Thread: South Al baseball last night

vCash

South Al baseball last night

I sure did hate to see the streak end the way it did last night. Up early 5-0 then we did nothing much the rest of the game. I'm not gonna say I'm concerned about a mid-week loss against a pretty good USA team and program, but we need to win today. USA seemed to have pitched their entire pitching staff, we had no answer, it concerns me with lack of clutch hitting. Let's hope we bounce back today, what really concerns me going into Friday is our confidence level. It hasn't been very good the last few years, gotta get some fire today and keep it going this weekend. The clock is now ticking for the future of Lemonis, I hope he gets the program rolling again.

vCash
    Our team just seems to lack grit. It is like when an at bat goes long with the batter fouling off pitches. If we are pitching then I expect us to give up a hit, but if we are batting, I expect a strike out. I don't know if it is confidence or something else, but there is something wrong with the program as a whole.

vCash
    I don?t understand not pinch running for cupp as soon as he got on base and then attempting to steal 2nd or bunting him over with Larry. Do that, then mershons bouncer to second puts the tying runner on 3rd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    I don?t understand not pinch running for cupp as soon as he got on base and then attempting to steal 2nd or bunting him over with Larry. Do that, then mershons bouncer to second puts the tying runner on 3rd
    It's lack of detail. Pretty obvious over the years. Need to win today.

vCash
    we do the basic stuff--shitty.

vCash
    Pitcher, big, tall and slow to the plate, catcher hadn't thrown anybody out all night. I'm pinch running for cupp and stealing. Like Base said gotta be detailed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    When Lemonis gets fired this is going to be why.

Lack of detail.

He only does something about it when the fans get upset when he should have handled it already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Lack of detail.

He only does something about it when the fans get upset when he should have handled it already.
    We had lots of little things we could have done last night to win.

- Stay the 17 awake when you are taking a lead off first with a left handed pitcher. It's one thing to get an out with aggressive baserunning, but how can you get off the bag and not 17ing pay attention to the pitcher? It's not like any of our batters get on base enough to get bored with it. They should appreciate everytime they get on base. 17. We left 3 stranded on base that inning. Pay attention while running and we likely get a run and have an extra out to work with with bases loaded. That's probably 1 run added to our score at least. You'd hope more.

- Catch a fly ball in left field instead of bad news bearing it with the communication. That's 2 runs that could have been prevented.

- Don't pull up on a ground ball to second. I have no clue what happened on that play. I don't think it was a routine ground ball but it certainly looked like Mershon could have gotten to it and from my angle it didn't even look like he'd have to dive for it. Just bend over and try to backhand it. Not sure why he pulled up like he did. If someone had a better view would love to know what happened. Not sure I can call that a run that would have been avoided because it wouldn't have been an easy play regardless, but you never know what might happen if you at least make an attempt on the ball.

I know errors and mental mistakes are going to happen, but damn it's frustrating to watch the little league bullshit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    We had lots of little things we could have done last night to win.

- Stay the 17 awake when you are taking a lead off first with a left handed pitcher. It's one thing to get an out with aggressive baserunning, but how can you get off the bag and not 17ing pay attention to the pitcher? It's not like any of our batters get on base enough to get bored with it. They should appreciate everytime they get on base. 17. We left 3 stranded on base that inning. Pay attention while running and we likely get a run and have an extra out to work with with bases loaded. That's probably 1 run added to our score at least. You'd hope more.

- Catch a fly ball in left field instead of bad news bearing it with the communication. That's 2 runs that could have been prevented.

- Don't pull up on a ground ball to second. I have no clue what happened on that play. I don't think it was a routine ground ball but it certainly looked like Mershon could have gotten to it and from my angle it didn't even look like he'd have to dive for it. Just bend over and try to backhand it. Not sure why he pulled up like he did. If someone had a better view would love to know what happened. Not sure I can call that a run that would have been avoided because it wouldn't have been an easy play regardless, but you never know what might happen if you at least make an attempt on the ball.

I know errors and mental mistakes are going to happen, but damn it's frustrating to watch the little league bullshit.
    And it is consistent Little League issues. A lot of the small stuff getting dropped that turns into big stuff.

Haire at Campbell has a better resume right now than Lemonis did when we hired him. Lemonis didn't elevate Indiana, he mostly maintained but actually regressed slightly. He kind of maintained here but inherited a loaded program that was a handful of outs away from playing for a National Title.

We have regressed once that team he inherited slowly left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Lack of detail.

This is apparently not going to change either. And it is totally inexcusable.

vCash
    Pitcher was super slow to the plate. Even Cupp could have stolen second easily. But yea, pinch run if need be.
    I know lemonis is probably thinking he doesn't want to take the bat out of the hands of Mershon and DJ, but being aggressive there is the easy choice due to the fact that the pitcher was so slow to the plate. He was basically a wind up to the plate even with a runner on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Pitcher was super slow to the plate. Even Cupp could have stolen second easily. But yea, pinch run if need be.
    I know lemonis is probably thinking he doesn't want to take the bat out of the hands of Mershon and DJ, but being aggressive there is the easy choice due to the fact that the pitcher was so slow to the plate. He was basically a wind up to the plate even with a runner on.
    I can't understand it. If you brought in a pinch runner while Cupp was on 2nd why would you not go ahead and bring in the pinch runner while cupp was on 1st? Why not ask Larry to bunt so you take the double play ball out of Mershon's mind?
    Like all games, we had chances to put the game away early on but Cupp gave us a chance in the 9th and we squashed it

vCash
    I wouldn't have bunted Larry either with cupp on first. The analytics say better chance of scoring without the bunt. Plus larry is hard to double up.

I personally would have ran early in the at bat, then bunted Larry to put cupp/pinch runner at third with one out with Mershon and DJ up.

vCash
    Auger does need another pitch or be way more consistent than he was last night.

Banned
    vCash
    I wouldn't have bunted Larry either with cupp on first. The analytics say better chance of scoring without the bunt. Plus larry is hard to double up.

I personally would have ran early in the at bat, then bunted Larry to put cupp/pinch runner at third with one out with Mershon and DJ up.
    This is good coaching strategy right here. Exactly what I would have done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    This and it's too late to correct it. Should've been done in the offseason, attention to detail from the day the players report. It's like starting the season out of shape in football; at that point it's too late to overcome it and you are what you are.

vCash
    I'm waiting to see which way the winds are blowing by about 6pm our time on sunday march 31............

vCash
    I was screaming this the whole time. Tall, big, slow pitcher who just interested in throwing hard and a catcher we'd run on all night. Gotta run early in the count. Drove me nuts!

vCash
    He probably didn't want to run because he was afraid we would do something Little League on the bases.