Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weather dawgs...

vCash
    Roads are quickly icing over from a Batesville to Oxford to Tupelo line. Particularly back Oxford north and west. Travel not advised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I'm an hour east of you and my firewood is cut, split, stacked, and in my garage..... I'm still trying to get used to Tennessee cold
    Me too. But I'm doing much better than my wife. She may not survive another winter!! Lol

vCash
    Was a little worried driving from Grenada to Huntsville this afternoon, but it wasn't bad. Idiots at RSA already closed the base for tomorrow. Guess I should have stayed in Grenada as I'm sure they won't open it Tuesday either. Wifey said there were quite a few cars that had run off I-55 between Batesville & Grenada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Roads are quickly icing over from a Batesville to Oxford to Tupelo line. Particularly back Oxford north and west. Travel not advised.
    Pretty much as forecast. We don't have anything yet, and may not have anything substantial. Everything might scoot to the north of us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbigcreek View Post
    Was a little worried driving from Grenada to Huntsville this afternoon, but it wasn't bad. Idiots at RSA already closed the base for tomorrow. Guess I should have stayed in Grenada as I'm sure they won't open it Tuesday either. Wifey said there were quite a few cars that had run off I-55 between Batesville & Grenada.
    Tomorrow's a federal holiday so not may going to work anyway.

When I first started working for NASA, von Braun's written policy that "you are required to keep your vehicle ready for winter weather". That was before lawsuits were a dime a dozen though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Tomorrow's a federal holiday so not may going to work anyway.

When I first started working for NASA, von Braun's written policy that "you are required to keep your vehicle ready for winter weather". That was before lawsuits were a dime a dozen though.
    True, but I also expect RSA to be closed on Tuesday as well if we get anything close to the snow and ice predicted tomorrow in the Tennessee Valley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    True, but I also expect RSA to be closed on Tuesday as well if we get anything close to the snow and ice predicted tomorrow in the Tennessee Valley.
    I don't know about now, but they used to be really good at cleaning the roads on the Arsenal. Getting to the gate has aways been challenging though.

Temp just now dropped to 32 at my house. No precipitation yet.

vCash
    If you want a good read where the white stuff is go to MDOT and click on cameras.

vCash
    Pretty much as forecast. We don't have anything yet, and may not have anything substantial. Everything might scoot to the north of us.
    Yeah. I've been getting hammered by snow for hours now. And every flake is sticking.

vCash
    I'm a filthy contractor So I work & defer most holidays & take them at the end of the year. When I first started out there (1990), they were not so quick on the trigger for inclement weather. The last few years they seem to close on just the slightest hint of bad weather. I get a kick out of all the civil servants on Facebook begging them to close. One of their favorite lines is "don't you remember 2011?" Well I remember it & I was one of the last out of the building. Power went out while I was on 4 Mile Post going home & stayed out several days.

vCash
    I'm a filthy contractor So I work & defer most holidays & take them at the end of the year. When I first started out there (1990), they were not so quick on the trigger for inclement weather. The last few years they seem to close on just the slightest hint of bad weather. I get a kick out of all the civil servants on Facebook begging them to close. One of their favorite lines is "don't you remember 2011?" Well I remember it & I was one of the last out of the building. Power went out while I was on 4 Mile Post going home & stayed out several days.
    I think this is due to people back in the day having a higher work ethic and not looking for a reason to sue over anything. Businesses and schools close out of an abundance of caution of not being drug into court.

vCash
    Yes, power was out a full week. I live near Toyota Field, and recall seeing the sky turn greenish to the west, then the power went out. That's when the Hackleburg storm moved through and eliminated the main power feeds into the entire Huntsville metro from Browns Ferry. Fortunately, the weather that entire week was perfect - no need for heating or cooling. Having underground utilities is great - that's the only time power has been out except for a few minutes one December when the temp stayed below zero all day and the grid was overloaded.

vCash
    amen. I fully agree. I know of an entire county and city school system that announced last thursday evening that they would be closed due to the incoming rain. It rained some overnite and the precip was totally gone by 10 am friday. It is quite ridiculous with this abundance of caution and what if.

vCash
    I think this is due to people back in the day having a higher work ethic and not looking for a reason to sue over anything. Businesses and schools close out of an abundance of caution of not being drug into court.
    Absolutely. They even do it now in snow country as well. When I was a kid growing up in Meridian, we only had snow a couple of times but schools remained open. At State, we never closed classes because of snow since almost all students lived on campus and could walk to class. One time we were on Easter break and there was a substantial snow and school was delayed a day or two because students had gone home and had trouble getting back to Starkville.

vCash
    Absolutely. They even do it now in snow country as well. When I was a kid growing up in Meridian, we only had snow a couple of times but schools remained open. At State, we never closed classes because of snow since almost all students lived on campus and could walk to class. One time we were on Easter break and there was a substantial snow and school was delayed a day or two because students had gone home and had trouble getting back to Starkville.
    I remember those days too! I'm MHS graduate, class of '83.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    amen. I fully agree. I know of an entire county and city school system that announced last thursday evening that they would be closed due to the incoming rain. It rained some overnite and the precip was totally gone by 10 am friday. It is quite ridiculous with this abundance of caution and what if.
    Last week here on the coast they closed schools down because of expected squall line coming through/

vCash
    This 100%! If you grew up on a farm the weather was no excuse for not getting up and working. It was just another day!

vCash
    I spoke to a meteorologist who told me that he has school officials urging him to basically say the incoming system is bad enough that he should recommend that schools go ahead and close due to the abundance of caution. it is ridiculous

vCash
    I think it's more work ethic than fear of lawsuits. Small businesses where decision makers have skin in the game still tend to work when they can. Government entities and larger businesses with principal/agent problems shut down a lot more quickly. The schools drive me 17ing crazy where I live. They love to shut down at just a hint of inclement weather, and 17 the 90% of parents that actually have to work that day. Been a handful of times where I've had to take off b/c the schools shut down because of "forecasts" of inclement weather and I spent the day at the park with the kids, which was fun, but not really how I wanted to use PTO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think it's more work ethic than fear of lawsuits. Small businesses where decision makers have skin in the game still tend to work when they can. Government entities and larger businesses with principal/agent problems shut down a lot more quickly. The schools drive me 17ing crazy where I live. They love to shut down at just a hint of inclement weather, and 17 the 90% of parents that actually have to work that day. Been a handful of times where I've had to take off b/c the schools shut down because of "forecasts" of inclement weather and I spent the day at the park with the kids, which was fun, but not really how I wanted to use PTO.
    Remember back in the day. Hey there's a tornado on the way, y'all get in the hallway and put your books on your head, and then as soon as it's passed right back to class, lol