Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Can't Coach 3B anymore, C'Mon

vCash

Cheese Can't Coach 3B anymore, C'Mon

Lemons better go coach 3rd. Or any local 3rd-grader, Little Leaguer in Starkville can coach better base-running than Cheese.

Glad for the Sweep.

vCash
    geez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    geez
    Indeed!

vCash
    What did I miss Cheese doing today?

He literally wasn’t a factor for Downs or Larry
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    What did I miss Cheese doing today?

He literally wasn?t a factor for Downs or Larry
    Yeah downs was 100% on him and then some. Larry if he doesn't break for home they turn a double play and the inning is over by him getting the throw him it actually gave us another chance to win the game with Dakota at second(didn't happen but it gave us another shot) and that certainly wasn't on cheese.

I guarantee you the last thing downs heard from cheese was don't get picked!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah downs was 100% on him and then some. Larry if he doesn't break for home they turn a double play and the inning is over by him getting the throw him it actually gave us another chance to win the game with Dakota at second(didn't happen but it gave us another shot) and that certainly wasn't on cheese.

I guarantee you the last thing downs heard from cheese was don't get picked!
    Looking at the play, the Auburn kid should have gone for two regardless. But his look at 3rd was an instinctual delay for the DP. Maybe he was scared of skinny Hunter beating the throw to first.

It was an Auburn error before it was a MSU base running error. But still a mistake, just good fortune the Auburn kid was frazzled. Finally got lucky the other guys messed up more.

With a person already in scoring position what is the point of bunting with 9 hole coming up. Don't know if Cheese makes that bunt call but downs only value as a PR is to score on a hit. Which you should from 2nd without Ricky Henderson as the PR. Even Sid Bream on two busted knees could do it.

Happy with the W but these are the little things that cost Ws. 3 already this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Looking at the play, the Auburn kid should have gone for two regardless. But his look at 3rd was an instinctual delay for the DP. Maybe he was scared of skinny Hunter beating the throw to first.

It was an Auburn error before it was a MSU base running error. But still a mistake, just good fortune the Auburn kid was frazzled. Finally got lucky the other guys messed up more.

With a person already in scoring position what is the point of bunting with 9 hole coming up. Don't know if Cheese makes that bunt call but downs only value as a PR is to score on a hit. Which you should from 2nd without Ricky Henderson as the PR. Even Sid Bream on two busted knees could do it.

Happy with the W but these are the little things that cost Ws. 3 already this year.
    I agree on Auburn pitcher thought when Hines . first hit it double play.

The pickoff was all on downs. Remember they had a pitching change right after the Kohler double and Lemonis and cheese were talking to pulliam and downs the whole time the kid was warming up telling them what was going down. You never repeat never anticipate a bunt getting down. They are all trained to first make sure the ball is bunted and second make sure it's not pooped up before going. The ball has to be bunted on the ground before you break. Downs anticipated the bunt going down and went to far. Stupid base running mistake by him. Never anticipate the bunt getting down. You wind up picked or doubled on a bunt popup. Nothing cheese could do about downs

ETA our baserunning is awful at times but it's 90% on the players and the bunt today was called by Lemonis not cheese(I hate bunting by the way)

vCash
    Downs was 100% on Downs. But Hujsack, Downs, Larry, Jordan, Mershon have all had WTH moments on the base paths this season that is either lack of awareness, lack of focus or bad coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Downs was 100% on Downs. But Hujsack, Downs, Larry, Jordan, Mershon have all had WTH moments on the base paths this season that is either lack of awareness, lack of focus or bad coaching.
    It's just a continued pattern under this coaching staff though of a lack of attention to detail. Glad we still won but we make blunders on the bases and in the field that shouldn't happen in high school, much less from an SEC program. Justin Parker and his handling of the pitching staff is THE difference in this team from the past 2 years. You won't sweep a DH 10% of the time when you don't score over 4 runs in either game. Especially when it's the last 2 games of the weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Justin Parker and his handling of the pitching staff is THE difference in this team from the past 2 years. .
    Being 9th in the country in Fielding percentage probably has something to do with it also wouldnt you say? We are elite defensively
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    It's just a continued pattern under this coaching staff though of a lack of attention to detail. Glad we still won but we make blunders on the bases and in the field that shouldn't happen in high school, much less from an SEC program. Justin Parker and his handling of the pitching staff is THE difference in this team from the past 2 years. You won't sweep a DH 10% of the time when don't score over 4 runs in either game. Especially when it's the last 2 games of the weekend.
    Don't discount the impact that improved defense has had. We've essentially gone from worst to first in defense. It is partially a by-product of the improved pitching - but players still have to execute.

