Thread: High School Baseball recruiting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    There's no doubt he's a high end talent and he's gonna become very wealthy, very soon. HS kids are becoming more of a crapshoot. He's very similar to Jacoby Jones(he did go to lsu first) to me. If you compare the way they play and tools they're very close comps and while Jones has had a solid mlb career he's never become a star.
    This is the truth. Only one of the high school guys that we had committed and signed with an MLB team in the last 5 years has made it higher than A ball as of yet and that's James Wood. Blaze Jordan has bounced between A and AA. Heck even Blaze Jordan is probably progressing a little slower than the Red Sox had hoped. And all of this is showing in the draft, most mocks have between only 2-5 high school players going in the 1st round. 10 years ago that number was double. There's just so many misses in the high school ranks and these kids are asking astronomical numbers. I mean if I'm a GM and I have a choice between say Cjintje and say, Cam Camnitti, I would take Jurrangelo. I know what he has done against HIGH level competition for two years. What's Caminiti going to do when he has to face a Charlie Condon or a Braden Montgomery? Add all that into the fact that I do not know how one of these high schoolers is going to react the first time he is shelled.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 05-09-2024 at 01:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is the truth. Only one of the high school guys that we had committed and signed with an MLB team in the last 5 years has made it higher than A ball as of yet and that's James Wood. Blaze Jordan has bounced between A and AA. Heck even Blaze Jordan is probably progressing a little slower than the Red Sox had hoped. And all of this is showing in the draft, most mocks have between only 2-5 high school players going in the 1st round. 10 years ago that number was double. There's just so many misses in the high school ranks and these kids are asking astronomical numbers. I mean if I'm a GM and I have a choice between say Cjintje and say, Cam Camnitti, I would take Jurrangelo. I know what he has done against HIGH level competition for two years. What's Caminiti going to do when he has to face a Charlie Condon or a Braden Montgomery? Add all that into the fact that I do not know how one of these high schoolers is going to react the first time he is shelled.
    For so long the thinking was to draft the best hs players(that was my thinking too), and put in your farm system and develop them, because college baseball was considered less than even rookie ball. That has changed in the 21st century, the kids go to college are more developed, more mature and have faced excellent competition, especially in the sec. I also know that so many hs kids drafted with big bonuses and have all this money for the first time and away from mom and dad have squandered the money and the talent. Not saying that can't happen with college players but they are older and more mature(hopefully, lol). Times change.