Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
And I don't blame them one bit. They give to the things that matter and make real money. I love sports but it is entertainment only. Sports don't pay any bills, actually sports creates bills in 99% of households. The degree that does life supporting things is more important.

Let the rich sports alumni give to their college of sports? Oh wait, no one will do that just expect the engineers, business and education majors to foot the bill.

Can you imagine the outcry from athletics if engineering came crying to sports to fund them? Can yall see the hypocrisy? This is what is wrong with our culture. This is what led to the fall of the Roman empire.

As I've said repeatedly, the house of cards will crumble one day; the sports ballon will burst.
To be fair, while I agree athletics aren't the most important thing, it is usually one of the first opportunities to showcase your school to perspective highschool students. Have you looked at the number of out of state applications Alabama started getting after Saban had been there and won a couple of NCs? It shot through the roof and they are now cherry picking some of the best academic students thus improving the school's academic reputation.

So, in a round about way it would make sense if you care about academics to support athletics. It is like the front door to your university especially for kids that didn't have parents that went to State.