Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

vCash

Question

With today?s game being huge. Big difference in 3-0 and 2-1. We know
    Auger is very inconsistent. With plenty of arms ready for today , why not have couple of guys already warm in the bull pen in case Auger went to shit. It was clear early the he didn?t have IT. And once again terrible baserunning rears its ugly head. Sometimes it looks like we just don?t care.

vCash
    If you warm up guys and don't have to use them and then they sit because a guys pitching well then they're burned. You can't keep getting them up and down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    If you warm up guys and don't have to use them and then they sit because a guys pitching well then they're burned. You can't keep getting them up and down.
    I hear ya buttttttttttttttttt......

We know he isnt going more than 65 pitches. When 2 guys get on- we need to be moving
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I hear ya buttttttttttttttttt......

We know he isnt going more than 65 pitches. When 2 guys get on- we need to be moving
    I agree but you can't have guys warming up at the beginning of the game. You're killing arms that way. But yes first sign of trouble get em up and get ready to pull the plug if 2 reach

vCash
    I never understand why on a Sunday that anyone who has a chance of pitching is not already sitting in the bullpen and not in the dugout.

vCash
    we really used only 3 arms the first 2 games of the series. And then we totally negated that advantage by not having guys ready to go in the 2nd and extending Cheatum too long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    we really used only 3 arms the first 2 games of the series. And then we totally negated that advantage by not having guys ready to go in the 2nd and extending Cheatum too long.
    With the way auger was missing so bad his command was way off yeah we should've had someone ready in the second.

vCash
    I agree but you can't have guys warming up at the beginning of the game. You're killing arms that way. But yes first sign of trouble get em up and get ready to pull the plug if 2 reach
    no doubt- I just thought we dragged a little
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    no doubt- I just thought we dragged a little
    Oh yeah I 100% agree on that. Auger was way off today from the get go.

vCash
    I thought Auger looked real good against Vanderbilt but was off today. I?m going to lean towards that he was having an off game. I think he will look more like he did against Vandy that what we saw today.

vCash
    I hear what you are saying. But on a day like today,when the sweep was so big, and we had plenty of arms available, if we burnt one or two it would have been worth it. But by the time we got off our ass we were in a big hole. Couple that with our signature stupid base running we shit the bed. We could have had a 3 game bump instead of a 1 game bump. There again our Coaches aren’t proactive but slow reactive.

vCash
    Well one thing for sure going forward, every game is important, we all want to host a regional. Today that second inning cost us but also Kolher has an error late in game and we could have gotten out of the inning giving us a much better chance.
    But yes on base running, we got tostopgiving outs especially this weekend against Arkansas. It’s hard beating good teams with mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    I hear what you are saying. But on a day like today,when the sweep was so big, and we had plenty of arms available, if we burnt one or two it would have been worth it. But by the time we got off our ass we were in a big hole. Couple that with our signature stupid base running we shit the bed. We could have had a 3 game bump instead of a 1 game bump. There again our Coaches aren?t proactive but slow reactive.
    They could've made the move to get Auger and Cheatham out quicker without burning up arms in the pen. I believe Parker has earned the benefit of the doubt though. He may have felt Auger could get through it. Sometimes coaches don't get pitchers out soon enough. You won't find any coaches who favor burning arms warming up in the pen

vCash
    CC is right about this. No one gets their bullpen up the first batter of the game.

Let's put it this way- we're probably carrying I'd guess 13 pitchers at most on a SEC weekend. Take out the starter in the game and the other two and you are down to 10 pitchers. I'm not going to even get into the fact that there could be any number of relief pitchers who may be unavailable but let's assume we're at 10. So if "things go to shit" all of a sudden you are relying on guys that are used to going 1-2 innings at a time and that's assuming none of them "go to shit". By the end of the game you are down to pretty close to zero pitchers and if it's extra innings we're screwed assuming we don't run out before the game is over and then we have a thread titled on here "Who the hell gets their bullpen up in the first inning anyway?"

