Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Lemonis Thoughts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    No- this was the excuse some of our baseball fans make because they were naive enough to think we were going to pull some top flight HC to come to StarkVegas. Thats just not going to happen no matter who the AD is
    That's what our leader said he was doing. I'll admit that I was naive and believed Cohen that had many Top, Omaha Experieced, and Elite coaches ready for the job. I thought he was picking from many top candidates.

I remember us arguing if we wanted Schloss, Tadlock, McD, Bobby Cox, O'Connor, Joe Madden, or Corbin more. As though these were the candidates. Preacherdog had Tadlock as his avatar all spring. I was team Schloss with McD being my acceptable #2. I thought Schloss was more glamorous but McD would hurt Ole Miss more. I am joking about Madden and Cox but I remember us talking about every possible glamorous coach.

When Lemonis was announced, we-the-naive were blindsided. I had to look up if Lemonis was the Indiana coach we faced in the 2013 CWS.

From what Todd said, Cohen should have just hired Gary Henderson and paid Vitello to be the coach-in-waiting. Yelp, I am being the backseat driver with the benefit of future results already known. Cohen could have gotten GH the best assistants in College Baseball and told GH, he would retire by 2020.

vCash
    No- this was the excuse some of our baseball fans make because they were naive enough to think we were going to pull some top flight HC to come to StarkVegas. Thats just not going to happen no matter who the AD is
    Having some fun here coach, but I read this as you admitting Lemonis is not some top flight HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Having some fun here coach, but I read this as you admitting Lemonis is not some top flight HC.
    Honestly I dont. Some of the decisions we make drive me nuts- like pitching Davis on Saturday. Bringing him in after Auger on Sunday could have kept us in the game and given us that sweep chance. But I believed 100% he deserved this year because of the Natty. But my stance is clear- we miss a Regional next year? You're fired. 3 out of 4 doesnt cut it. I think we have some solid pieces for next year but we will be inexperienced. Need some good portal pieces and proper development for 25
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Honestly I dont. Some of the decisions we make drive me nuts- like pitching Davis on Saturday. Bringing him in after Auger on Sunday could have kept us in the game and given us that sweep chance. But I believed 100% he deserved this year because of the Natty. But my stance is clear- we miss a Regional next year? You're fired. 3 out of 4 doesnt cut it. I think we have some solid pieces for next year but we will be inexperienced. Need some good portal pieces and proper development for 25
    Good points.
    That is why I just don't trust him to build the pieces in the portal for next season.
    Lemonis is living well right now with the help in the Auburn series, 2 short games that helped our pitching, and we still needed Hines bailing us out. Bama with players sick on Saturday and they were still hitting Loo pretty well without starters.

Is there a scenario in regionals you see Lemonis being fired this year?
    Last edited by Santiago; 05-06-2024 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    Good points.
    That is why I just don't trust him to build the pieces in the portal for next season.
    Lemonis is living well right now with the help in the Auburn series, 2 short games that helped our pitching, and we still needed Hines bailing us out. Bama with players sick on Saturday and they were still hitting Loo pretty well without starters.

By your statement he's living well now, but doesn't that just even out the BS losses we took because of bad umps at A&M and the review and suspension fiasco against UGA? Outside forces essentially cost us two games. Baseball is a long season. You don't get to discount wins or justify loses because "shit happens". It's just another part of the game. All these things you point to trying to downplay wins is just baseball.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Good points.

He's safe out of all likelihood. The only thing that would throw doubt into that would be struggling to close out the year and then going 0-2 in a road regional where you don't look competitive in either game. Again, barring a collapse though, he's safe and will get 25. But again, 25 is going to be a lot like this year. If he flops, he's fired. I know this sounds crazy, but if I'm Lemonis I 'm keeping my ears to the ground to see if a mid tier ACC job would open up and I'm politicking hard for it. If I was a coach, I just would hate being basically on a year to year contract. I don't know how you're supposed to effectively recruit off that. Not saying we're wrong for the expectations or he's wrong for wanting a little more leeway. I just think he's backed himself into a corner and he's at the end of a talent cycle. He's either going to have to kill it in the portal, which he is capable of, or go on a run to at least the Supers this year.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 05-06-2024 at 01:08 PM.

vCash
    Good points.

outside of getting caught molesting a goat I believe he will be back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    By your statement he's living well now, but doesn't that just even out the BS losses we took because of bad umps at A&M and the review and suspension fiasco against UGA? Outside forces essentially cost us two games. Baseball is a long season. You don't get to discount wins or justify loses because "shit happens". It's just another part of the game. All these things you point to trying to downplay wins is just baseball.
    At A&M, other than Hines and Jordan , we did not hit very well. Umps did not cause us to have so many swing and misses.
    But a team having food poisoning is alot different than blaming an umpire for us not hitting.

