PDA

View Full Version : Hunting updates?

WeWillScrewItUp
11-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Has anyone had any luck? Are y'all seeing deer or has it been slow? It has been slow this last week for me down here in SW Mississippi. Only seeing deer right at dark and they are all young bucks and doe. Now that it has cooled off I was wanting to shoot a few slick heads. I shot this one a couple weeks ago but jumped him up trailing him and a friend of mine went and found him for me the next day. I had to work and couldn't do it myself. It's nice to have friends that will help you out.

BeastMan
11-30-2013, 10:55 AM
That's a dang nice buck. My dad is seeing plenty of bucks but both places he hunts, they're trying to only kill buck 3+ years old. He said many of the bucks they are seeing are 2 and a half tops. Most of my buddies that kill a bunch have already killed a doe but they are stalking the big buck right now

WeWillScrewItUp
11-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks Beast. Early in the year I had several nice bucks on cam so I passed on several doe hoping to get a shot at them. Now that I'm ready to go on doe patrol I can't seem to see any until dark when I can't verify they are does. I try my best to make sure not to shoot a button buck. Can't grow the big boys killing them early.

Oxfordawg
11-30-2013, 08:28 PM
My old man killed a 8 point yesterday with 21 1/2 spread not a lot of mass but good for a MS deer

J-Dawg
11-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Got the first opportunity to deer hunt this afternoon. Saw a few turkeys roosting but that's about it.

Decided to sleep in in the morning on the ducks as well. They need a couple weeks to get enough down here to satisfy me.

Oxfordawg
12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Definitely agree on Ducks J went down around Minter City just not happening quite yet

J-Dawg
12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
This weekend not looking awesome weather wise but I may give them a go regardless.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-03-2013, 12:28 PM
There always seems to be a lull between the end of bow season and the beginning of gun season for some reason. I've had nice bucks on camera early in the season and then they vanished right around the beginning of primitive weapon season, only to return around opening of gun season. I don't know if it's one specific thing, but I think it could be a combination of several factors. One is that there are more people in the woods towards the end of bow season and another is that bucks are roaming and setting up their territories. It'd be interesting to see if the acorn crop is depleted during this time as well.

Barking 13
12-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Had 9 does in the backyard the other day.. they are eating the corn, but no rhyme or reason when they come by... it's like they come by every other day, or at night, one- two at a time, or the whole bunch... can't get them figured out. Must be the weird weather

FISHDAWG
12-03-2013, 02:08 PM
beautiful buck

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Had 9 does in the backyard the other day.. they are eating the corn, but no rhyme or reason when they come by... it's like they come by every other day, or at night, one- two at a time, or the whole bunch... can't get them figured out. Must be the weird weather
Is this in a neighborhood or out in the country? My grandmother lives in a neighborhood at the end of a cul-de-sac and I can't pattern the deer out there. It's like they run a loop that takes 2-3 days to complete haha.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Me and my son killed 3 does last week. We did a father/son double from the same stand on our 1st hunt this year. Food plot has been full of does and we're seeing small bucks in our woods stands. Nothing worth shooting yet other than meat.

Barking 13
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Is this in a neighborhood or out in the country? My grandmother lives in a neighborhood at the end of a cul-de-sac and I can't pattern the deer out there. It's like they run a loop that takes 2-3 days to complete haha.

Kinda both.. it's a neighborhood that borders on wooded land in a rural community... deer all over the place around here.. you have to dodge them after dark. Most of the deer kills around here are with a 270 or a Chevrolet..