Thread: OT: Gerald Berry has died

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

OT: Gerald Berry has died

Sad to know that we won't be seeing him in the Cotton District anymore.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Sad day. Gerald taught my photography class in '94. Interesting character.

vCash
    damn. guy was a local icon. hate to hear that.

vCash
    what is the story with this man? They were talking about him on six-pack, but they didn't go into many details.

vCash
    Who for those of us not in the know.

vCash
    I thought he was dead in Cheers a couple of different times in the early 1990's.

Hate to hear it. Gonna miss the beard and the State hat
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Was he the one that died at the stadium?

vCash
    I doubt he was at the game. he's a local Starkville guy that struggled with a number of ailments, including narcolepsy and presumably alcoholism (my assumption based on stories from others and his continual presence in bars). He was a local photographer and I think he taught a photography class at State at one time. He looked like a guy from ZZ Top with his beard and could be found at various watering holes depending on which bar he was frequenting at the time.

vCash
    I first remember Gerald from Cheers. He would often be passed out at the bar, but it was always cool with the bartender. He was a regular in the Cotton District anywhere Budweiser was served. For those that don't know him by name, he had a long beard and rode a bicycle.

vCash
    I've seen him hundreds of times at Dudy. I do remember him riding a bike. I always thought he was part of the Great full Dead movement. He was a hippie

vCash
    Sad to hear of this. I have known him since I was a freshman and talked with him at our tailgate this year. He never new my name, but always seemed like he knew me. I think he was like that with a lot of people.
    So many stories he was a part of.

vCash
    Is he related to this Hobie Hobart character who I hear too damn much of. That guy is about as annoying as they come. Hear him on radio shows and such. Jim Ellis calls him a pro wrestling announcer.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    He must of stays at Cheers a long time because he was always there for Thursday night penny pitchers in the early 00s.

vCash
    I'm sorry to hear that. Starkville scene won't feel the same without seeing Gerald.

vCash
    Very sad to hear. We used to call him "The man with all the game" because he'd be what we thought was passed out (later learned to be narcoleptic) standing up at Cheers and the women would still be standing there talking to him.

I also remember one time at Flo and Eddie's he said by us and we were talking. He told us the secret to life was just to keep breathing. Small attainable goals. I've carried that advice with me the rest of my life.