The season does balance out to the law of averages. We are having a nice streak, with some help. We also seem to go with how Hines goes right now.
    Edit: need Jordan and Hines this coming weekend against Arkansas. We can take 2 from them if we just hit a little, and don't have little league base running.
    Last edited by Santiago; 05-06-2024 at 01:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    That's what our leader said he was doing. I'll admit that I was naive and believed Cohen that had many Top, Omaha Experieced, and Elite coaches ready for the job. I thought he was picking from many top candidates.

I remember us arguing if we wanted Schloss, Tadlock, McD, Bobby Cox, O'Connor, Joe Madden, or Corbin more. As though these were the candidates. Preacherdog had Tadlock as his avatar all spring. I was team Schloss with McD being my acceptable #2. I thought Schloss was more glamorous but McD would hurt Ole Miss more. I am joking about Madden and Cox but I remember us talking about every possible glamorous coach.

When Lemonis was announced, we-the-naive were blindsided. I had to look up if Lemonis was the Indiana coach we faced in the 2013 CWS.

From what Todd said, Cohen should have just hired Gary Henderson and paid Vitello to be the coach-in-waiting. Yelp, I am being the backseat driver with the benefit of future results already known. Cohen could have gotten GH the best assistants in College Baseball and told GH, he would retire by 2020.

The main issue there is that Vitello was hired at Tennessee in 2017 so we would've had to pull a sitting HC from an SEC school to be a HC in waiting. Somehow I don't think he would have gone for that. Cohen should've just hired Vitello when he hired Cann. They're the same person except Vitello is single so he can do all the stuff Cann did and no one can say anything.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 05-06-2024 at 01:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Parker is a very good coach but I don't understand people saying Parker has "done more with less" Parker said before the season started this was the most pitching talent he had ever had. The way I see it this year's pitching results are what they should have always been, he hasn't overachieved, it just feels that way because we were sooooo bad. He's gotten us back on track.

I have zero issues with Parker he's done a good job. Dohm hurt, Loftin hurt, Holcombe is MIA. Thats probably 3 of the top 5 arms gone.
    I don't see how you can NOT say he has done more with less. We have the second best ERA in conference only games and that's with no Dohm, no Loftin, almost no contribution from Holcomb and Ligon has made very little contribution as well. So Parker has jumped us from 14th to 2nd with the only real portal contribution coming from Stephen. The rest is last year's staff that stunk plus a couple of signees. If he isn't worthy of assistant coach of the year then I don't know who is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I don't see how you can NOT say he has done more with less. We have the second best ERA in conference only games and that's with no Dohm, no Loftin, almost no contribution from Holcomb and Ligon has made very little contribution as well. So Parker has jumped us from 14th to 2nd with the only real portal contribution coming from Stephen. The rest is last year's staff that stunk plus a couple of signees. If he isn't worthy of assistant coach of the year then I don't know who is?
    Because we have a very talented pitching staff. We dont lack talent. Overcoming injuries tho is a huge plus. Losing Dohm, Simmons, and Loftin is why he should be Asst of the year

vCash
    Because we have a very talented pitching staff. We dont lack talent. Overcoming injuries tho is a huge plus. Losing Dohm, Simmons, and Loftin is why he should be Asst of the year
    He is on a big school HC trajectory if he does this another 2 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I guess the point I'm making is we were never really 14th from a talent perspective, which makes Fox even worse.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    I guess the point I'm making is we were never really 14th from a talent perspective, which makes Fox even worse.
    altho he doesnt do the PC role at Auburn- it is kinda funny that they have taken a nosedive as soon as he gets on staff

vCash
    altho he doesnt do the PC role at Auburn- it is kinda funny that they have taken a nosedive as soon as he gets on staff
    There's definitely some influence there. I imagine there could be a lot of conflicting philosophies going on knowing how Butch was at least when he was here at MSU.

vCash
    Butch went from golden child for State baseball fans to

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    There's definitely some influence there. I imagine there could be a lot of conflicting philosophies going on knowing how Butch was at least when he was here at MSU.
    Wasn't Butch, at MSU, "throw it in the bucket" for a location type. And Fox is not that for sure.

vCash
    outside of getting caught molesting a goat I believe he will be back
    I do hope we take 2 from Arkansas up there. Talk about building fan base support, that would be great up there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I kinda got the impression no Elite coach wanted to work for Cohen is why we have Lemonis.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

vCash
    Well I will agree we were never 14th but I'm still not convinced we are even top half of the league now with the guys we have that are actually pitching. We certainly aren't anywhere close to 2nd.