Thread: I need a gas grill

vCash

I need a gas grill

Any recommendations? Don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

I looked at some $800 Broilmaster stuff.

How about $300...

vCash
    I love my char-broil infrared. It's under $400 I think.

only problem I've had is the automatic start went out, which tends to always happen. it's got a hole in the side for an extension lighter too, so it's not a big deal either way.

vCash
    As myself and the wife Christmas tree shopped at Home Depot, I somehow ended up browsing the grill section. Can't give you any off-top suggestions but there were numerous good looking grills under $400

vCash
    What's different about infrared?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I love my char-broil infrared. It's under $400 I think.

only problem I've had is the automatic start went out, which tends to always happen. it's got a hole in the side for an extension lighter too, so it's not a big deal either way.

Thanks. I picked up one of these today. And as I read the instructions, I really look forward to using it. I think this is going to be better than I anticipated.

Think I might try a rotisserie attachment too.

vCash
    did you get the infrared thing answered?

you can basically quick cook the outside of the meat to lock the juices in. works pretty well. It's a great steak grill. I've got a hot spot on mine. the back left corner is hotter than the rest of the grill and it gets cooler the further to the right you go. learn the hotspots quickly. it'll help you decide how and where to to cook your food. I usually do veggies or other stuff I just want to slow cook on the right while throwing burgers and other quick hitters on the hot spot.

vCash
    Yep.

Have you tried putting wood chips on yours? Carbroil says you can put them directly on the infrared elements (they wavy part).

vCash
    I haven't but I rarely clean out the droppings. get some good smoke off that. just have to watch the fat because it can catch and keep a flame going.

vCash
    I can't decide if I want one of those half gas half charcoal grills or just go full gas setup but get a charcoal smoker. Decisions decisions

vCash
    I think we talked about this in an earlier thread, but you can use wood chunks in a gas grill. The most important things to look at in a grill are #1. the overall constuction and strength of materials. ( I get the part of grills being made out of thin stuff like 20 ga or thinner, mine is mostly cast aluminum with 16ga stainless panels) #2. number and construction of the burners. Mine has heavy cast iron burners in it, but most nowadays have simple thin stainless "pipes" with holes in them. Try to get a grill with at least 3, preferrably four burners or more. I've rebuilt this grill a few times (98 model) but I haven't been able to find one to my satisfaction to replace it. I did see one at Home Depot a while back that would possiblt be a candidate.
    Kinda off topic a little, just before Thanksgiving, my B-i-L bought one of those electric smokers at Lowes for about 169 on sale. I'm knida thinking about getting one of those to cook ribs and stuff in and just use the grill for a "grill".. steaks, burgers, kabobs, and stuff. His Turkey, ribs, and butt have come out pretty nice in it. Set it on the temp you want and set the timer, add wood and water and come get it later.

vCash

vCash
    I cooked twice with mine over the weekend. Fantastic. I love the temperature control and the way it cooks evenly. Best grilled chicken I've ever made.

vCash
    This all useful info, guys. Just happens my 20 yr. old MHP gas grill is just about to die. I've replaced burners twice over the years, but now the support post and other basic structure is really rickety. I'll need to shop for a new one soon. I like some of the options mentioned here- especially the infrared angle.

vCash
    I love the infrared grill. I'll probably replace my four year old one with a new one soon. I always splurge for the side burner and NEVER use it. I think I'm going to get a regular, small gas grill and an old school weber charcoal. I want a green egg imitation, but they're too expensive for me to buy only to use every once in a while. A gas grill is just so easy to use after coming home from work.

I'm a big proponent of croc pot meals and gas grilled meals. very good. very easy.

vCash
    What is a gas grill and why would anyone with testicles cook on one?

vCash
    I have an inexpensive 3 burner unit from Mexico (Charmglow) that I suspect was just under $300 (so perhaps $450 for the 4 burner upgrade?)at HomeDepot 6.5 years ago. It is not rusting anywhere. We use it twice a week all year long. It sits on a partially covered back deck. It can be windy when it rains, so it gets wet but not soaked. I believe that I May have replaced one burner tube.
    Last edited by edbuted; 01-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edbuted View Post
    I have an inexpensive 3 burner unit from Mexico (Charmglow) that I suspect was just under $300 (so perhaps $450 for the 4 burner upgrade?)at HomeDepot 6.5 years ago. It is not rusting anywhere. We use it twice a week all year long. It sits on a partially covered back deck. It can be windy when it rains, so it gets wet but not soaked. I believe that I May have replaced one burner tube.
    that's pretty solid. I've had mine about 4 years now and haven't replaced anything but the batteries in the electric start. don't cover it, and it's not covered. probably get a new one before spring, but may let it last one more season depending on how wet it gets this winter/spring. Also would like a charcoal option so might get the duel set up.

vCash
    Charmglow was the original gas grill that came out around the early to mid 70's. I had a buddy that sold and serviced them. My parents bought one of the first in our area (as well as the Rid -o-ray electric bug zapper)

They are the ones that got me started using gas grills.. My parents got a Ducane after the Charmglow wore out after about 15 years, and it's still in use.