Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mississippi State Baseball Expectations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Q literally posted that the last 10 years should pretty much be that standard

We are not a bubble team currently. Strong 2 seed. Florida and Bama are the bubble teams currently
    In no world is our unranked #40 RPI #44 SOS team a "strong 2 seed" lol you are living in fantasy land

But again, in almost every metric you want to look at we have top 16 resources. You yourself claim we have a ton of MLB talent. Where is the equivalent performance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Let's see where we finish, because we have won only 1 series against an NCAA regional team.
    But also, those midweek losses, and series losses early season do count also as a disappointment.
    We had to pitch our weekend pitchers to hang on against Memphis.

Need some wins at Vandy, Arky, and with Bama.
    Candy escaped Tuesday with a 5-4 win over Tennessee-Martin. It's baseball.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Let's see where we finish, because we have won only 1 series against an NCAA regional team.
    But also, those midweek losses, and series losses early season do count also as a disappointment.
    We had to pitch our weekend pitchers to hang on against Memphis.

Need some wins at Vandy, Arky, and with Bama.
    And I think all anyone has really said is that the only way to evaluate this is going to be based on the end of season results. That's still a fact today.
    As C34 has said, Lemonis' job is on the line this season. We know it. He knows it. We are quibbling about semantics for the most part. Fact is he really got a pass for '22 due to injuries and his work from '19-'21 resulting in a Natty. '23 put him on the "win or you're gone" path for '24. I think that tells us that 1) Our administration views our standard as being "make the post season"; and 2) They are also willing to consider the realities of the situation when making decisions (which most fans are not).
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    In no world is our unranked #40 RPI #44 SOS team a "strong 2 seed" lol you are living in fantasy land

But again, in almost every metric you want to look at we have top 16 resources. You yourself claim we have a ton of MLB talent. Where is the equivalent performance?
    You can spout "Top 16 resources" all you want but in today's college baseball we are no different than a bunch of teams

In the SEC- it's LSU by themselves- then Candy. After that, the next group of teams are interchangable. State, Mississippi, SC, UPig, Tennessee, A&M, Florida...then we can go to the ACC and Big 12 for a few teams to throw in that group as well. We are a Top 20 program but that 20 is actually about 30-35 teams now

vCash
    Only thing you and I can completely agree on is that 1 off wins or losses should be ignored in favor of the whole picture. That's why our #40 RPI and overall terrible non con need to be be looked at too. But you just care about SEC, which by the way... so far we've beaten a terrible LSU team, a terrible Auburn team, a good UGA team, and lost to a great A&M, a mediocre at best UF, and a bad OM team. By no metrics can you say this teams SEC performance is that of a team with the talent you say we have

vCash
    Every projection put out right now has us as a strong 2. The fantasy is all you hoping Lemon fails

vCash
    They pitched some freshman in the game too. Something we can't do.
    I get it though, the midweeks are tough....They were throwing freshmen in the last 3-4 innings, where we were bringing in our weekend closers to try and win.
    We don't have freshmen like that.
    That is where we are and where Vandy is at.
    Last edited by Santiago; 04-25-2024 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    You yourself claim we have a ton of MLB talent. Where is the equivalent performance?
    Welllllllll let's see:

Jordan? Doing pretty well
    Hines? down year but he isnt terrible by any means
    Mershon? Dirtbag is hitting .343 and has been great defensively
    Hugesak? Hitting .326 and around .340 in SEC play. Really good in CF also
    Stephen? One of the SEC's best SP's
    Caribbean Jerk? Been pretty good as well
    Dohm? Was throwing great until injured

Those are just the definite draft picks

vCash
    You can spout "Top 16 resources" all you want but in today's college baseball we are no different than a bunch of teams

In the SEC- it's LSU by themselves- then Candy. After that, the next group of teams are interchangable. State, Mississippi, SC, UPig, Tennessee, A&M, Florida...then we can go to the ACC and Big 12 for a few teams to throw in that group as well. We are a Top 20 program but that 20 is actually about 30-35 teams now
    That is absolutely pure bullshit. You can't take a bunch of top 15/top 10 numbers, average them up, and then get "Were actually tied for 20th with 35 other teams" lol

But let's say we arent a top 16 program. Ok. You yourself have said we have top 5 MLB talent regarding the draft this year. so were the results that match our talent? We should be a top 16 team this year per your own evaluation of our talent, even if you don't think that's sustainable moving forward. We're underperforming our talent level per you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That 10 stretch was without a doubt the most successful in program history. I think it also spoiled the fanbase. We are a program that gets to Omaha once every 4-6 years. Making the tournament and hosting every other year should be the standard. Making Omaha 4 times in a 10 year stretch and 3 straight years is not our historical norm.
    I'll say it again - 5 hosts, 5 regional wins, 3 Omahas each decade should be our minimum standard. We exceeded that a bit from 2011-21. In the modern world with NIL and the portal, there's no excuse not to hit that standard or at least get close to it for our program.