College Baseball is rife with bad baserunning. If you watch more than MSU, you see it everywhere. And the mistakes are just as boneheaded. And it's not just CBB - look at this from last year:
    https://theathletic.com/4220827/2023...b-baserunning/ - MLB is even discussing how bad they are now.

I was a very good baserunner in HS - and it frustrates the hell out of me seeing the mistakes we make. But, as the article above discusses, it's a game-wide issue because the fundamentals aren't taught like my generation learned them in the 80s.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Don't discount the impact that improved defense has had. We've essentially gone from worst to first in defense. It is partially a by-product of the improved pitching - but players still have to execute.

College Baseball is rife with bad baserunning. If you watch more than MSU, you see it everywhere. And the mistakes are just as boneheaded. And it's not just CBB - look at this from last year:
    https://theathletic.com/4220827/2023...b-baserunning/ - MLB is even discussing how bad they are now.

I was a very good baserunner in HS - and it frustrates the hell out of me seeing the mistakes we make. But, as the article above discusses, it's a game-wide issue because the fundamentals aren't taught like my generation learned them in the 80s.
    Bruns you always know exactly what you're talking about and it's dead on accurate! The fundamentals are being lost because kids are chasing launch angle, exit velo, spin rate,etc, etc... Watch every level heck even mlb. Bad baserunning, players can't execute bunts, missed cutoff men, hit and run, changing speeds. All these things take time and kids are not being taught these things at a younger level so they're not fundamentally sound like generations before. Like you said watch some other teams or mlb and you'll see it ain't just us!

vCash
    Bruns you always know exactly what you're talking about and it's dead on accurate! The fundamentals are being lost because kids are chasing launch angle, exit velo, spin rate,etc, etc... Watch every level heck even mlb. Bad baserunning, players can't execute bunts, missed cutoff men, hit and run, changing speeds. All these things take time and kids are not being taught these things at a younger level so they're not fundamentally sound like generations before. Like you said watch some other teams or mlb and you'll see it ain't just us!
    Bingo, you are exactly correct.

vCash
    Being 9th in the country in Fielding percentage probably has something to do with it also wouldnt you say? We are elite defensively
    No doubt, I will agree that has been quite an improvement as well. Pitching and defense are sort of intertwined anyway. We've had some errors that have happened at bad times that have cost us games (like the Kohler error at FL or the Larry error at OM) but overall no doubt that area has been a plus for us this year.

vCash
    Or, and Commerce this is something you and I have discussed, Players being able TO GO THE OTHER WAY. Hines did it yesterday and I almost fell off the rig I was standing on. I think I've seen him do it twice in his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Or, and Commerce this is something you and I have discussed, Players being able TO GO THE OTHER WAY. Hines did it yesterday and I almost fell off the rig I was standing on. I think I've seen him do it twice in his career.
    Oh heck yeah you're 100% right! We have 4 players I've seen who will use the whole field. Mershon, Hujsak, Chance and Long. Watch Hujsak when he gets to 2 strikes, he actually chokes up! I know he screwed up at third getting picked off but the guy is just fundamentally sound in all he does and watch him leave the box on anything he hits it's 100% all out. He's a throwback as well as those others I mention. Love watching players that play it the right way.

Wanna be a complete hitter, learn to use the whole field!

Great post, my man!

vCash
    Oh heck yeah you're 100% right! We have 4 players I've seen who will use the whole field. Mershon, Hujsak, Chance and Long. Watch Hujsak when he gets to 2 strikes, he actually chokes up! I know he screwed up at third getting picked off but the guy is just fundamentally sound in all he does and watch him leave the box on anything he hits it's 100% all out. He's a throwback as well as those others I mention. Love watching players that play it the right way.

Wanna be a complete hitter, learn to use the whole field!

Great post, my man!
    I have been really impressed with Hujsak's approach the entire year. I had way more confidence in him or Chance at the plate yesterday than I did Dakota and Hines. I just know they aren't going to try and hit it over the Sanderson Center every AB.

vCash
    I have been really impressed with Hujsak's approach the entire year. I had way more confidence in him or Chance at the plate yesterday than I did Dakota and Hines. I just know they aren't going to try and hit it over the Sanderson Center every AB.
    Man 100% on that. Those 2 are making things happen! If we could get Jordan and Hines going in front of them this lineup(even with the holes), could really be something. Just seems like Jordan and Hines are K ing a lot with runners on. You just know Hujsak and Chance are gonna at least put it in play. And credit to Chance he's stepped up cause he was bad early on. Hard work on his part and he's over 300 now with some power and clutch hitting.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 04-22-2024 at 02:18 PM.

vCash
    They were elite defensively in 2022 as well

vCash
    Yea Dakota has struggled, by his standards, the last 5 games. Need to get him going again.