Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An UGA Error

vCash

An UGA Error

Should not be the difference between the site saying the season is over and this site saying all is well, we have a good team.

Anyway, I looked up some stats to try and zoom out from just wins and loses or the latest on field product.

SEC ONLY: 5th in ERA (holy crap what a job by Parker!), 1st in defense (again a massive turnaround from last year), T11th SLG%, 6th OBP.

WHOLE SEASON: 6th in ERA, 2nd in defense, 13th SLG%, 10th OPB

Notes:

1) We've had it easy overall, with the (SECs) 12th ranked SOS per Warren Nolan. So our season long stats may be a bit inflated relative to our peers.

2) SEC only play the ERA of our opponents is (in order of when we played them) 11th, 6th, 7th, 12th. IE, the average ERA of our opponents is 9th so our already bad offensive numbers should get worse as we face the better staffs.

3) SEC only play our opponents offense have been pretty normal: average 5th in SLG% and 7.5 in OBP, so our pitching numbers seem legitimate.

Thoughts:

A) Jake G is absolutely awful at his job. Yet another year of sub average offense despite our top 10 classes he helped evaluate. Conversely, Parker is amazing

B) how "good" we truly are depends a lot on how you personally weigh defense, pitching, or offense. It also depends on if you think we "regress" to our non-con offense or if it's permanently improved. As I said in 2) above, we have faced relatively bad pitching so far.so I expect us to drop a bit even if we don't go full "non-con" again. I think we're roughly the 8th or 9th best team in the SEC but it's debatable.

Lemones' Buyout Dollar Question:

Is being the 8th best team enough to where you want Lemo back? I can't say he should be fired for it, but I also don't think we will be better next year. Feels like delaying the inevitable and wasting another year if we bring him back. But he won't be fired if we actually finish 8th. What would you want to happen?

vCash
    Amazing the lengths our fans will go to try and say we suck because they dont like Lemon.

We are a Top 20 team rankings wise.
    We are 6-6 in the SEC when most thought we would not be able to achieve that and will be the favorite in the next 2 series.
    We beat a team 2/3 that the entire nation considered a toss-up series. Especially considering Georgia has one of the best offenses in the country.
    We should have swept the last 2 series- they were that close

We are going to be ranked inside the Top 20 tomorrow- and we have fans wanting to fire our HC. Fan is short of fanatic for a reason. Insanity
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    and let me add:

If we are ranked heading into the Tourney which is likely- Lemon is not getting fired. Get ready for that

vCash
    I know a lot don't like Lemonis but dang this team is fun to watch, and they're getting the job done. Heck what happened today oughta prove to people how tough these kids are. All the bs last night, Dohm goes down in the first, we get down 5-0 and they could've just said oh well we're done but they didn't and they found a way to win. If you blame Lemonis for the bad the you have to give him credit for the good and he did a phenomal job keeping this team together after last night. They've fought and scrapped all year so give him a little credit. I'm enjoying watching this team play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I know a lot don't like Lemonis but dang this team is fun to watch, and they're getting the job done. Heck what happened today oughta prove to people how tough these kids are. All the bs last night, Dohm goes down in the first, we get down 5-0 and they could've just said oh well we're done but they didn't and they found a way to win. If you blame Lemonis for the bad the you have to give him credit for the good and he did a phenomal job keeping this team together after last night. They've fought and scrapped all year so give him a little credit. I'm enjoying watching this team play
    Fun to watch? Play hard? YES. But we simply aren't that talented and that's on Lemo. And his in game management still sucks. Again, we were an error away from dropping the series. We just aren't that good of a team overall even though they are entertaining as hell

vCash
    We have a good baseball team. We have a very tough baseball team. We "should have" swept the last two series. We are better than Georgia and Florida. I watch the games. Some people love stats. Stats mean nothing to me. Win or lose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Fun to watch? Play hard? YES. But we simply aren't that talented and that's on Lemo. And his in game management still sucks. Again, we were an error away from dropping the series. We just aren't that good of a team overall even though they are entertaining as hell
    The stats don't agree with you. Or MLB scouts. We're also one pitch from winning the Florida series and we may win A&M if Morris Hodges is professional.

We have 21 wins this year and 6 SEC wins and we aren't at the midpoint of the SEC season. The past two years we won 26 and 27 with 9 SEC wins both seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    We have a good baseball team. We have a very tough baseball team. We "should have" swept the last two series. We are better than Georgia and Florida. I watch the games. Some people love stats. Stats mean nothing to me. Win or lose.
    Only stat that matters!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Amazing the lengths our fans will go to try and say we suck because they dont like Lemon.

