Thread: It's high time the local and national media start to acknowledge Mullen's player

Banned
    vCash

It's high time the local and national media start to acknowledge Mullen's player

development skills. He and his staff have done a remarkable job putting unheralded high school kids into the NFL. With these new BMAC rumblings (even though it appears he's gonna stay), his record is starting to get sick. The others I can think of off of my head are Ballard, Slay, Banks, Whitley (who should have a good chance once he recovers) ...the others we've put in the NFL had other legit SEC offers but to take diamonds in the rough and put them into the league says a lot about player development.

have I missed anyone?

I certainly hope these high school players are starting to take notice...

vCash
    I don't remember Chris White nor Cameron Lawrence being highly recruited, and they're both playing on NFL rosters now.

vCash
    The biggest thing about getting high schoolers to take notice is to get them to think long term. Right now most have a hard time thinking past the next Saturday night. That's why a duffel bag full of cash and a blow job from a recruiting hostess works so well. That satisfies their short term attention span and then they are lied to by other staffs saying they can develop them just as well or better than Mullen.

vCash
    Don't know if it's fair to say Whitley was unheralded. If I remember correctly, he was Dandy Dozen and had other options

vCash
    ESPN is in the infantile process of improving their recruiting coverage and evaluation. I believe that they would rather hype coaches and teams who recruit stars rather than a coach who develops under the radar talent. Its the problem with a lot of Americans. They see more value in getting a quick buck that puts them in debt rather than working hard and obtaining the same level of money debt free.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Don't know if it's fair to say Whitley was unheralded. If I remember correctly, he was Dandy Dozen and had other options
    his other options were ole miss and southern miss.. was like the 80th ranked safety.. unheralded indeed..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Nickoe was listed a 3 star by Scout, with offers from MSU, OM, and USM only. They had him listed as the #80 Safety in the country.

vCash
    Wasn't KJ Wright only a 3 star? And although Relf wasn't NFL caliber, the development with him was damn near the best I've ever seen. It's safe to say that Relf wouldn't have started in the SWAC, yet Mullen turned him into a SEC winner at QB. I am still amazed at what Relf became for us.

ETA: Here is KJ's profile. He was a 3 star, but had some decent offers like SC & Aub. Listed as the #45 SLB. A Croom recruit, but really took off under the new regime, so I would count him.

http://mississippistate.scout.com/a....=1&nid=2394195
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 01-01-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    MARLON HUMPHREY!!! don't miss your chance young man.. .. we've proven we can develop you into a 1st round pick; you have TOWNSEND to coach you...what are you waiting for?

vCash
    Mullen's player development has been remarkable. Some of our players would have never made it to the NFL had they gone elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Mullen's player development has been remarkable. Some of our players would have never made it to the NFL had they gone elsewhere.
    Somehow, some way, somebody needs to get this incorporated into the staff's recruiting pitch/presentation. It is essential that this message be presented loud and clear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Nickoe was listed a 3 star by Scout, with offers from MSU, OM, and USM only. They had him listed as the #80 Safety in the country.
    I'm pretty sure Nickoe was a preseason Dandy Dozen but tore up his knee early his senior year. He was actually worried that Mullen wouldn't keep him. I'm sure that left him with us and USM as viable options because OM drops em the second they get hurt.