Thread: Art briles

vCash

Art briles

Is his stock falling with this game? Dumb fake on extra point, 8 first half penalties, and down 8 to a team you're favored by over 2 tds

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is his stock falling with this game? Dumb fake on extra point, 8 first half penalties, and down 8 to a team you're favored by over 2 tds
    Nope...he's perfect for the UT job at this point.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    There's no way I want art briles if I'm texas. I realize he has really good connections in texas, but recruiting shouldn't be an issue no matter who they hire. I'd get a conservative run first, defensive coach and build teams inside (off and def lines out) not pass happy, hurry up offensive minded coach

vCash
    These coaches will realize one day that defense is not something that is optional to play. New era of offenses or not

vCash
    There's no way I want art briles if I'm texas. I realize he has really good connections in texas, but recruiting shouldn't be an issue no matter who they hire. I'd get a conservative run first, defensive coach and build teams inside (off and def lines out) not pass happy, hurry up offensive minded coach
    They play in a league with high flying offenses. Texas high schools are score-happy too. There going to have to be a little flashy on offense.

vCash
    Or go completely opposite with a power run offense that no big 12 defense is geared for. You'll have to gear defense toward spread, but not offense
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-02-2014 at 12:35 AM.

vCash
    Now 16 penalties...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    These coaches will realize one day that defense is not something that is optional to play. New era of offenses or not
    while briles has definitely upped the talent at baylor, they have been successful of late due to offensive schemes, not by being more talented than most of their opponents. it's much easier to scheme your offense around you talent, whereas on D, it's much more difficult to scheme around your talent.

vCash
    Or go completely opposite with a power run offense that no big 12 defense is geared for. You'll have to gear defense toward spread, but not offense
    This is probably what I would recommend but I think a lot of Texas High Schools are running the more "Big 12" type offenses. Maybe get QBs from out of state and load up your other offensive playmakers from in-state?
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    I don't think the extra point mishap was a fake, but a botched snap. I could be misremembering though.

As for the penalties, that game was as sloppy as I think I've seen in a BCS game, between costly penalties and turnovers (first half especially, I dozed off in the second.) Baylor was constantly tugging on receivers jerseys downfield- I don't know if B12 refs are more lax on that or what.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    I don't think the extra point mishap was a fake, but a botched snap. I could be misremembering though.

As for the penalties, that game was as sloppy as I think I've seen in a BCS game, between costly penalties and turnovers (first half especially, I dozed off in the second.) Baylor was constantly tugging on receivers jerseys downfield- I don't know if B12 refs are more lax on that or what.
    I certainly could've missed bad snap. I hope I did.

Baylor's been one of most penalized teams all year.

vCash
    That is how I remember it too.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Correct, it definitely was a botched snap and you could see that on the replay. It's snapped, he tries to spin it so the laces are out and it goes sideways. The holder just grabs it at that point and runs.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Judging any coach on one game is just dumb.

Baylor is a top 15 team.

Re-read that sentence.

Briles got to Baylor in 2009. Before then they had not made it to a bowl since 1994. Since he has arrived, he has gone to 4 straight bowl games and two top 15 finishes.

I swear this 140 character world is going to kill us all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Judging any coach on one game is just dumb.

Baylor is a top 15 team.

Re-read that sentence.

Briles got to Baylor in 2009. Before then they had not made it to a bowl since 1994. Since he has arrived, he has gone to 4 straight bowl games and two top 15 finishes.

I swear this 140 character world is going to kill us all.
    I'm not saying briles isn't a good coach. He is. I just think his style is better suited for teams with less talent and teams with superior talent. Briles is great for Baylor, but I feel texas can do better. If it's fisher, strong, or briles, I'd choose in that order. In fact, I'd choose petrino over briles

vCash
    I'm not saying briles isn't a good coach. He is. I just think his style is better suited for teams with less talent and teams with superior talent. Briles is great for Baylor, but I feel texas can do better. If it's fisher, strong, or briles, I'd choose in that order. In fact, I'd choose petrino over briles
    i'll never understand why a spread hurry up offense is great for mid and low tier talent teams to close the gap with the high tier talent teams, but high tier talent teams shouldn't implement a spread hurry up offense because "they can do better". an elite D and a spread hurry up offense are not mutually exclusive.