I don't care that we didn't get there "historically." I'm talking about the future. I wouldn't necessarily fire a coach who fell a little short either but over rolling time, that should be an average decade.
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 04-25-2024 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    Welllllllll let's see:

Jordan? Doing pretty well
    Hines? down year but he isnt terrible by any means
    Mershon? Dirtbag is hitting .343 and has been great defensively
    Hugesak? Hitting .326 and around .340 in SEC play. Really good in CF also
    Stephen? One of the SEC's best SP's
    Caribbean Jerk? Been pretty good as well
    Dohm? Was throwing great until injured

Those are just the definite draft picks
    Exactly! So where's our top 10 team? You can't claim we have great talent, then look at our unranked #40 RPI team and say "Lemo is doing a good job".

Either we have not top 40 talent and Lemo is coaching them well, or we have a lot of talent and Lemo is underperforming.

vCash
    That is absolutely pure bullshit. You can't take a bunch of top 15/top 10 numbers, average them up, and then get "Were actually tied for 20th with 35 other teams" lol
    You're delusional if you think State has some big advantage over the teams I named

vCash
    Every projection put out right now has us as a strong 2. The fantasy is all you hoping Lemon fails
    I'm not "Hoping" Leminizick fails, he already has failed. I'm hoping we acknowledge that fact and move on from him before he wastes next season too

You're the one who's very pleased with our program and hopes to keep the same results

vCash
    Note that many posters have said that we should be playing in the Supers every other year or so. That's basically the same thing as I'm suggesting.

vCash
    You're delusional if you think State has some big advantage over the teams I named
    1) so please, tell me where I'm wrong? Do we not have top facilities? Is our Coaching pay not good? Is our NIL way worse than I described? Break the math down for me and tell me where my math is wrong.

2) say we aren't that good. Well, your yourself say our talent is really really good. So even if we can't expect to be too 16 moving forward, we should be really good this year, right? Yet we're unranked and have an awful RPI and lost to bad UF and OM teams. So even if you want to give credit to Lemo for making our talent level be better than it should be, you also have to admit he's underperformed with that talent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Note that many posters have said that we should be playing in the Supers every other year or so. That's basically the same thing as I'm suggesting.
    C34 himself said we should make a regional every year and the Supers every 3rd year or so. But he wants us to believe being a 2 seed is some great success from Lemo and proves us doubters wrong

vCash
    It?s not ?that?s just baseball? when it keeps happening

Air Force, Austin Peay, Georgia Southern, South Ala., Central Arkansas. 6 out of conference losses between these powerhouse teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    It?s not ?that?s just baseball? when it keeps happening

Air Force, Austin Peay, Georgia Southern, South Ala., Central Arkansas. 6 out of conference losses between these powerhouse teams.
    And Vandy was throwing freshmen in the later innings of their game....using the midweek to develop players.

vCash
    1) so please, tell me where I'm wrong? Do we not have top facilities? Is our Coaching pay not good? Is our NIL way worse than I described? Break the math down for me and tell me where my math is wrong.

2) say we aren't that good. Well, your yourself say our talent is really really good. So even if we can't expect to be too 16 moving forward, we should be really good this year, right? Yet we're unranked and have an awful RPI and lost to bad UF and OM teams. So even if you want to give credit to Lemo for making our talent level be better than it should be, you also have to admit he's underperformed with that talent
    1- The rest of the SEC sans maybe Mizzou and Kentucky has those things as well. Tenn pays their coach more than we pay ours. Bama built a new stadium also. Kids want to play in places like SC and Fla over Mississippi more times than not. Hell, Wake Forest is pulling top guys because of their pitching lab and such. A&M has more money and they arent afraid to spend it. We are grouped right there with probably 30 teams now. It's not the 1900's anymore

2- the season isnt over. We are still playing. I mean- if we dont lose Dohm we are probably 13-5 in the SEC right now. That was a huge loss for us. We are tied for 5th in the SEC and lost our #1 SP. That's overachieving. Take Cags off Fla or Smith off UPig and they would drop back some as well

vCash

1) These kids DO NOT care about the stadium. Our fans care about it way more than the players do, especially in the NIL world. And I hate to tell y'all but our coach isn't cool and just like football these kids want to go play for the perceived cool programs and cool coaches. Right now that is LSU as a program and Tennessee with the coach.

2) Our talent is good. You're blind if you can't see that. But so is everyone else's. Like others have said, this isn't 1990 where 2 programs cared about baseball. Hell, this isn't even 2013, where 8 programs cared about it. There are 12 teams, about to be 13, in this conference that care about baseball and want to succeed at it. The only teams you could argue don't give a rip are Missouri and Alabama/UGA on a given year they suck. And hell, even Georgia has the consensus number 1 pick.