Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Coaching Hot Board

vCash

Head Coaching Hot Board

We fired it up last year and had it in full swing but got derailed because Lemonhead lucked into a series win at Alex Box. Should be no saving him this time.

1. Justin Haire- HC at Campbell. Not having a great year, by their standards, this year but 5 regionals in 6 years (missed 2020 because of COVID). He would be my first call.

2. Chris Pollard- HC at Duke. Actually has his masters from Mississippi State so he is an alumni as well. Never played here though. Has Duke rolling this year and has made 3 Supers in 5 years at Duke. Was solid at App State before that.

3. Tom Walter- HC at Wake Forest. Built an absolute monster at Wake and if he brought Muscara with him he might supplant Haire as my number 1 choice. Also knows how to use the portal well.

4. Nick Mingione- Needs no intro. We know all about him. Has steadily built Kentucky into a steady program and they are having a great year.

5. Butch Thompson- Same as Mingione but more success.

6. Dan Heefner- HC at DBU. He will not leave DBU and I honestly am not sold on him. I think he has to be at the right program and I do not think we are that.

7. Elliot Avent- HC at NC State and has long coveted our job. Age may be an issue with him.

8. Nate Thompson- Hitting coach and recruiting coordinator at Arkansas. If we are to go the asst route, and I do not believe we should, this needs to be the only guy we contact. Has been with DVH for a long time and we know all too well how well Arkansas hits the baseball.

vCash
    Also, no I did not add Vitello because he is not coming. Same for Link Jarrett, Tim Corbin, Tim Tadlock, Dan McDonnell, or whatever other pipe dream candidates people throw out there. We had our chance to hire Vitello in 18 and did not even interview him.

vCash
    Yep! We cannot turn back around after looking incompetent again this year. I believe our AD will do his job.

vCash
    We also don?t need to hire the nicest guy we can find and if that person has some baggage, then that is fine too. We need the best baseball coach we can get, period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAWG1903 View Post
    We also don?t need to hire the nicest guy we can find and if that person has some baggage, then that is fine too. We need the best baseball coach we can get, period.
    Most baseball coaches do not have baggage like football and basketball. And outside of Vitello there are not many controversial head coaches, and since we are not hiring him it really will not matter.

vCash
    I would take almost anyone at this point if it meant Lemonis got his walking papers. Of the list you have though, any of the top three would be acceptable and I wouldn?t mind a look at Mingione. The rest should be considered if the others flat turned us down.

vCash
    Go ahead and remove Thompson from the list. We can and should do better. However there will be a lot of guys from Cohen?s early years pulling for him to get job much like there were some in Raffo?s camp.

vCash
    Unpopular opinion, but we're still projected to make a regional. If we make it, Lemonis is staying.

vCash
    And a coach that?s not afraid to get in a players face chew on him like a pit bull. We talk about Polk II well this is Lemonis III.

vCash
    Chris Pollard is my #1.

I would love Haire, but his conference level of play would concern me.

Pollard has had success in the ACC which is a good baseball conference. He also has a master's from MSU, albeit probably all online

vCash
    Still a lot of baseball left but if we're getting out over our skis, I'm good with that list but not a fan of Mingione. Other than that it's a good list.
    And to supplement your we won't get him list, I like the dude at TCU a lot and would love for him to come here. That's a long shot at best though so no sense getting my hopes up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    Still a lot of baseball left but if we're getting out over our skis, I'm good with that list but not a fan of Mingione. Other than that it's a good list.
    And to supplement your we won't get him list, I like the dude at TCU a lot and would love for him to come here. That's a long shot at best though so no sense getting my hopes up.
    Sarloos would be an interesting hire. No clue how much they are paying but to pull a power conference guy like that we would probably have to overpay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Unpopular opinion, but we're still projected to make a regional. If we make it, Lemonis is staying.
    Definitely a distinct possibility. Some would see it as a slap in the face, but I do not know how Selmon operates. I suspect that he views football and basketball far more important than baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAWG1903 View Post
    After the way our fans have reacted towards Johnny Long probably don?t want someone with fire that cusses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that. To save his job, he either needs to be a host or high 2, or else have a run to Omaha.

vCash
    Whoever is projecting that hasn't looked at our schedule. We'll go 0-6 between Vandy and Upig. We will at best win 2 in the Mizzou, Bama and Auburn series. That puts us at 13 SEC wins. That won't get us into a regional with our RPI.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that. To save his job, he either needs to be a host or high 2, or else have a run to Omaha.
    None of that’s happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    After the way our fans have reacted towards Johnny Long probably don?t want someone with fire that cusses.
    This!

vCash
    Nobody bitching about his fire. People have and arguably so questioned his stupidity. He's hurt his team two straight weekends with stupid bullshit.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Johnny Long brings fire and I like it, but fire not under control turns into damage.