Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Coach question and request O.T. the Zeppelin tribute and what I think were their

vCash
    Neil Peart is the man no doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Neil Peart is the man no doubt.
    Greatest drummer in my generation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Greatest drummer in my generation.
    He is probably the greatest rock drummer of all time. When I learned 2112 overture/ temples id syrix and Tom Sawyer, I thought I was bad. Alex Lifeson is a very underrated guitarist imo and Geddy Lee is just awesome.

vCash
    ok...back to the important shit- Zeppelin

Everybody has music that just "speaks to them". Zeppelin is that #1 group for me. They were hard rock but I wouldnt call them heavy metal- they were the precursor to metal. They had some some early psychedelic stuff because of the time period but they were deeply rooted in blues/rock. They just changed the game with their music and lyrics- and it worked like no other.

Plant wanted to be bluesman originally- not some big RNR star. Page's love of blues music is what helped bond the two. Add that Page is one of the best guitarists to ever live and Plant's eccentric lyrics worked together greatly. JPJ was the ultimate role player- his greatest was being versatile, which allowed them to add alot of things to their songs. Bonham was the backbone of the group and really their leader- so there was no moving on after he died.

It sux that it ended when it did because they were still creative and doing new things- but also still doing creative things with their old songs. For example on Whole Lotta Love- they took out the psychedelic screams and shit out and played an updated bluesy-rock version in 1979 that is one of the best things I have ever heard. Here it is:

They have the obvious big ones like Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, Stairway, etc- but I love alot of them that arent the obvious hits also. When The Levee Breaks, Travelling Riverside Blues, The Ocean, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Over The Hills and Far Away, In My Time of Dying...and others

Jack Black said it perfectly in that tribute- simply "Best....Band....Ever"
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    When the levee breaks is probably my favorite Zeppelin song

vCash
    I will admit that I have become a Dave Grohl fan though

vCash
    If you want to know how much MS music means to the world, look no further than Robert Plant. Dude lives in Memphis and just hangs out on Beal and in the Ms delta and plays rinky dink festivals because of the music that inspired him so much. He can live anywhere and he's originally from England with no Ms ties other than that music he loved growing up. Pretty cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Wow, no shit? Man, I remember that, lol.

Do you remember this last time when he told the story about ordering breakfast from the hotel, and they were out of bagels, so he went to the corner Starbucks, and the guy asked him to "do him a solid" and let him propose to his girl on stage?

That was one of the coolest moments I've ever seen. What I really like is when the girl said yes, everyone cheered and they started to walk off stage, and Dave stopped them and said "no sit right here [in front of the drumset]: this song is for you", and they played Everlong. As capt. Jack Aubrey would say, "oh what pitiful stuff".
    Yeah, I remember that. My buddy had to take his girl to get checked on by the med crew, but I stayed to watch the rest of the show.

vCash
    No doubt.

My dad was big into blues music. Got me into it growing up listening to Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed....

vCash
    Zep is definitely the shit. Their range and creativity really shows in some of their more recent projects. Plant's stuff with Allison Krauss is unreal. JPJ with Grohl in Them Crooked Vultures is vastly underrated. Even Page's Black Crowes work is at least fun an better than most "tribute" style compilations.

vCash
    Coach- enjoying this discussion about some of the great old acts from my day. Is there room (or need) on Elitedawgs for a music related forum?

vCash
    Nahhhh- but we can discuss music here some, especially in the offseason. Slick is a big music fan also, so he doesnt stay on me to move the music threads to the BS forum as quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    They certainly didn't intend to be heavy metal- I'm not sure it even existed at that point. Sure, people like Steppenwolf, the Kinks, and The Who were around as was Hendrix- but Zeppelin was just heavy. They certainly inspired the genre whether they intended to or not. They did things that no one had done and took it to a new level.
    Black Sabbath was the first metal band that toured outside the UK and Europe. This was in 1970. America had not yet been introduced to metal. They were the first of their kind. Zeppelin started out as a pure unadulterated rock n' roll band, then became more progressive later on. Both groups heavily influenced metal bands that appeared on the scene in the 80's and early 90's. But Zeppelin was never metal.

vCash
    If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read "Hammer of the Gods" Great story about Zeppelin.

Hard to pick just one favorite song, but some of mine include No Quarter, Bring it on Home, Ten Years Gone, What Is and What Should Never Be, etc. etc. etc.

vCash
    Achilles Last Stand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Achilles Last Stand.
    my shower song...it's 10 minutes long-perfect for the shower

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunDog26 View Post
    If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read "Hammer of the Gods" Great story about Zeppelin.

Hard to pick just one favorite song, but some of mine include No Quarter, Bring it on Home, Ten Years Gone, What Is and What Should Never Be, etc. etc. etc.
    No Quarter is awesome.

vCash
    Y'all should check out some of Sabbath's early records with Iommi, Butler, Ward, and Osbourne. Truly pioneers of their time.

vCash
    Sabbath had some good early stuff- no doubt. As ****ed up as Ozzy is- that ****er has been apart of some good music

vCash
    I have an old VHS tape of one of their outdoor concerts in California from '71 or something. Rather interesting crowd. More like angry hippies