time and pre-game and post-game time, he averages $5 an hour. We hammer the high school and juco refs but a whole lot of them are simply out there for the love of the game.
    Note: I talking high school and juco in this paragraph, not D-1 college.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    The Houston one was pretty bad. Not only was he clearly at least a yard and a half to two yards BEHIND the line of scrimmage but the rule doesn't even require you be fully behind it. In actuality, it is not an illegal forward pass until both the player and the ball are FULLY accross. If during the throwing motion the ball begins behind the line of scrimmage it doesn't matter where the rest of the player's body is. Likewise, for instance, if his plant foot is still behind the line of scrimmage, nothing else really matters either. So, they missed that one by like THREE yards!!!! I always said the replay guy must've been off taking a peepee or was getting a bj at the time.
    Last edited by BulldogBear; 04-09-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: replay not reply
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    1. Dick Pace - my first Egg Bowl - that walk across the parking lot afterwords taught me to despise TSUN.
    2. Auburn - Cam Newton and the complicit press that allowed them to indite MSU by association. The above posted 'First Down'. The smug 'things are back to normal' after last year. Their imprisonment of an American Bald Eagle for circus tricks. A noble university would have set it free. Cam Newton, Cam Newton, Cam Newton. Listening to our coaches headsets. Bobby ****ing Lowder. Pat Dye. They are the single most corrupt program in the conference.
    3. SEC Championship Game
    4. Dick Pace a thousand times DIck Pace - the image of John Fourcade in the end zone AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    5. The damn wind at the Egg Bowl....that was one of those drunk moments where you are instantly sober and hungover. Thankfully I have since retired my liver from that level of abuse.
    I agree on the wind but at least that was bad luck and not a bad call. I was there for the Dick Pace fiasco too. He kept on making bad calls. That has to be the worst I have ever seen.