Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hands off, hmmmm, if you only knew.
    I'm certainly open to enlightenment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It's crazy to me to think and say "only the Sec games" will define Lemonis future. Every game is important, you can't lay down on non-conference games. If players or coaches aren't giving 100% then they shouldn't be at Msu! If someone isn't giving 100% they want be successful. Dang.....
    Well it's true to an extent because how we do in the SEC determines if we get to the postseason or not.

But from there how we do in the postseason should we make it will determine his fate.

vCash
    Having a Super as your standard is not lowering the bar at all. We all know Lemon has not been good the last 2 years. Get the job done this year or you will be unemployed.

The big thing is to let it play out. Almost nobody here thought we would be 4-5 in the SEC right now. It was all this “we gonna be 1-8” chatter. Win the series against Georgia and we are still on track to accomplish our goals. Pretty simple
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Having a Super as your standard is not lowering the bar at all. We all know Lemon has not been good the last 2 years. Get the job done this year or you will be unemployed.

The big thing is to let it play out. Almost nobody here thought we would be 4-5 in the SEC right now. It was all this ?we gonna be 1-8? chatter. Win the series against Georgia and we are still on track to accomplish our goals. Pretty simple
    None of our baseball coaches have had any job issues while making Supers. Outside of 2007 when we went on a very unexpected run, I don't think Polk 2 ever made a Super. And with Lemonis, we are coming off of missing Hoover 2 straight years. Talk about what should be unacceptable, that's it. You can't even finish in the Top 12 of a freakin' 14 team league? No realistic MSU fan expects to make the CWS every year. We do expect to at least make a regional every year or close to it and with what we pour into our baseball program I think that is more than reasonable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    None of our baseball coaches have had any job issues while making Supers. Outside of 2007 when we went on a very unexpected run, I don't think Polk 2 ever made a Super. And with Lemonis, we are coming off of missing Hoover 2 straight years. Talk about what should be unacceptable, that's it. You can't even finish in the Top 12 of a freakin' 14 team league? No realistic MSU fan expects to make the CWS every year. We do expect to at least make a regional every year or close to it and with what we pour into our baseball program I think that is more than reasonable.
    Cohen got the Super after 3 years. Cohen played for the Natty in Y5. Cohen made 2 Supers or better in 7 seasons. Why do sooooo many of our fans live in Revisionist history?

vCash
    Cohen got the Super after 3 years. Cohen played for the Natty in Y5. Cohen made 2 Supers or better in 7 seasons. Why do sooooo many of our fans live in Revisionist history?
    1) Odd that you leave off his 8th season, where we won the SEC outright and made the Supers as a national seed (lost to the eventual runner up). This is the definition of cherrypicking stats that you took his first 7 seasons but not his full 8.

2) Cohen had to rebuild from Polk 2 in a pre Portal, pre 1 time immediate eligibility transfer era world. It only took 2 lost seasons to get it rolling. Year 3 on: Super, regional, CWS runner up, regional, missed tourney (which he aggressively addressed via JuCo transfers), SR as a national seed and SEC champs. Then Cann comes along and somehow makes a Super with like 3 serviceable SEC pitchers, and then Henderson took a very distracted team to Omaha.
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 04-03-2024 at 09:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    1) Odd that you leave off his 8th season, where we won the SEC outright and made the Supers as a national seed (lost to the eventual runner up). This is the definition of cherrypicking stats that you took his first 7 seasons but not his full 8.

2) Cohen had to rebuild from Polk 2 in a pre Portal, pre 1 time immediate eligibility transfer era world. It only took 2 lost seasons to get it rolling. Year 3 on: Super, regional, CWS runner up, regional, missed tourney (which he aggressively addressed via JuCo transfers), SR as a national seed and SEC champs. Then Cann comes along and somehow makes a Super with like 3 serviceable SEC pitchers, and then Henderson took a very distracted team to Omaha.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh and here we go.

I did that because half the fanbase wanted Cohen fired after Y2. I was online supporting Cohen and explaining that Polk 2 was ridiculously lazy. He has lost for 2 seasons and people didnt think State should have that happen. Raffo told me on the phone they wouldnt recruit my players unless they came to camp. 2 went to LSU and 1 to UPig. People were pissed Greg didnt let Polk make Raffo the HC. Then- not only did our fans want to fire Cohen after 2 years- they wanted to fire him again in 2015. He bunted too much. He missed the Tourney. He was letting our program fall. Our program was losing life.

Then we went on our best run in history. Point? Fans arent the best judge of when coaching changes need to happen. Fan is short for fanatic for a reason

vCash
    and to make the comparision- one of the big arguments to fire Arnett was not only was the rebuild going bad but recruiting in the future wasnt very rosey. We were in the 30's in recruiting for football.

