Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closers

vCash

Closers

Here is my unofficial who I would try if I was in the coaches shoes in no particular order.

1. Nolan Stevens. I think having a defined role will help him out as a player. Really good fastball and he has gotten us out of some pressure situations before. Yes, he was the pitcher who got walked off on Friday but that wasn't 100% on him. Let him pitch with some clean innings and see what he can do. It may allow us to maximize his bat as well. He has 23 K's and only 4 walks in 19 IP.

2. Tyson Hardin. He was throwing 97 with some swag on Sat. His numbers don't pop until you look deeper and realize that he has now gone 6 appearances without allowing a run to score and most of those he has gone at least 2 innings. He will have a big role going forward no matter what his role. The only thing looking at his stats that concern me a bit are the walks are a bit high.

3. Nate Dohm. This goes hand in hand with Stevens a bit. Really it comes down to his health and how we feel like we can best maximize him. If he is a starter and eats 5-7 innings every weekend that helps the bullpen in and of itself. For example if he had pitched this weekend and gone five innings then we don't pitch Ligon at all and Siary and Schuelke's innings are probably reduced by at least 1-2. The argument for having him close is he has done it before and he can also go multiple innings. But it's doubtful we would get the 5-7 innings out of him a weekend doing that which makes me believe that MSU likely puts him in the rotation. But I say that without knowing what his medical situation is. If he closes MSU probably needs to strongly consider starting Stevens.

4. Logan Forsythe. I'm not sure why he hasn't pitched more. When he has pitched he has been about as good as you can get. 3 IP with 7 K's 1 walk and no hits allowed. It's also mid 90's fastball with a good breaking ball. Even if he doesn't close you would think he could at least help.

5. Bradley Loftin. They have been bringing him back slowly because of injuries but they do need to consider using him in a larger capacity. If he can keep his emotions together he has a fastball and changeup that can play up big time in a closer role.

vCash
    Been a while since we had legit closer. Can't disagree with your post.

vCash
    Definitely not Siary. He looks scared shatless every time he takes the mound

vCash
    I’m not understanding why Forsythe isn’t getting more innings… To me he would be excellent In That role..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    I’m not understanding why Forsythe isn’t getting more innings… To me he would be excellent In That role..
    because we have a clueless head coach. there are posters here who could manage as well as he does.

vCash
    I'd like to see Loftin get a shot. He's got the best stuff of that group, IMO. That change is a lethal out pitch.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Here is my unofficial who I would try if I was in the coaches shoes in no particular order.

1. Nolan Stevens. I think having a defined role will help him out as a player. Really good fastball and he has gotten us out of some pressure situations before. Yes, he was the pitcher who got walked off on Friday but that wasn't 100% on him. Let him pitch with some clean innings and see what he can do. It may allow us to maximize his bat as well. He has 23 K's and only 4 walks in 19 IP.

2. Tyson Hardin. He was throwing 97 with some swag on Sat. His numbers don't pop until you look deeper and realize that he has now gone 6 appearances without allowing a run to score and most of those he has gone at least 2 innings. He will have a big role going forward no matter what his role. The only thing looking at his stats that concern me a bit are the walks are a bit high.

3. Nate Dohm. This goes hand in hand with Stevens a bit. Really it comes down to his health and how we feel like we can best maximize him. If he is a starter and eats 5-7 innings every weekend that helps the bullpen in and of itself. For example if he had pitched this weekend and gone five innings then we don't pitch Ligon at all and Siary and Schuelke's innings are probably reduced by at least 1-2. The argument for having him close is he has done it before and he can also go multiple innings. But it's doubtful we would get the 5-7 innings out of him a weekend doing that which makes me believe that MSU likely puts him in the rotation. But I say that without knowing what his medical situation is. If he closes MSU probably needs to strongly consider starting Stevens.

4. Logan Forsythe. I'm not sure why he hasn't pitched more. When he has pitched he has been about as good as you can get. 3 IP with 7 K's 1 walk and no hits allowed. It's also mid 90's fastball with a good breaking ball. Even if he doesn't close you would think he could at least help.

5. Bradley Loftin. They have been bringing him back slowly because of injuries but they do need to consider using him in a larger capacity. If he can keep his emotions together he has a fastball and changeup that can play up big time in a closer role.
    Concerning Dohm, I think this team is in more need of 3-4 innings from him in multiple appearances in weekend series than 5-7 innings in one game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Been a while since we had legit closer. Can't disagree with your post.
    Yeah, all the way back to the distant past of 2023!

vCash
    Hardin has developed a nasty little cutter. He certainly deserves a shot. Dohm should be the other choice.

Stevens is starting for us tomorrow- shows where their head is at with him
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He's like Preston Johnson, he's a dinger machine......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Hardin has developed a nasty little cutter. He certainly deserves a shot. Dohm should be the other choice.

Hardin cutter was nasty. Florida hitters could not pick up spin on it at all. They were swinging at pitches that weren't even close, tells me they were seeing fastball and it wasn't lol. That armside run he's developed on his fastball was pretty filthy too. Cutter away, fastball with armside run in mid 90s is a pretty good combo. Give him a shot everyone else has had one.

Him or Dohm next man up. Somebody's gotta step up.

vCash
    It?s just as important to have a closer that can bounce back quickly. We need someone who can pitch twice every other weekend and once the rest.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    I agree

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Definitely not Siary. He looks scared shatless every time he takes the mound
    What? He’s can flat out deal.

vCash
    Heard Forsythe is not at 100% health wise. Fwiw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

That may have more to do about Dohm's health. If Dohm is able to give us 5-7 innings every weekend that's the best way to maximize him.

If he's only able to go 1-2 innings a weekend then the best way to use him is as a closer.

I'm fine with Stevens starting but as far as I'm concerned it almost at this point has to be either Stevens or Dohm with Hardin being the next man up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    He's like Preston Johnson, he's a dinger machine......
    Siary has allowed the most on the team I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Siary has allowed the most on the team I believe.
    Yeah that one Sunday was number 7. Really high number compared to innings pitched

vCash
    The moment got too big for Stephens last Friday night. Throwing two 58 foot pitches for the walk when needing just one more strike for the win kind of showed that. Maybe he can grow up fast but right now I'd rather have him in middle relief if he's not starting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The moment got too big for Stephens last Friday night. Throwing two 58 foot pitches for the walk when needing just one more strike for the win kind of showed that. Maybe he can grow up fast but right now I'd rather have him in middle relief if he's not starting.
    I think starting might be better for someone like that IMO. You know that when he starts at home the score is going to be 0-0 and if he starts on the road the score will be 0-0 or we'll have a lead before he throws a pitch. We can get him into a routine and get him into the flow of the game.

Plus his future at MSU as a pitcher is going to be as a weekend starter. So getting him experience doesn't hurt.