Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jans brought in 7 players this year

vCash
    We might be a little worse next year, but not much if we keep Hubbard. He's the majority of our offense right now.

vCash
    Where you going to get the 25 ppg between Smith and Jeffries.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    DJ avgs 6.2 ppg

vCash
    Jans says Tolu was injured before the AU game. Didn't say how severe. Might explain his total disappearance on "D" during this losing streak. On "O" he is what he is, a big man who prefers a finese game with reverse layups. He just isn't a leaper or rim protector. His man was a beast yesterday and could also hit the three when he popped outside with no one on him.

vCash
    Ok, then 21-22 ppg......Either way you've got big losses to fill.........Here's what some here don't seem to comprehend and that's how good a defender DJ actually is.......
    Last edited by Saltydog; 03-10-2024 at 12:23 PM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Ok, then 21-22 ppg......Either way you've got big losses to fill.........Here's what some here to seem to comprehend and that's how good a defender DJ actually is.......
    Jones is probably just as good a defender, so not worried about DJ's role. We actually played well without him...since his return, we're 0-4. I realize this isn't just on him.

Tolu is a big hole, but I think we'll find a scorer in the portal. Our money guys have always spent well on MBK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Jones is probably just as good a defender, so not worried about DJ's role. We actually played well without him...since his return, we're 0-4. I realize this isn't just on him.

Tolu is a big hole, but I think we'll find a scorer in the portal. Our money guys have always spent well on MBK.
    Agree, getting inside scoring to replace Tolu will be the issue. DJ, while a plus defender, is a liability on offense. He should be fairly easily replaced.

vCash
    Not going to lie, now that the regular season is over, I'm disappointed. We brought back a veteran team with an All-SEC freshman and we didn't improve our situation one bit. If we lose to LSU we might have gone backwards. Not good.

vCash
    DING, DING, DING........Be careful GT......Some here will persecute you for saying that this year hasn't been spectacular........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Not going to lie, now that the regular season is over, I'm disappointed. We brought back a veteran team with an All-SEC freshman and we didn't improve our situation one bit. If we lose to LSU we might have gone backwards. Not good.
    Geez, I think everyone would have to be disappointed at this point. Even those that weren't disappointed before would have to be disappointed after the past 4 games. I mean we just needed one win out of ANY of those 4 to punch our ticket to the big dance, and in fine MSU fashion couldn't do it. Next year is when you could accept a step back in performance because we are going to have to replace so much of the roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    DING, DING, DING........Be careful GT......Some here will persecute you for saying that this year hasn't been spectacular........
    No one has said this is a great season. No one. The goal at Miss st is to make the tourney, and we are in position to that. In relation to the rest of the country, we have improved slightly. Last season, we were #48 in NET, and right now, we're 42nd. I've said for months now that my goal is to get in and win 1 game... this is a reasonable goal for a team that has flaws. Not sure what you guys were expecting this season...

vCash
    No one has said this is a great season. No one. The goal at Miss st is to make the tourney, and we are in position to that. In relation to the rest of the country, we have improved slightly. Last season, we were #48 in NET, and right now, we're 42nd. I've said for months now that my goal is to get in and win 1 game... this is a reasonable goal for a team that has flaws. Not sure what you guys were expecting this season...
    To me, we've really only had one 'good' year in basketball since Stans left and that was the year we were easily in the tourney under Howland and got sent packing in the first round by Liberty. Other than that, the best we've done was last year's play in game if memory serves.

vCash
    I was expecting to at least be a 7-8 seed with a shot at a 6. Instead, we have to at least win one SEC Tourney game to get in and that might not do it. Lose and we're done. Mirror image to last year. With what we had back and then adding Hubbard we shouldn't be in this spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    I was expecting to at least be a 7-8 seed with a shot at a 6. Instead, we have to at least win one SEC Tourney game to get in and that might not do it. Lose and we're done. Mirror image to last year. With what we had back and then adding Hubbard we shouldn't be in this spot.
    This is what I don't understand about anyone's thoughts about this year's team - "with what we had back.."
    We had the worst shooting team in the SEC last year. The. Worst. And that's not just our typical "we suck" hyperbole when stats show we aren't that bad. We were statistically the worst when you look at FG%, 3Pt% and FT%. FG % was #302 in the country. It was bad.
    We significantly over-achieved last year because of that. We should have never been in the conversation for post season last year - and yet we made it.

This season - our shooting improved tremendously and defense was a little worse (some of that is because of rules/ref emphasis changes beyond us). We went from dead last in the SEC to 6th in FG%, and up to #132 in the country. But where did that get us? It meant we held serve because we OVER achieved so highly last year. Jans is a second year coach, at a school with no real track record of success in the life time of most of today's players - who is on the verge of having this team in the post season his first 2 seasons (which has never happened at MSU).
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 03-11-2024 at 10:42 AM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I'm still hot about not getting Taylor in on rotation. Hubbard is bad defensively too, but scoring matters. Our defense was crap vs good sec teams anyway

ETA... I actually think chol is gonna be a player
    Taylor had personal issues he couldn't get past and sucked on the court. And this team should've competed for a Sweet 16 spot had we recruited better in the portal.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 03-11-2024 at 12:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    There is a reason some players are back for year five and its not always good. Year older, but perhaps not better. Some of these guys hit their ceiling in college. Hard to make NBA, G League or even play overseas.