Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A game we never win, we will win in the fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Standing by for Dan to run an offense with his own QB recruit. Starting year 5 and still don't have that guy.

QB recruiting is my biggest slam on Mullen. Huge swing with Cord, back to the wall, and.....
    Well, Russell is a 4-star QB that was signed by Mullen. He has to count. And he has to play- Mullen has no choice. He just doesnt fit Mullen's system. We have a 4-star QB backed up by a 3-star who was offered by LSU and TCU. It's really hard to say we are in bad shape at QB.

Our lack of WR recruiting is far far more discouraging than QB. We havent had a legit pro caliber WR yet. They are much easier to find than QB's
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woozman View Post
    You're assuming that Dak will return 100% from his turf toe. Hasn't that injury sent numerous NFL guys into retirement?
    Dak's toe is not a big concern. He is ready to go

vCash
    this is assanine to even compare the two at this stage. One is coming into his fourth year taking snaps. The other, his second (and missed spring). It's not even close.

Just for the record, I think this is our best chance to beat LSU in a long time. Not that we'll actually do it. I see 6-7 wins right now.

vCash

Since this turned...

..into a Tyler Russell thread, here is my 2 cents on that:

1st, I blame the vast majority of Russell's shoddy play in the last 5 games on our shitty defense.

Against elite SEC competition, that was the worst display of MSU defense I have seen since the final years of Jackie's tenure.

They were constantly out of position, & when they were in the rare mood to hit somebody, they didn't know who to hit. And you call say all you want about Jon Banks, but he was constantly hamstrung by being force to play in a defensive backfield with a bunch of indecisive dumbasses.

Back to Russell: What Russell brings to the table is something rarely seen on a MSU football team: Leadership. And I mean leadership from the QB position. For all of Relf's positives, he didn't possess the personality to lead from the QB position. Russell possesses such a personality.

Add to Russell's 2012 woes a cadre of mediocre underachievers @ the WR position. Bumphis disappeared in every big game. The rest are utterly unforgettable in what they contributed to the 2012 campaign.

It looks like Mullen is going to use his big uglies to run the ball this fall. Sounds good to me, except he doesn't have a physical, punishing FB in the mold of Michael Davis. If Mullen wants to play Jackie-ball, I'm all for it. Just find you a 6'2" 210 lb FB who can wear out a defense.

As far as the passing, all I hear is how awesome our TE's will be, yet everybody acts like if we actually throw a pass to one of our TE's it will mark the defining moment in Mullen's downfall. From where I am sitting, Russell will have his 2013 WR targets locked & loaded. All I ask is there is no Chad Bumphis-type who will fall off the face of the earth in games against LSU, aTm, Bama, Ole Miss, etc.

If you wanted a top-notch SEC QB, you will have it this fall. If you wanted an OL that is big & mean & can take over a game, you will have it this fall.

So I don't get all the bitching.

My only bone of contention is the defense. Will they finally hit somebody in 2013 after taking 2012 off? We'll find out vs. OSU.

Lastly, get the special teams up to snuff, Dan. Enough of having to endure that Circus Maximus year after year after year.
    Last edited by Ronny; 05-09-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    ..into a Tyler Russell thread, here is my 2 cents on that:

1st, I blame the vast majority of Russell's shoddy play in the last 5 games on our shitty defense.

Against elite SEC competition, that was the worst display of MSU defense I have seen since the final years of Jackie's tenure.

They were constantly out of position, & when they were in the rare mood to hit somebody, they didn't know who to hit. And you call say all you want about Jon Banks, but he was constantly hamstrung by being force to play in a defensive backfield with a bunch of indecisive dumbasses.

Back to Russell: What Russell brings to the table is something rarely seen on a MSU football team: Leadership. And I mean leadership from the QB position. For all of Relf's positives, he didn't possess the personality to lead from the QB position. Russell possesses such a personality.

Add to Russell's 2012 woes a cadre of mediocre underachievers @ the WR position. Bumphis disappeared in every big game. The rest are utterly unforgettable in what they contributed to the 2012 campaign.

It looks like Mullen is going to use his big uglies to run the ball this fall. Sounds good to me, except he doesn't have a physical, punishing FB in the mold of Michael Davis. If Mullen wants to play Jackie-ball, I'm all for it. Just find you a 6'2" 210 lb FB who can wear out a defense.

As far as the passing, all I hear is how awesome our TE's will be, yet everybody acts like if we actually throw a pass to one of our TE's it will mark the defining moment in Mullen's downfall. From where I am sitting, Russell will have his 2013 WR targets locked & loaded. All I ask is there is no Chad Bumphis-type who fall off the face of the earth in games against LSU, aTm, Bama, Ole Miss, etc.

If you wanted a top-notch SEC QB, you will have it this fall. If you wanted an OL that is big & mean & can take over a game, you will have it this fall.

So I don't get all the bitching.

My only bone of contention is the defense. Will they finally hit somebody in 2013 after taking 2012 off? We'll find out vs. OSU.

