Thread: OT: Truck tires

vCash

OT: Truck tires

Looking for a little help from people more in the know about tires than myself.

I have a 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with 54k miles. The tires I have now are the same ones in rolled off the line with.

I would say 80% of my driving is on highways and city roads while the other 20% is on dirt and gravel roads at the deer camp. They are fairly well maintained logging roads.

I was looking at all-terrain tires but there are a million options it seems and I'm not sure which brands to gravitate towards and which ones to avoid.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. Size P265/65R18.

Any advice is appreciated.

vCash
    Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, and Yokohama are your best bets as far as quality goes IMO. I've also had good experiences with Toyo.

vCash
    My brother used to own a tire store that I worked during the summers. My favorite brand is BF Goodrich. They have a nice all terrain tire. Stay away from Wal Mart tires. My wife bought me Goodyears from Walmart for my Jeep and I found out they were not really Goodyear tires. Name only.
    Stick with name brand.

vCash
    I bought my truck with Mickey Thompsons on it. they're nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetdawg32 View Post
    Looking for a little help from people more in the know about tires than myself.

I have a 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with 54k miles. The tires I have now are the same ones in rolled off the line with.

I would say 80% of my driving is on highways and city roads while the other 20% is on dirt and gravel roads at the deer camp. They are fairly well maintained logging roads.

I was looking at all-terrain tires but there are a million options it seems and I'm not sure which brands to gravitate towards and which ones to avoid.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. Size P265/65R18.

Any advice is appreciated.
    I was going to recommend the Duelers. When you factor cost in with everything else, those are pretty good. They hold up well.

vCash
    If you want more tread for off-road go Toyo MT. A buddy of mine had a 2010 z71 and got 90,000 out of his set. Ran nitrogen and kept them rotated + front end aligned.

If you want to stay with all-terrains I would go with nitto or toyo. I have a set of nitto terra grapplers on my truck and have been pleased with them.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    I had some Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs on my last truck and they were pretty good. Had them on a 2 wheel drive but could drive in places that would normally require a 4 wheel drive truck. They have nice tread if you will be off road on nasty stuff, but do hum a bit on the interatate. Nothing loud that you won't get used to, but it's somewhat noticeable at first.

They have one series that has a little less agressive tread that may be better for you. I was happy with the Goodyear.

vCash
    Cooper tires.. Made in Tupelo... I have the Discoverer HT's on my SportTrak and Trailblazer. Of course, I don't really do any off road stuff, but they do fine on gravel and maintained "paths".. just wouldn't want to go mud ridin' with 'em.

vCash
    From what I've heard there is a great place in South Panola to get discounted tires. I forget the name off the top of my head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    Cooper tires.. Made in Tupelo... I have the Discoverer HT's on my SportTrak and Trailblazer. Of course, I don't really do any off road stuff, but they do fine on gravel and maintained "paths".. just wouldn't want to go mud ridin' with 'em.
    I second the Coopers. I've got a set of Discoverer AT/3's on my truck. Great tires with good grip, even wear, and a quiet ride. They also have a 55,000 mile warranty vs 50,000 mile warranty other brands offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Where'sWaldo View Post
    From what I've heard there is a great place in South Panola to get discounted tires. I forget the name off the top of my head.
    well played.

vCash
    Cooper bought out Armstrong Tire after Armstrong screwed all it's old employees, even those with retirement benefits. it's not really Coopers fault, but I still hold it against both companies and won't purchase from either.

vCash
    One more recommendation for Cooper. I have a set on all my vehicles including my Toyota 4Runner that is going on 500,000 miles.

vCash
    Is Kevin Fant on the board?

Seriously, General Grabber HTS is the best way to go according to most.

vCash
    Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely helps narrow down the search!

vCash
    You made he purchase yet? I work in a shop of a trucking company and they just said to stay away from non name brand foreign tires.

For very expensive tastes there is a tire out there with Kevlar in it and I thin its wrangler from Goodyear.

I don't have Kevlar tires but my shop lead man swears by the regular wranglers. Which I have.