Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Coach question and request O.T. the Zeppelin tribute and what I think were their

Banned
    vCash

Hey Coach question and request O.T. the Zeppelin tribute and what I think were their

2 best songs that were not part of the tribute... I always thought Zeppelin taught the music industry that metal didn't have to be about jack hammers and chain saws. they brought melody to metal . that's why one of my favorites of all times was "The Rover" from the Grafitti album. would like your thoughts on that. to me "the Rover" was the best example of how they changed attitudes towards metal.

and I've always thought that the best love song ever written was "Thank You"...

so your thoughts and posting that link again would be greatly appreciated...

vCash
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Will add my thoughts in the morning
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I've never really considered Zeppelin "metal"; to me they are way too refined for that characterization. The majority of their sound stems from the blues; I mean, Jimmy Page is one of the greatest blues/rock guitarists of our time, yet not very many people recognize them as such.

Bonzo....needs no description. To me he is the greatest rock drummer of all time. Yes there are drummers now a days that play "faster" or "harder" stuff...but Bonham was the trendsetter in much of what we know today as innovative drumming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I've never really considered Zeppelin "metal"; to me they are way too refined for that characterization. The majority of their sound stems from the blues; I mean, Jimmy Page is one of the greatest blues/rock guitarists of our time, yet not very many people recognize them as such.

Bonzo....needs no description. To me he is the greatest rock drummer of all time. Yes there are drummers now a days that play "faster" or "harder" stuff...but Bonham was the trendsetter in much of what we know today as innovative drumming.
    They certainly didn't intend to be heavy metal- I'm not sure it even existed at that point. Sure, people like Steppenwolf, the Kinks, and The Who were around as was Hendrix- but Zeppelin was just heavy. They certainly inspired the genre whether they intended to or not. They did things that no one had done and took it to a new level.

Banned
    vCash
    God that was great.. just doesn't get any better than that. thank you 34... I needed that... perfect

vCash
    That's a good way to conceptualize it.

I guess that goes back to what I was saying about Bonham - He was doing things that no drummer had ever thought to do, and now everyone does it.

vCash
    In my opinion though, in terms of style and "heavy sound", I consider Cream the first true heavy metal band; I see LedZep as more psychedelic and heavy-blues oriented.

Essentially a clone of Zeppelin's style, in the 90's Sound Garden successfully recreated that heavy/psychedelic rock.

vCash
    Zeppelin was a blues/rock band that wrote songs that were influenced by the writings of J.R.R Tolkien. Yes, that J.R.R Tolkien. That is why Led Zeppelin always a mystical/Lord of the Rings feeling to their music.

I worked in a music store once with some Zeppelin fanatics and they talked about it all the time. Google it

Here is a start: http://www.theonering.com/reading-ro...d-tolkien-fans
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 02-25-2014 at 12:01 AM.

vCash
    Not only that, but Page was obsessed with the occult, hence the album title "Houses of the Holy". Those guys were ****in' bad asses. Have y'all heard the story about the drunken night in a hotel room on a river, and Bonham and Plant fishing from the river and spanking a woman with the large fish they caught?

vCash

I think Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins do a great job of keeping that drumming style going.

vCash
    Wow. Thank you! I couldn't agree more.

I learned how to play drums by listening to my Nirvana Nevermind album I bought the day it hit the shelves. Once I got the basics down, I moved on to Zeppelin, Phil Collins, the Police, etc.

The Foo Fighters are the best band I've ever seen live, and one of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them twice in Memphis, and both times they played for like 3.5 hours, and both times did like a 5-10 song encore; those guys rock the ****in' house. Not only is he an awesome drummer and musician, but Dave is a great guy who sends a really good message to aspiring musicians.

Drummerdawg, you didn't march MSU drumline by chance?

vCash
    I was at the last two Foo Fighters concerts in Memphis. I was on the floor level at the last one and my buddy's girlfriend at the time passed out toward the end and Dave stopped in the middle of a song to get some lights on us and make sure everything was cool. Swell guy. (She was okay, btw)

vCash
    Wow, no shit? Man, I remember that, lol.

Do you remember this last time when he told the story about ordering breakfast from the hotel, and they were out of bagels, so he went to the corner Starbucks, and the guy asked him to "do him a solid" and let him propose to his girl on stage?

That was one of the coolest moments I've ever seen. What I really like is when the girl said yes, everyone cheered and they started to walk off stage, and Dave stopped them and said "no sit right here [in front of the drumset]: this song is for you", and they played Everlong. As capt. Jack Aubrey would say, "oh what pitiful stuff".

vCash
    Wow. Thank you! I couldn't agree more.

I learned how to play drums by listening to my Nirvana Nevermind album I bought the day it hit the shelves. Once I got the basics down, I moved on to Zeppelin, Phil Collins, the Police, etc.

The Foo Fighters are the best band I've ever seen live, and one of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them twice in Memphis, and both times they played for like 3.5 hours, and both times did like a 5-10 song encore; those guys rock the ****in' house. Not only is he an awesome drummer and musician, but Dave is a great guy who sends a really good message to aspiring musicians.

Drummerdawg, you didn't march MSU drumline by chance?
    No, no. I'm not much for marching, I like to sit behind a trap set.

vCash
    Thats cool man. Regardless, I appreciate a person who's willing to give some credit to those boys. Like I said, Dave is one of my heros. I've met a number of drummers who put their nose up to Dave Grohl, which I generally respond with something like this....

Did you watch his movie "Sound City"? If not, I highly recommend it!

vCash
    Not sure if I have seen that or not but I know a decent amount about him. Dave is a good drummer but I really admire his passion for music more than anything. I don't think he gets enough credit from some people. Do you play drums?

vCash
    I do, for about 20 years now, but most of my experience has been in marching percussion - I marched at MSU for 8 years, through undergrad and my masters degree. I started out playing set, though.

what about you?

Edit: here is the IMDB link for Sound City. I'm sure you'd love it.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306745/

vCash
    Thats cool. Yes I play. Got my first set when i was 3 and been playing ever since (I'm 27 now). I will have to check that out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    I think Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins do a great job of keeping that drumming style going.
    My vote goes to the drummer from Rush.