For this recruiting class- Lemon/State is 10th in the country this cycle in recruiting rating. That's why people in the know or higher up arent white knuckling right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you that Lemonis and company will ever get us back to where we belong? Im about a 3 at best. He has beaten OM like a drum, and that is great. But if we are never going to get back to where we should be with him, every inning he is here is a waste. We are an improved team. We have a shot to not finish in 14th place in our league. But that is not us.
    Define "where we belong"

vCash
    The worst thing that can happen is achieving only the bare minimum required to stay the course.

I have no idea what that level is. But for the good of the program we need to miss it or achieve it by a good bit.

Escape the gray area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Also have a nice class coming in. Im gonna call it Lemonis Derangement Syndrome lol. Pretty simple though if he doesnt win this year we'll have a new coach handling this next year.
    Our fans in general are not very good at predicting player career arcs and thus have to "see it".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Our fans in general are not very good at predicting player career arcs and thus have to "see it".
    Is that not the case for anything in baseball , that you have to prove yourself and "see it". We can see potential in players, but the mental aspect is so important as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Is that not the case for anything in baseball , that you have to prove yourself and "see it". We can see potential in players, but the mental aspect is so important as well.
    I see that our team is ranked currently

vCash
    I see that our team is ranked currently
    agree, and we do seem to have a better mental toughness this year.
    My take is nothing on the players, but that we should all want to challenge anyone , any time, this year. Be the team end of the year that no one wants to face.

Just did not agree with some fans posting , just being happy to be there at a regional and it is a good year.
    Last edited by Santiago; 04-03-2024 at 01:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I have never said not making the CWS this season is a let down. What I have criticized is what has come across after the past 2 seasons of a fan base just being thrilled to get in a regional.
    Or what I have seen posted on here recently telling us that the SEC is different and we are no longer in the old days. That is when I speak up and say well we made it twice to the championship in these new days, so stop lowering the bar of goals. We should strive every season for it.

We do not have a full team for next year without some big portal hauls and talent evaluation.
    We'll be fine. The biggest thing we need out of the portal is a closer and maybe a third baseman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    So how do you recruit that? I truly don't know because I don't follow baseball recruiting very close. I mean is that just going to find a fireballer and kind of penciling him in to be the closer? I know with Sims, he was brought in to be a starter and lost out on the weekend rotation the first weekend of the 21 season and kind of found the closer role because of what he did to Texas.

Also, to go into that stat a little, a closer may not win all those 13 games, but just say you turn 8 of them around you are 35-18 and SAFELY in the NCAA tournament and depending on the 8 you may be vying for a hosting spot. So close, yet so far away.
    Recruiting a closer in college is tough because everyone wants to get drafted. To get drafted high in mlb looks to draft pitchers who have shown they can start and then mlb can convert them to relief if they can't start. They very rarely draft a pitcher just to be a closer. So to find a pitcher to close in college you have to have a sims like situation where he can close for a year or so and then start when he's going to be draft eligible. Or find a guy that maybe borderline and convince him the way to be drafted is to close. Sometimes you find a guy that just wants to close. It's not as easy as it sounds to recruit a guy just to close in college. I would look for a guy that's got a live fastball and a Bulldog mentality, that's mentally tough and can deal with blowing one every now and then and comeback the next day and shut it down. Sims really was a perfect fit for the role.

ETA I'm like you I wouldn't expect to win all 13 but as you said 8 or 9 would put you in post season. Yes so very close but so very far!

I believe in 21 we only blew 2 games when we had the lead after 7.

vCash
    Recruiting a closer in college is tough because everyone wants to get drafted. To get drafted high in mlb looks to draft pitchers who have shown they can start and then mlb can convert them to relief if they can't start. They very rarely draft a pitcher just to be a closer. So to find a pitcher to close in college you have to have a sims like situation where he can close for a year or so and then start when he's going to be draft eligible. Or find a guy that maybe borderline and convince him the way to be drafted is to close. Sometimes you find a guy that just wants to close. It's not as easy as it sounds to recruit a guy just to close in college. I would look for a guy that's got a live fastball and a Bulldog mentality, that's mentally tough and can deal with blowing one every now and then and comeback the next day and shut it down. Sims really was a perfect fit for the role.

ETA I'm like you I wouldn't expect to win all 13 but as you said 8 or 9 would put you in post season. Yes so very close but so very far!

I believe in 21 we only blew 2 games when we had the lead after 7.
    That's a great stat til you realize we didn't lead after 4 in many games much less 7.

vCash
    That's a great stat til you realize we didn't lead after 4 in many games much less 7.
    21 was the championship year we lead in most games that year

The Sims factor

vCash
    21 was the championship year we lead in most games that year

The Sims factor
    My bad. Was thinking 22 since we were talking about blown leads. What are the two games that we blew? Was it TCU and South Carolina?

vCash
    My bad. Was thinking 22 since we were talking about blown leads. What are the two games that we blew? Was it TCU and South Carolina?
    No worries. Lol at my age the years run together for me all the time and find myself having to double and triple check! Tcu was one but I'll have to look on the other one. PJ as setup and Sims closing gave us a big 8-9 inning double punch.