Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mississippi State basketball by the (RPI) numbers

Banned
    vCash
    Ready is a walking tampon. He can't put his socks on without getting injured. Ray needs a reliable PG. We still don't have one and won't next year it looks like.

vCash
    Coach and others can laugh this off and give lame explaintions all they want, but this is a disaster and it's not all on Stans. Before anyone asks, yes it was time for him to go, but no one saw Stricklin screwing this up this badly. Ray has a long history of being moved place to place due to one reason--he can't recruit. The first class wasn't on him, but this second one was and he managed to get only one player to contribute when we had to have a full class. This class coming in is no great answer either. We will be better simply because we will have more bodies and more depth, but make no mistake--this has been a catostrophic failure by our AD and Coach. We have gone from an underachieving NIT team to the number 13 team in the conference to the worst team in a very poor SEC. Our watered down schedule makes the window dressing look barely passable and allows folks to CYA. But this is a terrible team to watch and I've seen better pickup games in the old gym than the play I now see on the floor. Our program is in very serious trouble and to laugh it off and make excuses cant hide that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Coach and others can laugh this off and give lame explaintions all they want, but this is a disaster and it's not all on Stans. Before anyone asks, yes it was time for him to go, but no one saw Stricklin screwing this up this badly. Ray has a long history of being moved place to place due to one reason--he can't recruit. The first class wasn't on him, but this second one was and he managed to get only one player to contribute when we had to have a full class. This class coming in is no great answer either. We will be better simply because we will have more bodies and more depth, but make no mistake--this has been a catostrophic failure by our AD and Coach. We have gone from an underachieving NIT team to the number 13 team in the conference to the worst team in a very poor SEC. Our watered down schedule makes the window dressing look barely passable and allows folks to CYA. But this is a terrible team to watch and I've seen better pickup games in the old gym than the play I now see on the floor. Our program is in very serious trouble and to laugh it off and make excuses cant hide that.
    Good post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raytoraid83 View Post
    Good post.
    Please, Pleaseeee...give us just one example of a team not named Kentucky that fired its coach, lost all 5 starters, kicked 3 off for drugs, and lost 2 more to ACL injuries- and won? Just one, thats all I want. ONE. Uno.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    please give me an example of a single team that wore orange shoe strings, had a one legged player, and a hobbit for a center.

Teams aren't supposed to succumb to the adversity, they're supposed to overcome it. We're not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

Teams aren't supposed to succumb to the adversity, they're supposed to overcome it. We're not even close.
    There is a difference in adversity- and your program being nuked.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    So what you are saying is we are having more adversity that anyone else has during Ray's tenure. No one in the nation has had as tough a situation as Ray has, yet you blindly say that he should have been able to overcome it at this point. Why? What he is going through is literally unprecedented. Look, why can't you just accept he will get another year? Everyone has said your complaints will be warranted if this goes on next year. Just relax, enjoy baseball season, and do your best to make us all miserable next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Please, Pleaseeee...give us just one example of a team that kicked 3 off for drugs- and won? Just one, thats all I want. ONE. Uno.
    Good question

vCash
    Ray has a long history of being moved place to place due to one reason--he can't recruit.
    You literally just made that up. Congrats.

vCash
    Please, Pleaseeee...give us just one example of a team not named Kentucky that fired its coach, lost all 5 starters, kicked 3 off for drugs, and lost 2 more to ACL injuries- and won? Just one, thats all I want. ONE. Uno.
    Coach, I've been reading your posts since well before you were banned from SPS. I think that you are one of the most knowledgable/insightful posters on football. I usually make a point to always read your posts pertaining to football. However, you are completely oblivious when it comes to basketball. You should consider not posting at all on this sport. You are wasting your time trying to spin the RPI #s from the OP. I refuse to criticize coach Ray this year, but next year is fair game. NIT or foot patrol for Ray. I am still scratching my head over this obscure hire. WTF Scott?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You literally just made that up. Congrats.
    That's the rap on him. Sorry Mrs Ray if that offends you but please point out the true difference makers he has brought into the program. Answer zero and for those who think we are getting Newman, well you need a mental health evaluation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid mouth View Post
    Coach, I've been reading your posts since well before you were banned from SPS. I think that you are one of the most knowledgable/insightful posters on football. I usually make a point to always read your posts pertaining to football. However, you are completely oblivious when it comes to basketball. You should consider not posting at all on this sport. You are wasting your time trying to spin the RPI #s from the OP. I refuse to criticize coach Ray this year, but next year is fair game. NIT or foot patrol for Ray. I am still scratching my head over this obscure hire. WTF Scott?????
    Wow- I'm not trying to spin anything. I just keep asking a question that nobody can answer. The fact is that Ray inherited a toxic shitburger and it's going to take a little while to dig out of it.

