Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geoff Collins

vCash

Geoff Collins

I know C34 has stated numerous times he's getting a raise. I get that. What I don't understand is the timing and lack of communication around it.

Do it now and it shows stability and continuity on the defensive coaching staff. The longer the wait the more questions are perceived by the public fan base. I'm sure GC and Mullen are telling the recruits things concerning this issue that we don't hear to give them a price of mind.

If I'm the AD I give raises/extensions right now. Especially after this Bruce Feldman report.

The timing and lack of communication is starting to piss me off.

vCash
    Why would the lack of public knowledge make you mad? We know it's coming, anyone who doesn't think Collins is getting a raise is crazy. So who cares when it's announced? Recruits don't care about how much a coach makes, they just want to know they'll be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    I know C34 has stated numerous times he's getting a raise. I get that. What I don't understand is the timing and lack of communication around it.

Do it now and it shows stability and continuity on the defensive coaching staff. The longer the wait the more questions are perceived by the public fan base. I'm sure GC and Mullen are telling the recruits things concerning this issue that we don't hear to give them a price of mind.

If I'm the AD I give raises/extensions right now. Especially after this Bruce Feldman report.

They'll announce it when the staff is settled. I guarantee Collins already knows what he's getting.

vCash
    I hope Stricklin can continue to say that no coach has left for financial reasons come this time next week.

vCash
    I would be willing to bet that Collins and the powers that be know what his pay increase will be.

Just because it isn't out in the media doesn't mean that there isn't some behind the scenes stuff.

vCash
    It irritates me more than anything. Communication/action early in a situation like this is the way to go IMO. What benefits are there in waiting if "it's going to happen"? If I'm the AD I want the public perception of me doing my job as confident and getting things done. The longer it drags out the more I question these things about SS.

vCash
    Collins knows he is getting it and knows exactly what his salary will be....I'm not seeing the problem? Because they havent told you?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    What is our track record for keeping what is perceived as talented coordinators/assistants lately?

vCash
    It irritates me more than anything. Communication/action early in a situation like this is the way to go IMO. What benefits are there in waiting if "it's going to happen"? If I'm the AD I want the public perception of me doing my job as confident and getting things done. The longer it drags out the more I question these things about SS.
    Then the problem is you, not Stricklin. You don't have some right to know about everything as it's happening. I always love people who say things like this - 'So-and-so needs to do x and y, because even though it has no bearing on the job he's actually doing, if he doesn't do it my opinion of him will go down for no reason, so he should do it'.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes, he's getting a raise - but how much is the question. I mean, hell, if Strick just offered $400K per year Collins may very well have accepted it because he just got a $109K raise. But that doesn't stop him for looking for more elsewhere.

One of 2 things has happened:

1. We haven't agreed to anything with Collins yet.

2. We have agreed to an amount but it still embarrassingly low.

IF YOU SIGN YOUR D.C. TO A BIG INCREASE YOU BRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT. Odds are Strick is probably going no higher than $400K and Collins is still the lowest paid DC in the SEC by $80K. I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I bet you Strick is going to wet the bed on this. If we let Collins get away and he makes anything less than $750 I'm done with Strick.

vCash
    I have heard we bumped Collins to $500K

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    That is correct. If we lose Collins it's because he wants to go to FSU not bc we low balled him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

vCash
    If they take Collins, i say we turn around and take Charles Kelly.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...asp?Coach=1809

He is their ST Coach btw.

vCash
    I just saw where Bruce Feldman tweeted about Collins being a candidate. He is in with the Rebs, so who knows if there is any accuracy in his reports on anything MSU related.

vCash
    We love you too. From recent history our fan base goes into a situation like this with the mentality of it's just a matter of time before one of the "big boys" in college football comes and gets Collins. They have this mentality for good reasons. This is a message board and I get to play like I'm the AD in this situation. Why not change this mentality of your fan base by taking action sooner than later? I know this doesn't guarantee anybody turning down more money for a bigger job, but I say again (this is a message board and I get to play like I'm the AD) it shows that you took the appropriate actions to keep him. Just my opinion. We haven't lost anybody yet.

vCash

I'll never get why our fans feel like they deserve every ounce of information at the first moment that it becomes available. Let Scott do his job.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    So after he fields a defense, full of young athletes, in the top half of the SEC we pay him the lowest salary any SEC defensive coordinator is making. That is still low-balling. He is worth $600K minimum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Croom Diaries View Post
    So after he fields a defense, full of young athletes, in the top half of the SEC we pay him the lowest salary any SEC defensive coordinator is making. That is still low-balling. He is worth $600K minimum.
    He also lives in the lowest standard of living area of the SEC as well. Plus, State gives some other perks that arent in his contract

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Croom Diaries View Post
    Well 500K is a good start although he would still be making less that what OM pays their DC.

vCash
    The biggest problem, in my mind, if Collins leaves, is the realization that MSU would have a glass ceiling as a football program. The realization that MSU can do everything right, hire right, recruit right, and run their business at a higher level than other, but lose all of that because other program can simply steal away our coaches.

How is MSU supposed gain ground and overcome our superiors if we can't hold onto the people that are building MSU the right way. This isn't an MSU vs OM thing, and OM should be just as worried about this type of stuff as MSU. This issue cuts the heart of the program, and ask the question of how MSU fans are supposed to have hope, when doing everything right just causes more established programs to come in and raid your coaching staff.

It's very discouraging.