Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A game we never win, we will win in the fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    True Pollo. Another reason I think we'll be able to score on them. I also think we'll have a good chance at confusing Met. This is his fourth OC while on college and the guy's bringing an NFL system in. I think they're going to have lots of problems early and then the fans will take over and Met will be boo'd out of BR before having a real chance to shine.
    Good points. You and Pollo are right on the money because you are talking about our defense. Our defense is what has to step up against the big boys in my opinion. If we want to beat LSU, we have got to shorten the game by having some semblance of a running game, but that can't happen unless our defense keeps us in it. If you get in a shootout with LSU, you lose...because they have the best athletes in the country on their defense regardless of age, and you will turn the ball over.

My optimism comes from Collins at DC. I truly don't think we will see any major changes in offensive production this year though. It will look a little different, but the production will be roughly the same. BUT, if our defense is not ****ing worthless like it was last year, then we won't need much more offensive production to have a great year.

I think you are spot on about confusing Mettenberger. I think Collins will come out and blitz his ass to death. Mettenberger showed last year that he panics when he's pressured (so Chris Wilson brought none).

vCash
    It is optimistic overload over hear. Let's take this one step at a time.

1st.) As far as Arky suffering this yr. Count me in as a buyer in this stock for a couple of reasons. The first (as you mentioned) is the loss of key contributors on offense in personnel. But one of the BIGGEST reasons they will suffer is the adaptation of the new scheme. Coach B is a West Coast style coach. He LOVES to ground & pound you with a physical running attack and dink & dunk with the short yardage underneath stuff as you ( a DC) try to compensate for the running game. The biggest hurdle with West Coast philosophies is the verbiage. And the QBs ability to see which front he is facing. Then moving the attention to the 2nd level of the defense to see what the OLB & S is showing you. That takes time to develop. And who knows, the young man MIGHT be able to do so quickly & comfortably without much of a transitional period. But odds are not in his favor to do so. Plus in order for this to work the run game MUST be a dangerous threat to move the chains Vs a defenses base personnel and I think they will struggle to make opposing defenses obligate the extra man to create said threat.

2.) Slow down on the love parade for our beloved bulldawgs. Yes we have some promising prospects for this year. A senior QB, a healthy experienced OL, an ALL-SEC monster at DE and an aggressive DC (hopefully). But we do have some other things that aren't in our favor either. A tougher schedule, inexperienced WRs w/ a passing style QB, unproven DBs, inconsistent LB play (except Skinner), QB depth that is REALLY scarey! The one thing that jumps out at me most is this. What happens if Tyler gets hurt? We will have an entire overhaul of the offense in scheme is what I am thinking. Not saying that it'll be bad or good, but in moat cases the needle on this wheel of fortune normally points to the bad.

3.) If Wallace stays healthy it will be an absolute BARN BURNER of an Egg Bowl! We won't blow them out, you can book it! The biggest thing they & everybody else took from the Egg Bowl was this "if you hit 17 he will fold." The scheme carried over to the Gator Bowl. Tyler was hit repeatedly after the play, during the play. Every time he took a three step drop or more he was on the ground. Heavesy & Mullen can NOT let that continue! It starts to attack his psyche. And before you know it as a DL or LB who is blitzing when you start to see him cringe before full contact is made you have a negative thinking QB who will plague his team of momentum. I was taught by one of the best DL coaches in the state to never stop hitting the QB. When we were piled up he was being hit @ the bottom, after his follow through-smash him! And when his back us to you and he's waiting for his post route to clear the zone "give God praise for blessing you with such a fine gift of glory!" Our staff needs to make sure our OL is absolutely nasty this yr! If they see that they should crush the defensive player for even thinking about it! Be nasty!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post

1st.) As far as Arky suffering this yr. Count me in as a buyer in this stock for a couple of reasons. The first (as you mentioned) is the loss of key contributors on offense in personnel. But one of the BIGGEST reasons they will suffer is the adaptation of the new scheme. Coach B is a West Coast style coach. He LOVES to ground & pound you with a physical running attack and dink & dunk with the short yardage underneath stuff as you ( a DC) try to compensate for the running game. The biggest hurdle with West Coast philosophies is the verbiage. And the QBs ability to see which front he is facing. Then moving the attention to the 2nd level of the defense to see what the OLB & S is showing you. That takes time to develop. And who knows, the young man MIGHT be able to do so quickly & comfortably without much of a transitional period. But odds are not in his favor to do so. Plus in order for this to work the run game MUST be a dangerous threat to move the chains Vs a defenses base personnel and I think they will struggle to make opposing defenses obligate the extra man to create said threat.