If we dont see some improvement next year- I'll be in the front of the line giving him shit. But I believe we will see an improved basketball team capable of winning 20 games next year. And when we do- the salt is gonna to be rubbed errywhere

vCash
    That's the rap on him. Sorry Mrs Ray if that offends you but please point out the true difference makers he has brought into the program. Answer zero and for those who think we are getting Newman, well you need a mental health evaluation.
    Robert Kirby has coached at what- 4 schools in the last 5 years? What does that say about him????

vCash
    the more important question is why are people ok with being the worst team in the league this year and going into next year. I hope they schedule powder puff east west northern state 15 times next year so we can still wins few.

we've gotten worse under Ray. Point. Blank. Period. and there are ZERO signs that we're going to get better. Sign Newman I'll relent. Sign any 2-3 studs who can score and play and I'll relent. It's not rocket science. you need basketball players to play basketball and right now Ray isn't filling his roster with those. A girls scrimmage player and a football walk on were two of our best players in the last game. Happy for them, but that's not a good thing for the state of the program.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    the more important question is why are people ok with being the worst team in the league this year and going into next year. I hope they schedule powder puff east west northern state 15 times next year so we can still wins few.

we've gotten worse under Ray. Point. Blank. Period. and there are ZERO signs that we're going to get better. Sign Newman I'll relent. Sign any 2-3 studs who can score and play and I'll relent. It's not rocket science. you need basketball players to play basketball and right now Ray isn't filling his roster with those. A girls scrimmage player and a football walk on were two of our best players in the last game. Happy for them, but that's not a good thing for the state of the program.
    So you are going to continue to bash him right now over things that he cannot do a thing about right now? He can't sign anyone or add anyone right now. Our team is what it is at this point. We suck. No one says differently, but everyone knows it is going to be a struggle the rest of the way out. But you and your ilk start a new thread every single game bashing him.

I guess since you didn't see it the first time I posted. Last year we lost by 40+ 3 times, 30+ 6 times, and 20+ 10 times. This year we have lost by 40+ 0 times, 30+ 0 times, and 20+ 10 times. How can you possibly say we are getting worse? That shows obvious improvement from last year. Not in the wins category obviously, but it shows we are at least climbing somewhat out of the abyss we were in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    Last year we lost by 40+ 3 times, 30+ 6 times, and 20+ 10 times. This year we have lost by 40+ 0 times, 30+ 0 times, and 20+ 10 times. How can you possibly say we are getting worse? That shows obvious improvement from last year. Not in the wins category obviously, but it shows we are at least climbing somewhat out of the abyss we were in.

Somehow it isnt obvious to people

vCash
    So you are going to continue to bash him right now over things that he cannot do a thing about right now? He can't sign anyone or add anyone right now. Our team is what it is at this point. We suck. No one says differently, but everyone knows it is going to be a struggle the rest of the way out. But you and your ilk start a new thread every single game bashing him.

I guess since you didn't see it the first time I posted. Last year we lost by 40+ 3 times, 30+ 6 times, and 20+ 10 times. This year we have lost by 40+ 0 times, 30+ 0 times, and 20+ 10 times. How can you possibly say we are getting worse? That shows obvious improvement from last year. Not in the wins category obviously, but it shows we are at least climbing somewhat out of the abyss we were in.
    Not saying I agree with Hack, but this is a very misleading and incorrect post. We played a WAAAAY tougher schedule last year. That's why we got blown out more. Plus, these guys were a year younger.

Look, I hope Ray gets it going...but just because shitty gets a year older and doesn't get blown out as bad, doesn't make them not shitty. They will be better next year bc they're a year older...period. And God help us when guys like Sword graduate. We'll have IJ Glass and a bunch of Tyson Cunninghams running around out there after Ray boots our only 2 decent recruits for smoking a black n mild.

All joking aside though..I'm frustrated at the botched hire. Nothing against Ray bc it's not his fault, but USM and their lack of bball history were able to hire 2 solid head coaches in their last 2 hires...yet MSU had to get an assistant from a team that sucked. Stricklin blew it, and we're all praying somehow Ray can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

vCash
    But I believe we will see an improved basketball team capable of winning 20 games next year.
    Is that 20 wins via a simple Jack schedule, or because we are actually improving? Because, that matters. This year we are worse than we were last year, but since we've won more games, people have been creamin' their pants about our "upward trajectory".....

And btw, I really think you're over estimating the quality of players we'll be adding next year. Just increasing bodies on the bench won't win games; they have to be able to play. I'll wager a C-note that Noide (sp?) will be a less polished John Riek; if he can play D I'll be happy, though.

For the record: I'm a Rick Ray fan. I think he's a great guy, and he's the kind of guy I want to root for. But this is basketball, and in this game you've got to have talent.

vCash
    This has more to do with dept than it does us "getting better". Last year, we were playing 5 players and a walk-on, and by the second half they were completely gassed. This year, we've been able to rest guys more.

What's the most disheartening to me is our lack of fundamentals. We don't defend once the shot clock gets inside 10sec. We absolutely refuse to box out...and despite popular belief, we're not small down low; Ware is 270+ 6'9" and Collin is what 240 6'8"? Thats not tiny - they should be better at rebounding. We are horrendous at free-throws. And we can not hit jump shots. It is the worst example of basketball I've seen garner the maroon and white.

vCash

Still waiting on an answer to this...
    The lack of an answer to a stupid question is not proof if anything.