Thread: Since defense counsel is an Ole Miss alumni

vCash

Since defense counsel is an Ole Miss alumni

If he charges the Kimchee's anything other than his standard rate, would that constitute an NCAA violation for improper benefits?
    Elitedawgs - A forum for Mississippi State fans

@elitedawgs

vCash
    What would Bracky do?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elitedawgs View Post
    If he charges the Kimchee's anything other than his standard rate, would that constitute an NCAA violation for improper benefits?
    Interesting question.

Many high profile lawyers take pro bono cases every so often, but I don't know how the NCAA would look at it if the lawyer is a grad (or if it would even be legal if he wasn't a grad). Maybe if he could show a history of taking pro bono cases (that don't all involve OM athletes)?

My guess is that there is probably some regulation against it.

vCash
    They are smarter than we'd like them to be.

Lawyer will bill them standard rate, and won't go after them for not paying. Wait a few years and write it off as unpaid bill.

Simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elitedawgs View Post
    I don't know whether they would consider that a violation or not (I would think that they would), but it really doesn't matter because unless that is publicly available information, the NCAA could never find out how much Kimdeechee was charged.

vCash
    This question has been asked on all the boards, but I haven't seen a main point made.

Doesn't that only become a factor if Farese is a booster? Same thing as me buying Dak a burger if I didn't give money to the BC. It would be within the rules, would it not? The problem, obviously, is the NCAA's subjective nature... who really know! ha

vCash
    NCAA can request from Kimdeche the records of payment, if he refused to cooperate, his eligibility could be in jeopardy similarly to Renardo Sydney's situation. However Kimdeche's eligibility will more than likely be exhausted before this case finishes navigating the legal system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdog View Post
    NCAA can request from Kimdeche the records of payment, if he refused to cooperate, his eligibility could be in jeopardy similarly to Renardo Sydney's situation. However Kimdeche's eligibility will more than likely be exhausted before this case finishes navigating the legal system.
    Yea, I remember them doing that with Sydney, but I can't remember them doing that with anyone else. For whatever reason, they seem to have backed away from that "no nonsense" type of approach. It seems like they used to investigate with the mindset of, "Yes, we are perfectly aware of the fact that we have no legal right to this information, but if you want to continue to be a college athlete, you are going to give it to us." Now everybody lawyers up and tells them to go **** themselves and they just tuck their tail between their legs and go on home.

I could be way off the mark on this, but it sure seems to me that without a media outlet or MSU-type compliance department handing the NCAA a smoking gun, they are completely incapable of catching a program cheating......it seems like 10+ years ago they ruled with an iron fist, but over the last 6 or 8 years they have become more and more of a joke.

vCash
    Not sure what standard rates are. I know a guy that used this lawyer 10 years ago. His fee was 80k.