Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Is that not the case for anything in baseball , that you have to prove yourself and "see it". We can see potential in players, but the mental aspect is so important as well.
Yes, but it's also reasonable to expect players to improve as they mature as players. Does every player pan out? No. But the odds of a guy like Nolan Stevens getting better are pretty high for example. The odds of a Dylan Cupp getting better are high. Guys that play in National All Star games that we get to campus like the PG All American Classic tend to pan out more times than not. Even a guy like Bryce Chance that I expect to be here as a fifth year senior- odds are he is going to be an even better player in two years than he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
This is year 6 of Lemo. Forgive me if I'm no longer buying the narrative that he just needs to get "his guys" in here, or that Jake G will "coach up" the hitters. We get talent yes, I'm not saying the recruiting is bad... I'm saying that last year and this year are completely Lemos team so why would another year of Lemo recruits be the key to victory?

At what point does "one more year to get his guys" become the definition of insanity?

Make it to a regional final or get out. Jake G and Cheese too. Parker can stay. That's as charitable to Lemo as I can be.
What is this about year six and Lemonis having his guys? No one has said anything about that. Everyone knows his guys are here now. Are you getting this confused with some Genespage post from 2005?

Whether Lemonis coaches these players next year or not is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is he has shown that he can win with enough talent- 2019-2021. That's not an endorsement for keeping him- actually quite the opposite if he keeps underachieving with his recruits. Because if he isn't our coach then someone that does come in is basically going to walk into a really good situation that can be turned around very quickly. To me, I don't care who coaches them as long as they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
That's revisionist history. You can go through the archives at SPS and see that it's not true. There were a few people here and there who wanted him fired, but he had clear majority support of the fanbase, even though there was a consensus that he had to make a Regional in Year 3.
It wasn't just about Polk and Raffo and Cohen. You had fans that wanted Steve Smith, some that wanted Brian Shoop, and some that wanted someone else. The biggest thing Cohen had going for him was his track record as a coach. I can't tell you how many people would come up to me and talk about how big of an asshole Cohen was in 2009 and 2010- but would then follow up with "he's going to win a National Championship here though." So there were certainly a lot of fans that didn't like him but I think on some level they also knew that's what we needed as a baseball coach. And honestly in hindsight he absolutely built our program into what we expect and want to be even moreso than Polk did. 2016-2021 was the best run for MSU baseball ever. And that's because of Cohen. 2011-2013 was pretty darn good too.

Also- fans say stupid things when we're losing too. Especially MSU fans.