Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charlie Winfield, pls get Trazarien White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It was Youngstown but I get what you're saying. I mean here's the thing: does it need regulating? Absolutely. It's wildly out of control. But you can either do nothing, sit back and bitch and moan about it not being regulated, and get killed. Or you can use the rules as they are currently written to your advantage, still complain about it and say it needs to be fixed, and still field a good team. We have too many fans who want to do the former and not the latter. Ole Miss is doing the latter and it is why they are exceeding in the portal in every sport.
    Youngstown! Ha yes. And still pathetic. The problem with this is MSU is in worse shape under NIL rules than pre-nil, imo. Mullen showed us we could be somewhat successful under those old rules. With the difference in the amount of money that can be raised at each school in the SEC, I don’t see how we will ever compete. It all comes down to money now, and whether you like it or not, we are at the low end of the totem pole. We needs tons of money just keep our head above water, much less compete. And as far as OM, I feel they are putting a lot of eggs in one basket for this year. This year is there opportunity. Maybe they can sustain what they are doing money wise, but I have my doubts. If they can, I guess they have deeper pockets than us. Not sure what’s on Kiffen’s mind either. Maybe he’s looking for a big season and a blue blood comes knocking. Or he may be happy. But I’ll give him credit, he’s got them emptying their pockets for him.
    Edit: and I’m not saying do nothing. I’m just not sure our “something” will ever be enough with what’s the going rate for these players now a days.
    Last edited by Bdawg; 05-09-2024 at 09:56 AM.

vCash
    We still have to be a developmental program because we cant portal like many of the top teams.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Youngstown! Ha yes. And still pathetic. The problem with this is MSU is in worse shape under NIL rules than pre-nil, imo. Mullen showed us we could be somewhat successful under those old rules. With the difference in the amount of money that can be raised at each school in the SEC, I don’t see how we will ever compete. It all comes down to money now, and whether you like it or not, we are at the low end of the totem pole. We needs tons of money just keep our head above water, much less compete. And as far as OM, I feel they are putting a lot of eggs in one basket for this year. This year is there opportunity. Maybe they can sustain what they are doing money wise, but I have my doubts. If they can, I guess they have deeper pockets than us. Not sure what’s on Kiffen’s mind either. Maybe he’s looking for a big season and a blue blood comes knocking. Or he may be happy. But I’ll give him credit, he’s got them emptying their pockets for him.
    Edit: and I’m not saying do nothing. I’m just not sure our “something” will ever be enough with what’s the going rate for these players now a days.
    We're not in as bad an NIL situation as some people want to believe. We can compete. Our something is enough to compete. It just took us longer than others to get our NIL shit together. First we had a coach and an AD that didn't want to embrace it til the end (see Malik Nabors calling trying to transfer and Spurrier hanging up on him) and then we had a meathead who had never coached offense meddling with the offense when we finally had it together on the AD end. We finally have an AD and a coach who want to embrace it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We still have to be a developmental program because we cant portal like many of the top teams.
    I agree but can you really even develop anymore with open transfer rule? Heck you think you got a good one coming, then he can up and leave for more money. But maybe it’s easier to hang on to them if they sign with us out of high school.
    Last edited by Bdawg; 05-09-2024 at 10:11 AM.

vCash
    We're not in as bad an NIL situation as some people want to believe. We can compete. Our something is enough to compete. It just took us longer than others to get our NIL shit together. First we had a coach and an AD that didn't want to embrace it til the end (see Malik Nabors calling trying to transfer and Spurrier hanging up on him) and then we had a meathead who had never coached offense meddling with the offense when we finally had it together on the AD end. We finally have an AD and a coach who want to embrace it.
    It may not be bad, but I sure don’t want to go head to head with other schools in the SEC for a player

vCash
    Business may be about to pick up........a former Gator just became available once again.

vCash
    Business may be about to pick up........a former Gator just became available once again.
    Kansas was way over paying him. He's not worth anywhere near what they were planning on giving him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Kansas was way over paying him. He's not worth anywhere near what they were planning on giving him.
    Did Kansas reconsider or what?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Did Kansas reconsider or what?
    Word is he can't get in school there.

vCash
    Word is he can't get in school there.
    Is there any mutual interest?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is there any mutual interest?
    Definitely mutual interest. We would make room.

vCash
    Definitely mutual interest. We would make room.
    Maybe 3rd times a charm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    How do you develop Freshmen & Soph's which are now being paid to stay on the bench a year or two? Think they will be happy when you bring in a portal player to play their spot in either year? And if the player does develop and have a breakout year for us, pay up again or he probably gets poached for bigger $ by a Blue Blood as has already happened to us. How may portal players have we gotten from a fellow SEC program that as been a success vs. our better players going to a SEC competitor to date? $ will probably come before the few MS players who grew up wanting to play for any college program, us included. Look at the 4 star Winona LB with his brother on our roster who committed to AU last week. "Development" may mean taking dissatisfied players who sat on the Big Boys' bench and want playing time or a "star" found from a lower level of college football. This is the challenge in the NIL/Portal world as it stands right now.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 05-11-2024 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    It’s absolutely ridiculous! Football and basketball still trying to get millions for just a few new players. And I don’t know what this means for the Yorktown DLman we just got. Freaking Yorktown!! This is pathetic. College game is just ruined for now. This crap needs regulating fast.
    What I hate the most is that the bill got passed to the fans. Now we have to donate even more to pay and compete and when it is not enough it is because WE did not raise enough money. Pisses me off.

vCash
    Visit was cancelled. Texas Tech got in and muddied the waters as well as Kansas St. We're probably set with the UGA kid at forward. Now we're chasing one more big. We're hard after the Vandy transfer Lubin. Also are pursuing a UK transfer and one more guy. It's not the Samford guy. I know that much.
    Vandy transfer has a huge huge asking price. So......

vCash
    Vandy transfer has a huge huge asking price. So......
    Partly because we were the ones who made a huge offer to get him to enter the portal.

vCash
    Partly because we were the ones who made a huge offer to get him to enter the portal.
    Well apparently it wasn't enough. Stakes have gone up.

vCash
    Doesn't matter if we tampered to get him in the portal, when a program like UNC comes calling, they're gonna listen. If UNC really wants him, we won't be getting him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Doesn't matter if we tampered to get him in the portal, when a program like UNC comes calling, they're gonna listen. If UNC really wants him, we won't be getting him
    This.