2.) Slow down on the love parade for our beloved bulldawgs. Yes we have some promising prospects for this year. A senior QB, a healthy experienced OL, an ALL-SEC monster at DE and an aggressive DC (hopefully). But we do have some other things that aren't in our favor either. A tougher schedule, inexperienced WRs w/ a passing style QB, unproven DBs, inconsistent LB play (except Skinner), QB depth that is REALLY scarey! The one thing that jumps out at me most is this. What happens if Tyler gets hurt? We will have an entire overhaul of the offense in scheme is what I am thinking. Not saying that it'll be bad or good, but in moat cases the needle on this wheel of fortune normally points to the bad.

3.) If Wallace stays healthy it will be an absolute BARN BURNER of an Egg Bowl! We won't blow them out, you can book it! The biggest thing they & everybody else took from the Egg Bowl was this "if you hit 17 he will fold." The scheme carried over to the Gator Bowl. Tyler was hit repeatedly after the play, during the play. Every time he took a three step drop or more he was on the ground. Heavesy & Mullen can NOT let that continue! It starts to attack his psyche. And before you know it as a DL or LB who is blitzing when you start to see him cringe before full contact is made you have a negative thinking QB who will plague his team of momentum. I was taught by one of the best DL coaches in the state to never stop hitting the QB. When we were piled up he was being hit @ the bottom, after his follow through-smash him! And when his back us to you and he's waiting for his post route to clear the zone "give God praise for blessing you with such a fine gift of glory!" Our staff needs to make sure our OL is absolutely nasty this yr! If they see that they should crush the defensive player for even thinking about it! Be nasty!

I agree with a lot of this, but if TR goes down, Dak is more than serviceable. We will probably just revert back to the style of offense that won us 9 games with a two star QB and no WR crops to speak of, the offense that Mullen loves, the one we ran for three seasons prior to this one and the offense that most of these players were recruited for........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, but if TR goes down, Dak is more than serviceable. We will probably just revert back to the style of offense that won us 9 games with a two star QB and no WR crops to speak of, the offense that Mullen loves, the one we ran for three seasons prior to this one and the offense that most of these players were recruited for........
    Yep. If I had it my way, we would start the season with the old style of offense, because I don't see Russell having a better year than last year with a tougher schedule and inexperienced WR's. Plus, Danny Two Gloves has proven he can turn chicken shit into chicken salad with that offense, and Dak is far from chicken shit.

vCash
    That fumble by either Robinson or Milton was huge too.. Just gave them 7 points.

vCash

QB depth that is REALLY scarey! The one thing that jumps out at me most is this. What happens if Tyler gets hurt? We will have an entire overhaul of the offense in scheme is what I am thinking. Not saying that it'll be bad or good, but in moat cases the needle on this wheel of fortune normally points to the bad
    I think Russell getting hurt would be a blessing. I know that sounds crazy, however:

1. We would simplify the offense and get back to the zone read
    2. Dak can throw the ball enough to keep teams honest on D
    3. We have better deep threats this season than we have had in the Mullen Era- safeties creeping up could get burnt
    4. We would depend on the QB and RB's the most- and that is the strength of our offense
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-09-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailmari View Post
    That fumble by either Robinson or Milton was huge too.. Just gave them 7 points.
    Butter-fingers Milton fumbled and change the momentum of the LSU game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    When I read this title I was thinking LSU. Beating both Arky and LSU would be really good for our W-L.
    I never count LSU as a win, ever. I pencil them in as a loss

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I think Russell getting hurt would be a blessing. I know that sounds crazy, however:

1. We would simplify the offense and get back to the zone read
    2. Dak can throw the ball enough to keep teams honest on D
    3. We have better deep threats this season than we have had in the Mullen Era- safeties creeping up could get burnt
    4. We would depend on the QB and RB's the most- and that is the strength of our offense
    Let Holloway get behind a db on a play. It's over. I would be willing to say that there are few to no DBs in this conference or any others that could flat footed run him down from behind. He would be deadly on the option as shifty and fast as he is. By the time he was corralled, it be too late in most cases.

