Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Game 3

vCash
    I think we'll be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep. It's gotta be frustrating as heck to these kids to fight and battle the whole game and have a win turn into a loss just like that.
    Yep. This is where a couple of leaders who are not necessarily the best hitters or pitchers step up and have a players only meeting. It's time to find out who is playing to improve their stats for the MLB draft and who is playing to win games doing the little things well for MSU. Understanding using all fields and not being dead pull hitters have to be drilled into 3 guys heads on this team! Chance, Mershon and ( Hujsak to some degree) seem to have that figured out. Downs and Larry have no business trying to pull the ball or wanting it inside part of plate to be willing to swing until 2 strikes. I'm not sure Hines could hit a ball to left field without cueing it off the end of the bat by accident. Jordan hits a lot of Straight away HRs but not many oppo base hits.

As for our guys batting .350 with RISP, that can be miss leading when you win games 11-3 or 10-4. What is their RISP average in the 10 losses?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I think we'll be fine.
    Maybe, but we are a good team that hasn't learned how to actually win. It will likely go down to the last couple of weekends on whether or not we make post-season. We could have given us ourselves some cushion with a series win this weekend but couldn't get it done. That Friday night loss is one of the most painful I can remember in a long, long time.

vCash
    Yep. It's gotta be frustrating as heck to these kids to fight and battle the whole game and have a win turn into a loss just like that.
    No doubt, this will happen again maybe several times leading late, you know it will be in everyone's head, players and fans. Got to stop the bleeding, not sure we have an answer this year.

Man things really looked good except the 9th.

vCash
    I think we'll be fine.
    We'll be fine. We'll probably sneak into the tournament as a 2 or 3. Then it will just be if Selmon decides that is enough to keep him. I have a feeling his answer will be different than most of the fanbase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    No doubt, this will happen again maybe several times leading late, you know it will be in everyone's head, players and fans. Got to stop the bleeding, not sure we have an answer this year.

We don't. And it's because we have not had a closer since 2021.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Yep. This is where a couple of leaders who are not necessarily the best hitters or pitchers step up and have a players only meeting. It's time to find out who is playing to improve their stats for the MLB draft and who is playing to win games doing the little things well for MSU. Understanding using all fields and not being dead pull hitters have to be drilled into 3 guys heads on this team! Chance, Mershon and ( Hujsak to some degree) seem to have that figured out. Downs and Larry have no business trying to pull the ball or wanting it inside part of plate to be willing to swing until 2 strikes. I'm not sure Hines could hit a ball to left field without cueing it off the end of the bat by accident. Jordan hits a lot of Straight away HRs but not many oppo base hits.

As for our guys batting .350 with RISP, that can be miss leading when you win games 11-3 or 10-4. What is their RISP average in the 10 losses?
    The offense is giving us chances to win, the lack of a closer it's what's killing us. Also we are hitting over 400 with 2 outs and runners in scoring position. The risp numbers say we are hitting when we need to. You can do the research on the losses, I've done the research on the other, but most teams don't hit well in losses that's why you lose.

The lack of a closer is our problem not our offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

Only hope is maybe Dohm can close. Heck after last night we might as well give Hardin a shot, can't be any worse. Ligon still getting the rust off but his stuff is nasty might give him a shot. We gotta find one like yesterday

vCash
    Only hope is maybe Dohm can close. Heck after last night we might as well give Hardin a shot, can't be any worse. Ligon still getting the rust off but his stuff is nasty might give him a shot. We gotta find one like yesterday
    Its really a portal issue. We desperately needed another top end starter or closer or both (depending on how we were going to use Dohm) and really didn't get what we needed. Moving Dohm to a starter role left us short on the back end. Now with Dohm out altogether we are really short all around. I think we do need to make Dohm our late inning guy at this point. Auger is just not good enough for that role in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Its really a portal issue. We desperately needed another top end starter or closer or both (depending on how we were going to use Dohm) and really didn't get what we needed. Moving Dohm to a starter role left us short on the back end. Now with Dohm out altogether we are really short all around. I think we do need to make Dohm our late inning guy at this point. Auger is just not good enough for that role in the SEC.
    Can't argue with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We'll be fine. We'll probably sneak into the tournament as a 2 or 3. Then it will just be if Selmon decides that is enough to keep him. I have a feeling his answer will be different than most of the fanbase.
    Our schedule gets much more manageable. I think we'll be in contention to host, tbh.

vCash
    Our schedule gets much more manageable. I think we'll be in contention to host, tbh.
    You still the man, brother! We definitely have a chance to make it happen. Let's see if we can!

vCash
    You still the man, brother! We definitely have a chance to make it happen. Let's see if we can!
    Gotta find a closer, obviously, but we have the pieces. Nut up or shut up.

vCash
    Gotta find a closer, obviously, but we have the pieces. Nut up or shut up.
    Absolutely, closer is the missing piece. We could have 23-24 wins with a legit closer right now. You nailed nut up or shut up. Time for the "my bads" to be over with!

vCash
    I do think after this next weekend State will be 6-6 SEC. I just don't think our pitching can shut down Georgia hitting for 3 games. And our hitting will likely take a day off again like they did this weekend.