We are 6-6 in the SEC when most thought we would not be able to achieve that and will be the favorite in the next 2 series.
    We beat a team 2/3 that the entire nation considered a toss-up series. Especially considering Georgia has one of the best offenses in the country.

We are going to be ranked inside the Top 20 tomorrow- and we have fans wanting to fire our HC. Fan is short of fanatic for a reason. Insanity
    I think the next two series will kind of tell the tale for us to a degree. We need wins. And we need to stop losing midweek games.

With our RPI there is a chance we don't make it with 13 SEC wins. It's at 47 last time I looked and we actually lost three spots today despite winning.

vCash
    We are also a 3rd baseman fielding a ground ball and stepping on his bag away from winning 3 out of 4 SEC series. Baseball is a different sport that the overly emotional sort can't quite handle.

For all it's flaws, this team is getting better. Hell, not for last night's BS, this weekend might've been a sweep.

vCash

1) Did I say we "suck"? I said we would finish 8th. Does that suck to you? If it does, do you think we should fire Lemo if he finished 8th?

2) We "will be the favorite in the next 2 series"... who gives a crap? I'm talking season long stats and season long results, not the next 6 games alone.

3) It was not considered a "toss up series", we were ranked and playing AT HOME (which you made a post about how much of an advantage that is a few weeks ago). You can't simultaneously cite our ranking as a sign we're really good and then also pretend a ranked team playing at home vs an unranked team is a "toss up". Many here were saying we needed a sweep

4) it's insane to say we "should have" swept 2 series that we went 3-3 in. That's you changing a LOT of breaks one way only. And today, we needed a late inning error to win. How on earth is that a "should" on our end?

5) NOBODY IS SAYING TO FIRE OUR HC!!! That's you putting words in my mouth. I'm talking about letting the season play out and evaluating then. I'm asking a question about what we want to do then IF things wind up with us 8th/9th.

vCash
    and let me add:

If we are ranked heading into the Tourney which is likely- Lemon is not getting fired. Get ready for that
    I think we would all be fine with that. Being viewed as a top 25 team by the voters and/or the selection committee in most years should be an easy baseline for any competent coach to meet.

I'm fine with Lemonis getting another year if we end the regular season as a top 25 program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I think we would all be fine with that. Being viewed as a top 25 team by the voters and/or the selection committee in most years should be an easy baseline for any competent coach to meet.

I'm fine with Lemonis getting another year if we end the regular season as a top 25 program.
    good deal. Quality-level headed take

vCash
    No we have talent. If we didn't we wouldn't be winning. Who cares how you win? Heck we've lost our share of games because of errors. They happen in baseball. I've played and coached a lot of baseball and this team has talent. Sorry if you don't see it that way but me and a bunch of others including mlb scouts say you're wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree and see what happens by the end of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The stats don't agree with you. Or MLB scouts. We're also one pitch from winning the Florida series and we may win A&M if Morris Hodges is professional.

We have 21 wins this year and 6 SEC wins and we aren't at the midpoint of the SEC season. The past two years we won 26 and 27 with 9 SEC wins both seasons.
    This is 100% correct. I know plenty of scouts and coaches and they don't see it the way some of our fans do. I call it Lemonis derangement syndrome lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    We are also a 3rd baseman fielding a ground ball and stepping on his bag away from winning 3 out of 4 SEC series. Baseball is a different sport that the overly emotional sort can't quite handle.

For all it's flaws, this team is getting better. Hell, not for last night's BS, this weekend might've been a sweep.
    Excellent post , my friend!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

We have some elite good top end talent, but we also have Long, Larry, Kholer, no DH, and not a singe Fr hitter able to contribute. These are big talent issues and holes in the lineup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    No we have talent. If we didn't we wouldn't be winning. Who cares how you win? Heck we've lost our share of games because of errors. They happen in baseball. I've played and coached a lot of baseball and this team has talent. Sorry if you don't see it that way but me and a bunch of others including mlb scouts say you're wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree and see what happens by the end of the season.
    draft this July?

Caribbean Jerk
    Purdue
    Dohm
    Hines
    Jordan
    Hugesak
    Holcombe

Those 7 are guanranteed to be drafted

Mershon, Loftin, Siary, Pico...talented

Freshmen? Cupp, Stevens, Grant, McKenzie...talented Freshmen

We may not be th most talented team in the SEC- but we are fine talent-wise