Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 Freshmen

vCash

13 Freshmen

And none of them are contributing. I've always though that the biggest indicator of the health of a program is having multiple freshmen contributing in the lineup and on the mound every year. We are screwed. Nolan Stevens showed some signs of life, but he's not helping us now. Everyone else looks awful. There's no excuse for us being in this position, and I think Lemonis' reputation as a good recruiter is a farce.

vCash
    Particularly with the pitching help.
    But yeah, seems in past years we always had 2-3 freshmen we could already see talent in them and despite up and down play, they had the ability to make plays.
    Mershon last year is a good example.
    If Cupp is healthy , he might change things.

Also, Grant's arm injury was a big deal. He would have helped this year.

vCash
    Stevens is hit or miss. Cupp was good in the field but not so good with the bat and he has been hurt. Grant is the biggest piece we are missing. He would be our 3rd starter right now if he was not injured. The rest of the Freshman, I mean maybe we are disappointed to not be getting stuff from the pitchers but all our position players are older veterans. They were not going to supplant those guys anyways.

Really interested though: I can only think of 3, maybe 4, freshman each year that have contributed even in the last 10 years. 18 is the outlier year. Just trying to think back,

13: Robson kind of
    14: no one
    15: no one
    16: Mangum, Stovall a little bit, Marrero, Pilkington
    17: Self
    18: Jordan, Allen, Hatcher, Foscue, Westburg
    19: Ginn, Hayden Jones for a week
    21: Clark, Fristoe, Forsythe
    22: Hines, Cheatham, Pico
    23: Mershon, Dakota, Ross, Cjintje
    24: Cupp, Stevens, Spalitta/McKenzie/O?Brien. Kind of all count as one due to spot starts
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 04-15-2024 at 09:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Stevens is hit or miss. Cupp was good in the field but not so good with the bat and he has been hurt. Grant is the biggest piece we are missing. He would be our 3rd starter right now if he was not injured. The rest of the Freshman, I mean maybe we are disappointed to not be getting stuff from the pitchers but all our position players are older veterans. They were not going to supplant those guys anyways.
    We have a DH spot that we can't get any production from. I'm shocked at a sec program, we can't find a guy that can square a baseball up. That's horrible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We have a DH spot that we can't get any production from. I'm shocked at a sec program, we can't find a guy that can square a baseball up. That's horrible
    No DH and no closer? two critical pieces to collegiate baseball success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Downs. We just refuse to play him.

vCash
    Respectfully, Downs is ass. It's just everybody else isn't good either so it makes him look like not ass.

25k in 66 AB. No power. 2 doubles on the season and one of those was a ball that got misplayed by the outfielder on a can of corn pop up.

This dude is now a junior and has 5 XBH (all doubles) in his career. His career K% is 40%. He is not good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Respectfully, Downs is ass. It's just everybody else isn't good either so it makes him look like not ass.

25k in 66 AB. No power. 2 doubles on the season and one of those was a ball that got misplayed by the outfielder on a can of corn pop up.

This dude is now a junior and has 5 XBH (all doubles) in his career. His career K% is 40%. He is not good.
    Oh I agree. We just do not have a good answer for that position unless someone steps up. Maybe move Cupp to the field and Larry to DH.

vCash
    Oh I agree. We just do not have a good answer for that position unless someone steps up. Maybe move Cupp to the field and Larry to DH.
    Probably should happen. Cupp to SS

vCash
    I could see putting Cupp in the lineup. Larry can?t hit or play defense right now. If you get defense from Cupp and he still can?t hit that?s at least 1 plus. Larry hasn?t really hit well all year. No reason to think he?s in a slump. This is just him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobi-wan View Post
    I could see putting Cupp in the lineup. Larry can?t hit or play defense right now. If you get defense from Cupp and he still can?t hit that?s at least 1 plus. Larry hasn?t really hit well all year. No reason to think he?s in a slump. This is just him.
    Larry is just streaky. He will hit well for 2 weekends and then not hit for 3 weekends. The defense going to hell is the worrying thing about him.

vCash
    Sure, but he’s a senior and won’t be here next year. Why not get a freshman some playing time that we can have come back?

vCash
    You would be surprised about some of the freshman we have if we actually had a hitting coach that taught and instructed hitting. Name me one kid that actually got better under Gotro that wasn’t already a beast out of high school…

vCash
    he's k'd in 17 of 28 sec at bats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    You would be surprised about some of the freshman we have if we actually had a hitting coach that taught and instructed hitting. Name me one kid that actually got better under Gotro that wasn’t already a beast out of high school…
    Dustin Skelton. He may be the only one but Gautreau somehow got through to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    he's k'd in 17 of 28 sec at bats
    And the others K in their ABs too. We are in a shitty position so we have tried Spalitta and O’Brien and McKenzie. Lets go back to Downs now.

vCash

Really interested though: I can only think of 3, maybe 4, freshman each year that have contributed even in the last 10 years. 18 is the outlier year. Just trying to think back,

13: Robson kind of
    14: no one
    15: no one
    16: Mangum, Stovall a little bit, Marrero, Pilkington
    17: Self
    18: Jordan, Allen, Hatcher, Foscue, Westburg
    19: Ginn, Hayden Jones for a week
    21: Clark, Fristoe, Forsythe
    22: Hines, Cheatham, Pico
    23: Mershon, Dakota, Ross, Cjintje
    24: Cupp, Stevens, Spalitta/McKenzie/O?Brien. Kind of all count as one due to spot starts
    I don't remember a Freshman named Marrero in '16.
    Who was that?

vCash
    Eli, of the Dodger family of players?

vCash
    All the Miami folks asked why he wasn't on the team when Miami came for the regional, whatever year that was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    All the Miami folks asked why he wasn't on the team when Miami came for the regional, whatever year that was.
    That was in 19. Cann kicked him off the team in 17 because he was dealing coke. Had a few players caught up in it, one big time player. Had been a problem since midway through the 16 season.