Thread: Hubbard wins Howell Trophy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I would typically agree with you but there isn't alot of defense played in the NBA right now and as the season went on, I realized how good of a scorer Hubbard actually is. He is in a rare group of small gaurds who can score so effortlessly. One advantage that he has is he jumps so high and releases the ball at the apex every single time so its even hard for bigger guards and forwards to affect his shots.

He's a special scorer, if he was 4 to 6 inches taller he would be a top 5 pick this year. His size will hurt him some but there have been some small guards that made it to the NBA so it can happen.
    NBA teams still want guys who can defend. Like I said earlier, there isn't a lot of defense played all the time, but when it's crunch time or the playoffs, defense is absolutely played and you want guys that can give you that.

-He's a very good shooter.
    -He can get to the rim, but he still needs work at finishing
    -He needs to improve his ball handling because he'll have to be a PG because no NBA team wants a 5'10 SG.
    -He needs to improve his defense
    -He's a special player
    -He needs to return to school 1-2 more years to improve

All these things can be true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    NBA teams still want guys who can defend. Like I said earlier, there isn't a lot of defense played all the time, but when it's crunch time or the playoffs, defense is absolutely played and you want guys that can give you that.

-He's a very good shooter.
    -He can get to the rim, but he still needs work at finishing
    -He needs to improve his ball handling because he'll have to be a PG because no NBA team wants a 5'10 SG.
    -He needs to improve his defense
    -He's a special player
    -He needs to return to school 1-2 more years to improve

All these things can be true.
    I'm definitely not disagreeing with you, it will be an uphill battle for Hubbard because of his size, if he didn't play defense but was 6'4" he would still be a lottery pick because he is that good of a scorer. That's what I mean by defense not mattering as much in the NBA. But you are right being that small will cost you on the defensive end and no matter how good you get coached on that side of the ball, you can't teach size.