Banned
    vCash
    But to reiterate, I don't give a shit about passing records or how pretty a ball a QB can throw. I want a gritty, tough S.O.B. that's gonna put a team on his shoulders and get that foot on fourth and goal. We are built to be an option team. We are not, nor have we ever been a pass first offense. Mullen needs to wake up and stop trying to pound square peg into round hole.

vCash

Number 3 is dead on. People forget that we beat those pansies up north 3 years in row with the Rebel Killer (Relf) because he was a tough hombre' and we ran it down their throat by manhandling them. Russell is a finesse player and always will be. I will give Russell credit for at least not having happy feet in the pocket, he will stand in there til the bitter end but its obvious when he does that it has a big effect on him as the game wears on.

vCash
    Guys you don't understand. The offense we have practiced all spring and this coming fall will be tailored to Tyler. Not to Dak. There's a reason Mullen keeps saying "we will go as far as Tyler will take us" because he as a coach knows it's easy for people to say "we'll just revert back". Doing that in the middle of a season riddled with difficult opponents is something else entirely. Do you guts not remember myself, Cadaver & C34 saying we "will be a better TEAM with Dak"? Do you guys not remember guys like Cookie blasting us saying we were idiots on the ole SPS? Excuse the reference but Dan has gone "ALL IN" with Tyler. If he goes down (I pray he doesn't) you will see what I'm saying. There's a reason our OLmen are getting heavier we are now tailoring the offense to Tyler. Watch, when he leaves our OL will start to shed weight because spread OLmen are lighter and zone block, pull and cut. They need to be lighter to accommodate a quicker and mobile QB. YOU CANT CHANGE THAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! That is a spring and fall developmental process not done in the heat of the season!

vCash
    Guys you don't understand. The offense we have practiced all spring and this coming fall will be tailored to Tyler. Not to Dak. There's a reason Mullen keeps saying "we will go as far as Tyler will take us" because he as a coach knows it's easy for people to say "we'll just revert back". Doing that in the middle of a season riddled with difficult opponents is something else entirely. Do you guts not remember myself, Cadaver & C34 saying we "will be a better TEAM with Dak"? Do you guys not remember guys like Cookie blasting us saying we were idiots on the ole SPS? Excuse the reference but Dan has gone "ALL IN" with Tyler. If he goes down (I pray he doesn't) you will see what I'm saying. There's a reason our OLmen are getting heavier we are now tailoring the offense to Tyler. Watch, when he leaves our OL will start to shed weight because spread OLmen are lighter and zone block, pull and cut. They need to be lighter to accommodate a quicker and mobile QB. YOU CANT CHANGE THAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! That is a spring and fall developmental process not done in the heat of the season!
    Yep.

And how stupid is it to make all of those changes for 1...not 2....but 1...more season of Tyler Russell? That's one of the many reasons I just wanted us to move on from Russell. It makes no sense to stray that far from what you're built to do so that ONE guy can "fit".

And spare us the "bbbbut Russell is our best QB EVER" bull shit, because he is not. He may be our best "passing QB" ever, but we could win as many games, if not more, games with Dak and the Spread option than we can with Russell and this new "let's give this a shot" offense.

It's kind of a shame that Gabe Jackson will be gone before we ever get back to the type of offense that we could really utilize him in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yep.

And how stupid is it to make all of those changes for 1...not 2....but 1...more season of Tyler Russell? That's one of the many reasons I just wanted us to move on from Russell. It makes no sense to stray that far from what you're built to do so that ONE guy can "fit".

And spare us the "bbbbut Russell is our best QB EVER" bull shit, because he is not. He may be our best "passing QB" ever, but we could win as many games, if not more, games with Dak and the Spread option than we can with Russell and this new "let's give this a shot" offense.

