Thread: Go back to merchon at SS

Banned
    vCash

Go back to merchon at SS

We can?t afford to have 2-3 automatic outs in the lineup.

vCash
    2 games workout cupp...
    LSU 15 runs
    Memphis 16 runs

Let's put our worst hitter back out there and sap the offense

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    2 games workout cupp...
    LSU 15 runs
    Memphis 16 runs

Right?!

vCash
    Definitely need to go back to the lineup that was clicking!

vCash
    2 games workout cupp...
    LSU 15 runs
    Memphis 16 runs

Makes no sense. Just low IQ management

vCash
    If Lemonis wants to win back the fans he needs to start using his common baseball sense more.

I get that Cupp is elite defensively. He has a very real chance to be the best SS we have ever had. But that said he is still a freshman. And the lineup has been clicking. It needs to be Amani at 2B, Mershon at SS, Downs in LF, and Chance/Stevens at DH. If we have a lead then bring in Cupp as a defensive replacement and move Mershon to 2B late in the game and take out Larry.

Hopefully we go back to our old lineup tomorrow. But we all know what is going to happen.

vCash
    Yep maybe use Cupp as a late inning defensive replacement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Yep maybe use Cupp as a late inning defensive replacement.
    If we actually had our Friday night guy on the bump, I could almost be talked into cupp at ss on Friday. We don't have dohm right now though, so we can't plan on a 3-2 game... we need offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It needs to be Amani at 2B, Mershon at SS, Downs in LF, and Chance/Stevens at DH.
    I agree with this but unfortunately we are reluctant to DH Stevens for some reason. Thus it seems to be either Chance in the lineup or Cupp in the lineup. It's not a huge difference. Both are mid .200 hitters.

Stevens needs more ABs. That's my biggest gripe with the staff at this point in the season. We're 1/3 of the way thru the season and he has 13 ABs. Whether he missed the fall or not, that's ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    I agree with this but unfortunately we are reluctant to DH Stevens for some reason. Thus it seems to be either Chance in the lineup or Cupp in the lineup. It's not a huge difference. Both are mid .200 hitters.

Stevens needs more ABs. That's my biggest gripe with the staff at this point in the season. We're 1/3 of the way thru the season and he has 13 ABs. Whether he missed the fall or not, that's ridiculous.
    It's because he is a dual position player who also missed most of the fall with an injury. They don't want to rush him.

Right now at this stage in his career he isn't going to hit when they know they are going to pitch him.

I suspect he is going to continue to get Friday's to pitch even when Dohm comes back.

The talent is there but he is a bit more complicated because he is a unique player and is just a freshman. In time I think he will do both but that's probably going to be 2025.

vCash
    It's because he is a dual position player who also missed most of the fall with an injury. They don't want to rush him.

Right now at this stage in his career he isn't going to hit when they know they are going to pitch him.

I suspect he is going to continue to get Friday's to pitch even when Dohm comes back.

The talent is there but he is a bit more complicated because he is a unique player and is just a freshman. In time I think he will do both but that's probably going to be 2025.
    I agree. Theres no reason to push him at this point. He's really good on the mound and can swing it too, and he's going to be a special player. No reason to risk his future at this point. Bring him along slowly and let him acclimate. He's one cool customer too. He's so poised and mature for a true freshman. He's got that Tom Glavine demeanor.

vCash
    If we actually had our Friday night guy on the bump, I could almost be talked into cupp at ss on Friday. We don't have dohm right now though, so we can't plan on a 3-2 game... we need offense.
    I mean Dohm was not great against SEC competition last year. He had a few good appearances but also had a few bad appearances. I still think his fastball, like Stephen, is too flat. However, he has added a breaking ball that's pretty good. I would actually stick with what we're doing and keep letting Siary go on Fridays. Let it be known we're going Siary/Stevens/Schuelke on Fridays and maybe go Dohm/Stephen or vice versa and then Cjintje on Sunday

vCash
    Stevens is a stud in the making. I had a fit real time last night when we let him continue after walking 2 and giving up hard contact. With that said, he still helped his team by eating innings. Still hate the decision to leave him in after hujsak didn't catch the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I mean Dohm was not great against SEC competition last year. He had a few good appearances but also had a few bad appearances. I still think his fastball, like Stephen, is too flat. However, he has added a breaking ball that's pretty good. I would actually stick with what we're doing and keep letting Siary go on Fridays. Let it be known we're going Siary/Stevens/Schuelke on Fridays and maybe go Dohm/Stephen or vice versa and then Cjintje on Sunday
    No idea if he holds up in sec, but...

1.50 era
    0.88 whip
    12.0 k9
    1.5 bb9
    8:1 k to Bb ratio

He's put up a great season so far, so I'd run him out there on Fridays till he gives me a reason now to

vCash
    No idea if he holds up in sec, but...

1.50 era
    0.88 whip
    12.0 k9
    1.5 bb9
    8:1 k to Bb ratio

He's put up a great season so far, so I'd run him out there on Fridays till he gives me a reason now to
    That's what I worry about. He did this same thing in non con play last year. Looked unhittable and got to conference play and that fastball that non con teams couldn't hit, SEC teams were barreling it up. Now, none of that matters because Lemonis is going to put him back on Fridays in the next week or so anyways so we'll just have to see how he looks.

Banned
    vCash
    If Dohm is healthy, he is absolutely our ace. He’s day/night diff than last year. In a ton of ways. When he comes back siary would be my sat starter. Friday I’d go Dohm to shulchke, sat siary to Nolan s, and Sunday jangalang to Stephen.

vCash
    In time I think he will do both but that's probably going to be 2025.
    Lemonis views him as a position player first. If that's the case, he cant sit on the bench for the next 1.5 seasons.
    Jim interviewed Lemonis in yesterday's pregame show. Lemonis's exact quote in regard to Stevens: "He's really a position player that will run out there and pitch for you and he just doesn't over think it. He just attacks."
    Here's the link to that conversation. It's right at the 20:00 minute mark:
    https://hailstate.com/watch?Archive=17986&type=Archive

vCash
    I?m not getting the ?don?t rush him?. Stevens looks the part of being a cool headed talented baseball player. His last two pitching apperences prove he is ready. Yes he can keep learning but he is obvious one of our better pitchers regardless. Also I can?t understand why he hasn?t had more bat attempts. But then again I realize We lack decision making over and over. I?m all in on protecting players but dang play the best 9 every game. I hope we win today and Saturday.