Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Meredith Statue

vCash

James Meredith Statue

Was found with a noose around the neck and draped in a old Georgia flag on OM campus. 2 people dressed in camo pants fleeing the scene

vCash
    At the request of Chancellor Dan Jones, the university’s Alumni Association has offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of two individuals involved in an early morning incident on The University of Mississippi campus.

The University Police Department (UPD) is looking for two men who were seen early Sunday morning near the James Meredith statue, which commemorates the 1962 integration of the university. One of the men was reported to have been wearing camouflage pants. The statue had been draped with a noose and an old Georgia state flag, and the men were heard shouting racial slurs.

Jones condemned the action as contrary to the beliefs and values of the university community. “These individuals chose our university’s most visible symbol of unity and educational accessibility to express their disagreement with our values. Their ideas have no place here, and our response will be an even greater commitment to promoting the values that are engraved on the statue – Courage, Knowledge, Opportunity, and Perseverance.”

Assistant to the Chancellor for Multicultural Affairs Don Cole reiterated the creed that the university stands by. “This is particularly painful because the James Meredith statue has become a gathering place for students to discuss many things, including the tenets of our creed, which calls for dignity and respect for all people.”

UPD has initiated a rigorous investigation and alerted Oxford Police. Anyone with information concerning the investigation is urged to contact UPD at 662-915-7234.
    Was apparently sent out to students in an email

vCash
    If this type of thing "has no place at Ole Miss", then why does this type of thing always happen at Ole Miss? #Martyr

vCash
    I mean damn .. Is OM trying to set a record for most bad publicity in a month.???

vCash
    That University is a constant embarrassment to my home state and it pisses me off to no end.

vCash
    Wow. They can't stop stepping on their own dicks. It's just getting sad now

#GrenadaWithoutTheLake
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Par for the course.

Fins Up

vCash
    I'd be worried if I'd done it. That's a big reward.

vCash
    If it's two football players that did that, I'm going to laugh my ass off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    That University is a constant embarrassment to my home state and it pisses me off to no end.

I've been saying it for years. If they really want to change their image and really "progress", they MUST drop everything related to their cherished images of the old south, the confederacy, everything. And yes, that includes the athletic name "Rebels".

vCash
    There is really nothing funny about this shit, guys. This WILL get national news, and the average person outside of Mississippi, will not see this as an Ole Miss issue, it will be a Mississippi issue, which impacts all of us.

Thanks assholes, for ****in' us again.

vCash
    "Old Times there are not forgotten
    Look away, look away Dixieland"
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    "Family values".

All about "love" up there, you know?

smh

Those people are disgusting.
    Last edited by MSUDawg4Life; 02-17-2014 at 07:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    "Old Times there are not forgotten
    Look away, look away Dixieland"
    They're great at the "look away, look away" part

vCash
    Guys, this is the type incident that will draw attention and people who start asking questions about all sorts of other things. We may be about to see a 4 alarm dumpster fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I've been saying it for years. If they really want to change their image and really "progress", they MUST drop everything related to their cherished images of the old south, the confederacy, everything. And yes, that includes the athletic name "Rebels".

THIS all day. It's Marketing 101.

Unfortunately the Ole Miss fanbase won't tolerate dropping "Ole Miss" or "Rebels" or Dixie. In fact, their marketing heavily promotes "I AM A REBEL".

Such promotion is an underhanded admission that "Rebels" is something that is otherwise shameful in its own right. The point is they wouldn't have to try so hard to redefine "Rebels" if there were nothing inherently wrong with it.

They need a complete branding overhaul. But it won't happen. They barely survived the on-field dismissal of Col Reb. These days Col Reb canbe found in the Grove with old south sympathizers. Lots of good that did.

vCash
    Spirit is shut down.

vCash
    they always do beardo. I despise them for it.

vCash
    This is horrible on all counts. The rebels might be able to keep the NCAA at arms length but now they are going to deal with the liberal media. No one wins that. I agree that this is a black eye for the state not just that ignorant program up north.

vCash