It's kind of a shame that Gabe Jackson will be gone before we ever get back to the type of offense that we could really utilize him in.
    There's a reason why QB is the position it is. Because EVERY offense is built around what the QB can do and their strengths. I doubt Barry Brunetti could do what Bo Wallace does at Ole Miss. It's the same offense, but it's different. Unless it's some primitive offense from the 1920's or something that no one runs.

Did we not rail Croom's ass for not tailoring his offense around Omarr Conner, but yet Dan gets criticized because he is building his offense around what Tyler can do?

I'm sorry- but if Dan told Tyler who was committed to MSU- "hey, we you don't fit our offense"- and he goes to Alabama and becomes a star there- it would be another "I can't believe MSU let __ QB slip through our fingers." We would look like dumbasses if we did that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    There's a reason why QB is the position it is. Because EVERY offense is built around what the QB can do and their strengths. I doubt Barry Brunetti could do what Bo Wallace does at Ole Miss. It's the same offense, but it's different. Unless it's some primitive offense from the 1920's or something that no one runs.

Did we not rail Croom's ass for not tailoring his offense around Omarr Conner, but yet Dan gets criticized because he is building his offense around what Tyler can do?

I'm sorry- but if Dan told Tyler who was committed to MSU- "hey, we you don't fit our offense"- and he goes to Alabama and becomes a star there- it would be another "I can't believe MSU let __ QB slip through our fingers." We would look like dumbasses if we did that.
    I'm in no way saying you can't tailor your offense to a star player....but I don't see Tyler as a star player. And I think Mullen would have been nuts not to sign Tyler. We had nothing.

And I'm not even sure how I would handle not playing Tyler this year, because that would be a tough thing to do...so I'm not "criticizing" him necessarily. I'm just looking at how this current team is built perfectly for a ground attack this year, and we have what looks like a damn good spread guy in Dak. So I hate to put one guy over the program. But I'm not naive in the fact that it would not look good to bench Tyler his Senior year after a bunch of passing records.

So basically what I'm saying is...in a perfect world where we wouldn't have to worry about hurting Russell's feelings or looking bad towards future QB recruits...I would want Dak to start behind this experienced OLine and these inexperienced WR's. BUT, since it isn't a perfect world, I think Mullen is doing the only thing he Can do, which is if you're going to have to play Tyler, tailor it around him as best you can and hope to pull some magic.

I actually am doing the opposite of criticizing Mullen because he is in a very tough spot....I just selfishly hate that we can't get back to the spread option THIS year, because we have a team that seems built perfectly for it this season. It's not really Mullen's fault that Tyler has been what we thought he would be, which is a damn good passing QB. He just doesn't fit Mullen's bread and butter offense. It's neither of their faults.

ETA: Ok, looking at my previous post, maybe I was a little critical...but I know Mullen is doing the only thing he can do. Had he gone with Dak last year, he wouldn't be forced to play Tyler this year. But Dak wasn't ready, so it is what it is. It's still unfortunate though in my opinion.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 05-09-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yep.

Yep. Spot on. Why spend two off season building around a QB that won't be here in a matter of months when we've spent years building a spread team?

Banned
    vCash
    I'll never say Tyler isn't a good QB. He just isn't the kind Mullen likes to run. It's not his fault. It's not Dan's fault. I just would like to us start integrating Dak into the offense in bigger and bigger chunks. He will be the future, after all.

vCash
    I'll never say Tyler isn't a good QB. He just isn't the kind Mullen likes to run. It's not his fault. It's not Dan's fault. I just would like to us start integrating Dak into the offense in bigger and bigger chunks. He will be the future, after all.
    Well, we had to do something. That shit we tried to run last year was terrible. Had we faced this kind of schedule last year- Tyler's numbers wouldnt look near as good asthey did.

Changes had to be made. I'll just be very happy when the Tyler Russell Era is done and we can get back to the Spread Option

vCash
    Standing by for Dan to run an offense with his own QB recruit. Starting year 5 and still don't have that guy.

QB recruiting is my biggest slam on Mullen. Huge swing with Cord, back to the wall, and.....

vCash
    You're assuming that Dak will return 100% from his turf toe. Hasn't that injury sent numerous NFL guys into retirement?