Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A quick Snapshot of our weekend SP's

vCash
    Austin Pea is pretty good- 10-2 now.

Ga Southern played #21 Campbell tough this weekend winning a game from them
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I agree with this statement in principle, but I think it's really likely that our RPI is lower than would be generally expected from our conference record, regardless of what that record turns out to be. We've probably played a very soft non-conference schedule and haven't even done that well in it. But we'll see. Austin Peay could turn out to be the best team in the ASUN and not a pair of RPI-killing losses, but I doubt any of the other teams we've played will help us at all.
    Even if it is I don't think many of us expected to host anything this year. The RPI's of our SEC opponents should be very high. LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M should easily be top 20 and very likely top 10. A win or two there helps. Most SEC teams we play will be in the top 50. Except maybe Mizzou and Ole Miss.

So at the end of the day it comes down to SEC wins and how we do there. We just have to make sure we win enough OOC games to stay over .500 which we likely will.

And like basketball your last ten games count. Meaning Mizzou is way more potentially damaging than Austin Peay no matter how they end up.

I'm guessing that unless we tank again we end up in the top 50 RPI more than likely if we play up to our potential as a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Austin Pea is pretty good- 10-2 now.

Ga Southern played #21 Campbell tough this weekend winning a game from them
    Austin Peay plays Auburn this weekend. So that will probably tell the tale on them. It's easy to be hyper focused on OOC games like that right now but they really don't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

vCash
    They have been outstanding in 11/12 starts.

Those 11 starts- 45.2 IP/5 ER's- ERA 0.98...67 K's/12 BB's

1 bad start- 2.1 IP/7 ER's...3 K's/1BB

Total- 48 IP/12 ER's..70 K's/13 BB's
    And no help from Holcombe, Ligon, Simmons, and, and Loftin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    And no help from Holcombe, Ligon, Simmons, and, and Loftin.
    Simmons' absence is baffling. He's 2 years post op and still not throwing. Why did we even waste the roster spot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

I would have liked to not play a team like Mount St Mary's because they are pretty awful.
    Yeah, and they almost no hit us. LOL Luckily, we were able to scratch out a win in that game, thanks mostly to our pitching. So, the point is valid - pitching is improved and does not seem to be our problem this year. Hopefully the bats come around, because, frankly, they have been putrid so far. And that's against some really bad competition. We have a looooong way to go if we hope to hit SEC pitching. USM is going to be interesting to watch this week.

vCash
    Mississippi Southern has the same record as MSU and is hitting .239 as a team against the likes of Marist, Indiana State, and Missouri State. Not sure i'd call that playing well if you are trying to prop them up above MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    Simmons' absence is baffling. He's 2 years post op and still not throwing. Why did we even waste the roster spot?
    Apparently had a setback. Word on the screet is to not expect anything from him or Pico this season

vCash
    Apparently had a setback. Word on the screet is to not expect anything from him or Pico this season
    The fact that Simmons still coaches first base is very telling.

vCash
    And on a related note we're starting Karson Ligon tomorrow. We need to get him going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And on a related note we're starting Karson Ligon tomorrow. We need to get him going.
    Yep. I'd like to see him go about 4 innings and then follow him with Loftin for 3

vCash
    Yep. I'd like to see him go about 4 innings and then follow him with Loftin for 3
    Haven't kept up but whats up with Loftin?

vCash
    That would be ideal. But maybe a bit optimistic given that Loftin has only thrown 1 maybe 2 innings this year. I'd be good with 3 from Ligon and 2 from Loftin and then let our bullpen go to work from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Haven't kept up but whats up with Loftin?
    Rumor is that he's been battling some tendonitis. He threw a couple innings vs JSU and looked pretty pedestrian.

vCash
    Both he and Loftin could be a huge help if they can get it going.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-04-2024 at 09:21 PM.

vCash
    Even if it is I don't think many of us expected to host anything this year. The RPI's of our SEC opponents should be very high. LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M should easily be top 20 and very likely top 10. A win or two there helps. Most SEC teams we play will be in the top 50. Except maybe Mizzou and Ole Miss.

So at the end of the day it comes down to SEC wins and how we do there. We just have to make sure we win enough OOC games to stay over .500 which we likely will.

And like basketball your last ten games count. Meaning Mizzou is way more potentially damaging than Austin Peay no matter how they end up.

I'm guessing that unless we tank again we end up in the top 50 RPI more than likely if we play up to our potential as a team.
    The things you are saying do not line up. Just staying above .500 with 13 SEC wins and an RPI above 50 does not put us in the tournament.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The things you are saying do not line up. Just staying above .500 with 13 SEC wins and an RPI above 50 does not put us in the tournament.
    See Alabama 2021. 12-17 with a RPI of 36. I picked top 50 because that's how the committee sees it.

vCash
    See Alabama 2021. 12-17 with a RPI of 36. I picked top 50 because that's how the committee sees it.
    So we are guaranteed it because one team on time with a resume sort of similar did it? Also, no idea what you mean by the committee seeing anything top 50 as the same thing.

vCash
    So we are guaranteed it because one team on time with a resume sort of similar did it? Also, no idea what you mean by the committee seeing anything top 50 as the same thing.
    I never said guaranteed. I said likely. Top 50 = high quad 1 RPI.

vCash
    While this is definitely reason to be hopeful, we have to acknowledge we have played what must be the weakest schedule in the country so far.
    you are either throwing strikes or walking batters.