The fact of the matter is even with bullpen games and relievers used more than ever you still need some volume in innings eaten somewhere. No one gets the bullpen up in the first inning unless it is a true bullpen game and planned out ahead of time. That's not the case with us.

The reality is this- Auger is a relief pitcher and that is his best role. And yes, he pitched well against Vanderbilt as a starter. If Pico or Dohm were 100% healthy they would be the third starter. Pico looks pretty close so I highly suspect that he will start against Arkansas and the main reason is because he is more likely even in a rehab situation to go deeper in the game than Auger. If Auger is not landing his slider he is toast. Starter or reliever. Even stretched out I'm not sure he can go beyond 65 pitches anyway.

vCash
    Also it's the FIRST inning. We had 8 innings to overcome the four runs he allowed and technically we did that. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot with errors in the field and basepaths.

Not to mention like CC said you can't just keep getting pitcher up and down the whole game. That has actually been blamed for arm injuries in baseball in the past.

vCash
    They could've made the move to get Auger and Cheatham out quicker without burning up arms in the pen. I believe Parker has earned the benefit of the doubt though. He may have felt Auger could get through it. Sometimes coaches don't get pitchers out soon enough. You won't find any coaches who favor burning arms warming up in the pen
    They also didn't want to use Schulke because they had a ton of LH hitters. Which I do not blame them at all. But that makes it more difficult for us if he can't give us at least 2 innings or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Also it's the FIRST inning. We had 8 innings to overcome the four runs he allowed and technically we did that. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot with errors in the field and basepaths.

Not to mention like CC said you can't just keep getting pitcher up and down the whole game. That has actually been blamed for arm injuries in baseball in the past.
    This, it's not a video game, these are real live people with arms and bodies to be taken care of. There are many stories of arm injuries from repeatedly getting up and down in the pen. It's the main reason it's not done anymore. The bullpen actually didn't do a bad job but as you said the errors and baserunning blunders wiped it out. Parker has done such a great job handling this staff and putting together a pretty dang good bullpen with pitchers that scared the crap out of us when they pitched last year. I trust his judgement today it just didn't work out.

vCash
    This, it's not a video game, these are real live people with arms and bodies to be taken care of. There are many stories of arm injuries from repeatedly getting up and down in the pen. It's the main reason it's not done anymore. The bullpen actually didn't do a bad job but as you said the errors and baserunning blunders wiped it out. Parker has done such a great job handling this staff and putting together a pretty dang good bullpen with pitchers that scared the crap out of us when they pitched last year. I trust his judgement today it just didn't work out.
    It's very difficult to manage a staff in the SEC with only two starters. Auger is really an opener basically. I think having Pico in the rotation will help us out a lot the last two weeks.

There's a chance we get Dohm back- but if he doesn't pitch against North Alabama I'm pretty sure he won't be back at all. Speaking of Dohm- Parker has done all of this without a guy who was supposed to be our ace. When the same thing happened in 2022 we saw what happened to the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's very difficult to manage a staff in the SEC with only two starters. Auger is really an opener basically. I think having Pico in the rotation will help us out a lot the last two weeks.

There's a chance we get Dohm back- but if he doesn't pitch against North Alabama I'm pretty sure he won't be back at all. Speaking of Dohm- Parker has done all of this without a guy who was supposed to be our ace. When the same thing happened in 2022 we saw what happened to the team.
    Exactly

vCash
    Is it just me...

Game-1 left MSU with many fresh arms. Used no LHP.

Game-2 left MSU with many fresh arms, Used one LHP for 2 innings (Davis)

Game-3, with fresh arms, the 1st from the pen is a Cole Cheatham and then Luke Dotson. These are guys MSU did not even use versus Samford. They gave up 4 runs. Unless you have proven LHP like Davis, I think you just stick with your best performing guys.

Stevens has officially regressed to emergency use only. Since the USM game when Stevens was the star and Ligon was shelled. The performance has 100% flipped between the two players.

I hope Pico is now a weekend player. Can't burn a big arm versus North Alabama, if that game is played.