Lastly, get the special teams up to snuff, Dan. Enough of having to endure that Circus Maximus year after year after year.
    We have a between the tackles, every down back in Robinson. LP, in my opinion, is not such a back. He is more of an option style scat back. The same with Jameon Lewis.

vCash

There...

Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    We have a between the tackles, every down back in Robinson. LP, in my opinion, is not such a back. He is more of an option style scat back. The same with Jameon Lewis.
    ..are no Michael Davis types on our roster.

Or to put it another way, there is nobody on our roster who possesses the Michael Davis build, the big bruiser that can go head-to-head with a LSU LB & gain 2 yards via pure meaness & muscle.

Since the SEC has gone to the West Coast/Spread offense, the Michael Davis brand of FB's have become all but extinct.

Too bad, since this is the year when a Michael Davis would flourish behind our huge, physical OL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'm in no way saying you can't tailor your offense to a star player....but I don't see Tyler as a star player. And I think Mullen would have been nuts not to sign Tyler. We had nothing.

And I'm not even sure how I would handle not playing Tyler this year, because that would be a tough thing to do...so I'm not "criticizing" him necessarily. I'm just looking at how this current team is built perfectly for a ground attack this year, and we have what looks like a damn good spread guy in Dak. So I hate to put one guy over the program. But I'm not naive in the fact that it would not look good to bench Tyler his Senior year after a bunch of passing records.

So basically what I'm saying is...in a perfect world where we wouldn't have to worry about hurting Russell's feelings or looking bad towards future QB recruits...I would want Dak to start behind this experienced OLine and these inexperienced WR's. BUT, since it isn't a perfect world, I think Mullen is doing the only thing he Can do, which is if you're going to have to play Tyler, tailor it around him as best you can and hope to pull some magic.

I actually am doing the opposite of criticizing Mullen because he is in a very tough spot....I just selfishly hate that we can't get back to the spread option THIS year, because we have a team that seems built perfectly for it this season. It's not really Mullen's fault that Tyler has been what we thought he would be, which is a damn good passing QB. He just doesn't fit Mullen's bread and butter offense. It's neither of their faults.

ETA: Ok, looking at my previous post, maybe I was a little critical...but I know Mullen is doing the only thing he can do. Had he gone with Dak last year, he wouldn't be forced to play Tyler this year. But Dak wasn't ready, so it is what it is. It's still unfortunate though in my opinion.
    I'm not saying you tailor your offense around Tyler because he is a star. I'm saying you build your offense around him because he is the QB.

Just like John Skelton is not a star QB in the NFL, but the Arizona Cardinals had to tailor their offense around him because he is their QB.

It's really not any different than when we tailored the offense around Relf when he was the QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Well, Russell is a 4-star QB that was signed by Mullen. He has to count. And he has to play- Mullen has no choice. He just doesnt fit Mullen's system. We have a 4-star QB backed up by a 3-star who was offered by LSU and TCU. It's really hard to say we are in bad shape at QB.

Our lack of WR recruiting is far far more discouraging than QB. We havent had a legit pro caliber WR yet.
    They are much easier to find than QB's

THIS all day long. Of all the complaints about Dan's recruiting- for me this is the biggest. For some reason he sometimes doesn't fill needs for some reason. A couple of years ago, it was the o-line the year we had to move Carmon over to OT. And last year, despite having Tyler on the roster for years, we had ONE WR over 6'3", and he was a redshirt freshman. How do you not know that you don't have some WR's with size who you can use to stretch the field and go up and get the ball? We basically started three slot WR's last year.

vCash
    exactly my thoughts as well - except for Auburn - it appears that Kyle Frazier is going to be their QB again this season and I believe that is a big part of their problems ... I see them better defensively than they were last year but still unable to move the ball ...... we are gonna beat those guys on their home field this year and I will be there to extoll the emotional taxes that are owed to us

vCash
    1.) Turf toe not properly treated in fact CAN end your football career. It ended mine.

2.) Stop blaming the defense on the last 5 games. 3 out of 5 I will totally agree. But we lost to tsun because of the offense and bad play calling. The defense forced 3 turnovers and a shanked punt in the first half of the Egg Bowl. What more can you ask for? The Gator Bowl actually the defense AGAIN created opportunities to be victorious. Tyler forced balls and cost us that game and Dan compounded the problem by keeping him in the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    2.) Stop blaming the defense on the last 5 games. 3 out of 5 I will totally agree. But we lost to tsun because of the offense and bad play calling. The defense forced 3 turnovers and a shanked punt in the first half of the Egg Bowl. What more can you ask for? The Gator Bowl actually the defense AGAIN created opportunities to be victorious. Tyler forced balls and cost us that game and Dan compounded the problem by keeping him in the game.
    Exactly, I cant understand why people blame the defense so much- yet completely forget that we didnt get our 3rd first down against A&M until halfway in the 3rd quarter.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    1.) Turf toe not properly treated in fact CAN end your football career. It ended mine.

We lost to the bears because Mullen didn't and Co. didn't give a rat's fat ass about that game last season. Horrible play calling and game planning cost us that one. Not to mention piss-poor effort all the way around. I honestly think we beat them by double digits this go around to erase the embarrassment of that loss.